Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson fed up with Bungles image.....
I would imagine this sort of statement that the Bengals need to put their laughingstock image in the past would really stick in the craw of the people around here who think making the playoffs 4 years in a row is a veritable golden age. I mean, Hue is pretty much saying what the message board "haters" around here say about just making the playoffs not being all it's cracked up to be. Also, interesting lack of fact-check on the 1990 Bengals beating Oakland in the playoffs since the Bengals lost to the Raiders who were in LA at the time. Meh, stupid intern!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
"Jackson spoke candidly to reporters following Wednesday's minicamp, saying he has seen how January's playoff loss at Indianapolis sent the franchise over the edge looking for solutions to its postseason woes."

I'm not sure they actually found many solutions, did they? Did I miss something besides MJ, which may or may not be that big of a deal? Our biggest weakness still remains the last time I checked, but I don't see any other options at this point.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 11:31 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: "Jackson spoke candidly to reporters following Wednesday's minicamp, saying he has seen how January's playoff loss at Indianapolis sent the franchise over the edge looking for solutions to its postseason woes."

I'm not sure they actually found many solutions, did they?  Did I miss something besides MJ, which may or may not be that big of a deal?  Our biggest weakness still remains the last time I checked, but I don't see any other options at this point.

We improved greatly from last year just from getting healthy. Our offense has some great weapons on it this year (Green, Jones, Moore, Sanu, Eifert, Hill, Gio). We upgraded our defense by getting Micheal Johnson back, and Atkins being 100% (or at least they say). We picked up Sims, and Thompson will be healthy, so we can rotate our D-line like we did in 2013, and that will improve it by a lot IMO. We will have Burfict back by the end of the year, and we added depth to our LB position (Dawson, Hawk). Our secondary will be really good next year too. All I see are a lot of positives, and the ONLY way I don't see us winning a playoff game is if we have a ton of injuries like last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I would imagine this sort of statement that the Bengals need to put their laughingstock image in the past would really stick in the craw of the people around here who think making the playoffs 4 years in a row is a veritable golden age.  I mean, Hue is pretty much saying what the message board "haters" around here say about just making the playoffs not being all it's cracked up to be.  Also, interesting lack of fact-check on the 1990 Bengals beating Oakland in the playoffs since the Bengals lost to the Raiders who were in LA at the time.  Meh, stupid intern!

No one here is satisfied to just make the playoffs and lose.

That is just a strawman the haters like to set up so they can knock it down.
Reply/Quote
This is somewhat confusing. I for one come with the hammer, AND the whip cream. It's never failed me. One night at Johnny Cupcakes house, I even came with the grape jelly.

But saying you're tired of being the laughing stock and doing something about it are two entirely different things. Let's get at it this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one here is satisfied to just make the playoffs and lose.

Ida know, I think I have to disagree.  I recall people on the old board actually wondering if the 2011-2015 run (this was prior to us losing to Indy, I think) was the high-watermark of Bengals football.  I think people were citing the fact that the Anderson and Esiason eras (hell, toss Palmer in there too) may have had some higher highs but also had some lousy 4-win seasons in there.

I thought it was presented as a legit argument, and I think fans' fear of change of any type is an indication that we want the status quo to remain. I can't entirely disagree.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I would imagine this sort of statement that the Bengals need to put their laughingstock image in the past would really stick in the craw of the people around here who think making the playoffs 4 years in a row is a veritable golden age.  I mean, Hue is pretty much saying what the message board "haters" around here say about just making the playoffs not being all it's cracked up to be.  Also, interesting lack of fact-check on the 1990 Bengals beating Oakland in the playoffs since the Bengals lost to the Raiders who were in LA at the time.  Meh, stupid intern!

The curse of Bo Jackson lives on.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one here is satisfied to just make the playoffs and lose.

Like the strawman claiming that it was said that people are satisfied to just make the playoffs and lose? Can you please show me where in Nately's post that he said people were happy losing in the playoffs?

That's just a strawman the homers like to set up so they can knock it down.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: know, I think I have to disagree.  I recall people on the old board actually wondering if the 2011-2015 run (this was prior to us losing to Indy, I think) was the high-watermark of Bengals football.  I think people were citing the fact that the Anderson and Esiason eras (hell, toss Palmer in there too) may have had some higher highs but also had some lousy 4-win seasons in there.

I thought it was presented as a legit argument, and I think fans' fear of change of any type is an indication that we want the status quo to remain.  I can't entirely disagree.

