Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hughes to the Philadelphia
Hughes claimed by the Phillies and Romano back to AAA.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Huges was in the plans next year. I think they will attempt to re-make the bullpen.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hughes is just one of those guys you can't help but like, I wish him well. There was a point earlyish last season when it looked like Romano was gonna be a good un. He's faded ever since. I'm losing faith in Disco pretty quick as well, to many HR's to many 0-2 1-2 batters end up on base, can't get past 5 inning.
'
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 05:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hughes is just one of those guys you can't help but like, I wish him well. There was a point earlyish last season when it looked like Romano was gonna be a good un. He's faded ever since. I'm losing faith in Disco pretty quick as well, to many HR's to many 0-2 1-2 batters end up on base, can't get past 5 inning.
'

Disco may not be back after this year.  Reds may think the lights go on for Mahle.  Saves them money in the end.  Hughes and Hernandez were very good last year.  Sad to see them decline.  I think a new bullpen for next year will help the Reds.  They may also attempt Gausman as the 5th spot.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 06:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Disco may not be back after this year.  Reds may think the lights go on for Mahle.  Saves them money in the end.  Hughes and Hernandez were very good last year.  Sad to see them decline.  I think a new bullpen for next year will help the Reds.  They may also attempt Gausman as the 5th spot.  

The bullpen has faded a lot since the All Star break, really it started right before the break. Iglesias has struggled, a lot ! And they still are gonna have to get better starting pitchers and/or the guys they have now need to improve. You really need a LH starter and just on and on.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 05:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think Huges was in the plans next year. I think they will attempt to re-make the bullpen.

This. They really need a total rebuild back there. What do they need, like 5 new relievers?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 06:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote:  You really need a LH starter and just on and on.
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=666157#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

I think that's why they drafted Lodolo.  Supposedly many think he will be the 1st draftee to make the majors.  Probably still a year, and hopefully no more than 2 years away.  He has pitched well so far albeit at the lower levels.  But 30 K's and zero walks you cant argue with so far.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 06:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The bullpen has faded a lot since the All Star break, really it started right before the break. Iglesias has struggled, a lot ! And they still are gonna have to get better starting pitchers and/or the guys they have now need to improve. You really need a LH starter and just on and on.

That's what happens, when they get too much work..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hughes has been struggling lately. Not surprised the Reds moved on. They need to get some good relief pitchers to contend next year.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's what happens, when they get too much work..

(08-16-2019, 01:21 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hughes has been struggling lately. Not surprised the Reds moved on. They need to get some good relief pitchers to contend next year.

Yep

I think the bullpen is much weaker than it appeared early on. We need some fairly serious help in there to be a true contender next season.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I think the bullpen is much weaker than it appeared early on. We need some fairly serious help in there to be a true contender next season.

Having a staff of starters that can go 7 innings strong, on most outtings, is a great way to improve the performance and lifespan of your bullpen.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having a staff of starters that can go 7 innings strong, on most outtings, is a great way to improve the performance and lifespan of your bullpen.

For sure !

At least 6 anyways. And that's one of Disco's big downfalls, he's like Mr. 4 and 1/3
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure !

At least 6 anyways. And that's one of Disco's big downfalls, he's like Mr. 4 and 1/3

Yep, and that supports my theory that the current bullpen wasn't as lacking in talent, as much as they were simply overworked.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, and that supports my theory that the current bullpen wasn't as lacking in talent, as much as they were simply overworked.

And it's common for people to underestimate or just not understand that just because a reliever only has 2 and 1/3 innings this week is not the whole picture. 

He's been up warming up 7 other times, those pitches aren't free ! And they don't normally just sit for 5 days or whatever totally resting their arm.
Reply/Quote