Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson called a run play on the last offensive snap
We could have ran it then taken a quick timeout if we got the first. Hue also admitted to calling the play but I'm not sure if he's just saving face for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
The way Dalton answered, it was difficult to say if it was an audible. His common sentence is "we had a look that we wanted, but couldn't connect". It is interesting to us fans but it's over and done with.

Dalton had so many choices on that throw, the defender's back was there, could have been a come back route, inside throw, pylon throw. I hate seeing that image of how wide open Gio was.

It will be great the day we get a full field view of all receivers and are able to zoom in ourselves, it should be coming with 4K resolution - main camera zoomed out, audience members allowed to zoom into normal field view (1080p) or zoom out for 4K full field view. Then we get to see what Dalton sees.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Horrible decision by Andy, hand it off to Gio and it's a first down or at worst it takes precious time off the clock. That play cost us the game.
Reply/Quote
Holy crap Gio definitely had the room for a 1st down and probably a whole lot more.  Right up the gut.

Oh well. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This is what happens when you try to go for the kill instead of playing it safe. Let's all keep this in mind the next time Marvin makes a conservative call that we hate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We were going for the kill, a minute left at that yardage mark. Ez first down, game was in our hands. If Dalton wants to throw that pass he needs to work on it lol, his accuracy was well off that game.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 04:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yup. I pointed this out multiple times.  Dalton saw a favorable matchup and took the shot.

I say that's a shot you take on 2nd down, not third down in that situation. Bad audible (if he did check out of the run). A first down at that point gets you 3 more shots at a TD and takes time off the clock. If the run fails, you still kick the FG from there (just like with an incompletion) but you run 30 more seconds off the clock.

Ultimately I think we would have lost in OT anyway, seeing as how Palmer was able to move at will up and down the field. But I wa hoping he would revert to his old Bengals self and throw the pick 6. That would have been icing on the cake.
Reply/Quote
FFS, it's pretty obvious is was a read option play. He saw the mismatch with Green and went there instead of giving Gio the ball. It was the right read, the throw was off. It shouldn't have been an option in my opinion. I would have liked to have seen the HB in and a power set and smashed it in there....that takes that option of the pass off the table. All in all....it wasn't a bad play call, and it wasn't a bad read.....it just wasn't executed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Not much negativity here. Feels good to read.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 02:21 AM)Beaker Wrote: I say that's a shot you take on 2nd down, not third down in that situation. Bad audible (if he did check out of the run). A first down at that point gets you 3 more shots at a TD and takes time off the clock. If the run fails, you still kick the FG from there (just like with an incompletion) but you run 30 more seconds off the clock.

Exactly. It wasn't a TD/FG either/or proposition. If they get the 1st down they take a timeout and still have their last one with (at most) about 20 yards to go and a minute left. Running the ball there would not have been playing for the FG. They would have had at least 3 more shots to get a TD and possibly more if they gotten a 1st and goal situation. It's disingenuous to say that particular call was going for the kill while running it would have been playing it safe.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 09:39 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Exactly.  It wasn't a TD/FG either/or proposition.  If they get the 1st down they take a timeout and still have their last one with (at most) about 20 yards to go and a minute left.  Running the ball there would not have been playing for the FG.  They would have had at least 3 more shots to get a TD and possibly more if they gotten a 1st and goal situation.  It's disingenuous to say that particular call was going for the kill while running it would have been playing it safe.

No kidding.   Some are defending the call tooth and nail.   Basically, it was a low percentage choice followed by a very poor throw.  It had to be a really well placed throw especially with the tight coverage.

You don't see Brady and the Patriots making these kind of mistakes.  They usally play safe by playing the odds.  Lets hope if we see them in the playoffs, we aren't faced with a serious clock management decision, because it seems that we're still struggling in that department. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I was listening to Mo Egger, and Tony Pike put it the best way you could have for that last possession. Marvin should have told Hue, no matter what play he calls he must keep the clock running, then Hue should have told Andy the same. If Andy's going to change the run to a pass, then he better be damn sure he makes that throw.

This obviously didn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 10:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is what happens when you try to go for the kill instead of playing it safe.  Let's all keep this in mind the next time Marvin makes a conservative call that we hate.

This times 10000.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 09:58 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: You don't see Brady and the Patriots making these kind of mistakes.  They usally play safe by playing the odds. 

That's funny.  I could have sworn that Belichick was such a great coach because he always "played to win instead of not to lose".

Marvin is a bum because he is too conservative until we play aggressive and lose.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 10:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is what happens when you try to go for the kill instead of playing it safe.  Let's all keep this in mind the next time Marvin makes a conservative call that we hate.

If Andy wanted to go for the kill he should have gotten the first down. Then we could have gone for the kill at least four more times.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That's funny.  I could have sworn that Belichick was such a great coach because he always "played to win instead of not to lose".

Marvin is a bum because he is too conservative until we play aggressive and lose.

I've never heard anyone complain about the team going for the first down on 3rd and short instead of throwing a deep ball to the corner of the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:05 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: If Andy wanted to go for the kill he should have gotten the first down. Then we could have gone for the kill at least four more times.

Are you criticizing the play call or the play execution?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:10 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: I've never heard anyone complain about the team going for the first down on 3rd and short instead of throwing a deep ball to the corner of the end zone.

I have seen complaints like that all the time.  Everyone that has been here and on the prior board has seen them.  In fact if we had ran the ball on third down and ended up losing in overtime you would have been seeing the same thing right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen complaints like that all the time.  Everyone that has been here and on the prior board has seen them.  In fact if we had ran the ball on third down and ended up losing in overtime you would have been seeing the same thing right now.

No one would have complained that we didn't throw a 40 yard bomb on 3rd and 2.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:26 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: No one would have complained that we didn't throw a 40 yard bomb on 3rd and 2.

I am sure pretty much everyone would complain about a 40 yard bomb from the 25 yard line.
Reply/Quote