Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson called a fantastic game.
Lost in the amazing play of Eifert, Dalton and Co is the play calling of Hue. On these boards we have long been moaning about how the offensive play calling isn't quite right. In the past it hasn't made the best of Dalton's abilities. Yesterday however we saw what we have all been asking for.

The formations were creative. We had line shifts, Whitworth in the slot, stacked receivers and play calling that didn't ask anyone to do too much. In fact I loved the fact Hue enabled short passes to become big plays by clever formations. My favourite was on the Sanu 28 yarder linked below, Whiworth mauled his man.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000529395/Bengals-Andy-Daltons-finds-Mohamad-Sanu-for-28-yards

By this point we know Dalton isn't a 'grab the game by the scruff of the neck' QB. So I think it was very important to see Hue be varied and complex not letting the game become to static and predictable. Winning the first game of the season is always important for a number of reasons and yesterday was great. Hope Hue and the team keep this up! WHO DEY!

Reply/Quote
Completely agree.

The only complaint I have is why are they doing a QB sneak with Dalton coming off a neck injury on the same play two weeks prior? Please, don't do that again.

Hue was masterful and I felt the team came out ready to go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Indeed......called a great game....very creative.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 07:05 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Lost in the amazing play of Eifert, Dalton and Co is the play calling of Hue. On these boards we have long been moaning about how the offensive play calling isn't quite right. In the past it hasn't made the best of Dalton's abilities. Yesterday however we saw what we have all been asking for.

The formations were creative. We had line shifts, Whitworth in the slot, stacked receivers and play calling that didn't ask anyone to do too much. In fact I loved the fact Hue enabled short passes to become big plays by clever formations. My favourite was on the Sanu 28 yarder linked below, Whiworth mauled his man.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000529395/Bengals-Andy-Daltons-finds-Mohamad-Sanu-for-28-yards

By this point we know Dalton isn't a 'grab the game by the scruff of the neck' QB. So I think it was very important to see Hue be varied and complex not letting the game become to static and predictable. Winning the first game of the season is always important for a number of reasons and yesterday was great. Hope Hue and the team keep this up! WHO DEY!

I feel like Hue did this same stuff last season.  Difference being he had a full assortment of players.  Having Eifert back in particular is huge.  
Reply/Quote
Hue's play calling on offense reminded me of Paul's play calling on defense against the Patriots last season - exceptional!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 09:50 AM)M.W. Wrote: Hue's play calling on offense reminded me of Paul's play calling on defense against the Patriots last season - exceptional!

You must mean two years ago?  And that was Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 09:48 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I feel like Hue did this same stuff last season.  Difference being he had a full assortment of players.  Having Eifert back in particular is huge.  

It really seemed like he called a better game in the first half alone yesterday than he did on average last season. It could have just been the perception of it being better since it was effective, but those run plays followed up by a quick route then a shot up the seams was a thing of beauty at times. I can't remember being that happy with Hue all of last year, but I guess that could have just been since the players were doing a (mostly) great job at executing yesterday.

You can't ask for a much better half of football on the road to open the season against any team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 09:54 AM)djs7685 Wrote: It really seemed like he called a better game in the first half alone yesterday than he did on average last season. It could have just been the perception of it being better since it was effective, but those run plays followed up by a quick route then a shot up the seams was a thing of beauty at times. I can't remember being that happy with Hue all of last year, but I guess that could have just been since the players were doing a (mostly) great job at executing yesterday.

You can't ask for a much better half of football on the road to open the season against any team in the league.

If you go back and watch the 1Q of the opener in Baltimore last year you'll see alot of what you saw yesterday.  Once Eifert went down everything went out the door.
Reply/Quote
Excellent game by the players & coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 10:59 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: If you go back and watch the 1Q of the opener in Baltimore last year you'll see alot of what you saw yesterday.  Once Eifert went down everything went out the door.

I thought the same thing.  Eifert was targeted early and often in that game.  You could tell he was going to be a big part of the game plan last season.  
Reply/Quote
Seeing Whit split out at WR was funny. Watch him before the snap. LMAO
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Amazing what can be done with our full compliment of players.
Reply/Quote
Some of the formations and shifting were very interesting. We had OTs (Jake Fisher, Andrew Whitworth) split out at the WR position. I guess this makes sense if you're looking for better blocking from your WRs. I assume defenses will figure this out and not bother to try to cover these guys (or do zone coverage on that side and key on the actual WR).

It was pretty cool stuff that would've been easy for us to screw up. Glad we didn't.

Reply/Quote
I'm interested to see how it transitions into next week. The thing that has me worried about his offense is does it fizzle out at some point in the season? They had a lot of time to prepare for that raider game. They were polished and ready to go. I want to see how it looks with only a week of preparation. It was really fun to watch so I hope there are many wrinkles and nuances we can use to keep it going! 
Reply/Quote
I love when we play all of these formations just from the stand point that opposing teams have to gameplan for that.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 04:33 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I love when we play all of these formations just from the stand point that opposing teams have to gameplan for that.

Me too, and the offensive penalties were pretty much non-existent which is surprising. They should be even better at pulling them off this week. The offense will be in the top 10 this season.
Reply/Quote
We got everyone involved, but Marvin Jones had only one target, and it would have been a tough catch in the end zone. He should have made it, though.

Effect, Green, Sanu, Gio, and Burkhead all caught balls yesterday. Gio and Jeremy accounted for a combined 160+ yards. Hue runs this offense to create an open target for Andy. I wonder how long it will be before other teams copy what we're doing.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
He definitely called a great game and it was really fun to watch.  In the "Game Ball" thread, I even said maybe he deserved one for how he called the game.  I can't wait to see what we do against the Chargers.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
good call, Hue was dialing them up yesterday
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 09:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You must mean two years ago?  And that was Zimmer.

Yea probably so, too many beers to get the details right lol but I do remember ... kinda... lol
Reply/Quote