......and anytime Marv is questioned.....the four straight playoff appearances defense is wheeled out like clockwork.  You are absolutely correct.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......and anytime Marv is questioned.....the four straight playoff appearances defense is wheeled out like clockwork.  You are absolutely correct.

We're starving for success of any type...I get it.  Hell, I live in Pittsburgh and the idea of the Pirates posting winning seasons 3 years in a row, whether they lose in the playoffs or not, has fans all hot 'n' bothered.  I used to work at Wrigley Field and there were actually Cubs fans mocking Yankees fans because they hadn't won a World Series in over a decade...teams just have different established standards.  It gets pretty absurd at times.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote:  Can you please show me where in Nately's post that he said people were happy losing in the playoffs?

Here

(06-18-2015, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: the people around here who think making the playoffs 4 years in a row is a veritable golden age. 

Next question.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I would imagine this sort of statement that the Bengals need to put their laughingstock image in the past would really stick in the craw of the people around here who think making the playoffs 4 years in a row is a veritable golden age.

(06-18-2015, 12:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Like the strawman claiming that it was said that people are satisfied to just make the playoffs and lose? Can you please show me where in Nately's post that he said people were happy losing in the playoffs?

That's just a strawman the homers like to set up so they can knock it down.

Unless I forgot we won a playoff game the last 4 years, that's exactly what he just said.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here

Next question.

(06-18-2015, 01:01 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Unless I forgot we won a playoff game the last 4 years, that's exactly what he just said.

Saying something is the golden age of the Bengals' franchise is now saying "people are happy that we lost in the playoffs"???

You guys have an awfully strange way of reading into a statement.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Saying something is the golden age of the Bengals' franchise is now saying "people are happy that we lost in the playoffs"???

Strange way of reading into a comment?

In what world does calling something "the golden age" mean you are not happy with it?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Saying something is the golden age of the Bengals' franchise is now saying "people are happy that we lost in the playoffs"???

Meh, it's a little of column A and a little of column B on this one.  I'm not saying people are saying they'd be 100% happy if we went one-n-done 4 times and that was it, but I think there is plenty of evidence that Bengals fans declare "success" faster than fans of teams with better histories; and that makes perfect sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, it's a little of column A and a little of column B on this one.  I'm not saying people are saying they'd be 100% happy if we went one-n-done 4 times and that was it, but I think there is plenty of evidence that Bengals fans declare "success" faster than fans of teams with better histories; and that makes perfect sense to me.

I have seen fans of the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, and all other great teams celebrate making the playoffs.

Only a few Bengal fans seem to think that making the playoffs is meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Strange way of reading into a comment?

In what world does calling something "the golden age" mean you are not happy with it?

You're telling me there aren't Bengals fans who are happy with the past 4 years?  Like, anything short of elated.  I mean, people were arguing that Dalton was the best QB the Bengals ever had...even better than the two QBs that got us within breathing distance of being world champions because "4 straight playoff appearances."
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen fans of the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, and all other great teams celebrate making the playoffs.

Only a few Bengal fans seem to think that making the playoffs is meaningless.

I'm sure the few Steelers fans that said "Well, you can't win if ya don't get in!" after the Steelers got Te-bonered in the playoffs were told to shut up and look mad.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, it's a little of column A and a little of column B on this one.  I'm not saying people are saying they'd be 100% happy if we went one-n-done 4 times and that was it, but I think there is plenty of evidence that Bengals fans declare "success" faster than fans of teams with better histories; and that makes perfect sense to me.

Absolutely, which is exactly what I knew you were saying.

Being "successful" is relative, and a lot of people think 4 playoff appearances is great success while fans of other teams may not agree.

Some people like to pull the strawman of "you're saying we're happy losing in the playoffs!!!" when we aren't saying that. We're saying that people define success differently and are overly excited to just make the playoffs, we aren't saying that you're happy with the losses though. You'd think someone that (supposedly) made it through law school could figure the difference out. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 09:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would be nice. 

I'm always leery of even nibbling on the preseason lip service cause we read and hear it every year. 

It would be nice if the team came out and punched people in the mouth and then stomped on them, not worrying about the score. I'd just like to see a hard hitting team that keeps putting pressure on your until the 4th quarter winds down to zeros instead of getting a lead and then trying to coast to the finish. 

I've always felt that our strategic approach to coasting on a lead backfired more than it helped.  It's a game of momentum and that approach typically yields a rapid swing in momentum.

Create a culture of domination - without being dirty - and you'll come into the game with an advantage.  And if not you'll have a heck of a game.
Reply/Quote