Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunter Greene
….has been shut down and will undergo Tommy John surgery. He was shut down last year in hopes he could heal without surgery but now has a tear.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's always been a risk having a youngster who can throw over 100 mph. Luckily it's not the 1940s when such an injury meant the end for good. He's still young so hopefully there will be many great years from him. On the other side, hopefully by the time he's all set to go his contract won't have expired. Somehow I think it probably will.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So Reds Super Star Pick of the future to have Tommy John Surgery. When will my Reds catch a break. This is a HUGE setback. This kid was suppose to be our future Bob Gibson and lead this team back to the top. Now he will have a Tommy John arm. Awful News to hear.uries

It seems all Reds top pitching picks get major arm injuries in minors. Maybe Reds Farm System has something to do with this and ruins a lot of young pitchers ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dwight Gooden debuted at 19, and while farfetched, Greene was 17 when we drafted him. That kind of youth and star quality is gone. Green is 19 now and will be 20 in Aug. Still young, but the phenom hype, much more clouded. This is like a punch to the gut to a team who cant catch a break developing starters out of their farm system.
Reply/Quote
Well, another one bites the dust. I personally don't think he will be all that great anyway. The best pitchers are usually throwing with less speed and more control.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
It's not the worst possible problem with HG.. The worst possible problem would be something like an inoperable brain tumor, a spinal injury or something really bad. TJ surgery has been wildly successful for the most part with a few who don't make it. He hasn't exactly been blowing away minor league hitting, but maybe, just maybe the surgery will work wonders for him and the team and he'll bounce back next year throwing even better and make it to MLB just as his contract expires.. I'm gonna remain optimistic and say he throws great over the next 15 years and decides to remain a Reds pitcher his entire ML career someday for a huge discount and never ask for the big bucks even throwing 100 mph breaking every ML record along the way.. <---too much?  Nervous

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Talking with former pitchers (high school, college and pro), they seem to think elbow injuries come from throwing breaking stuff too young, not throwing fastballs really hard.
Reply/Quote
Dick Williams says it's a separate tear from the previous one that fully healed. If true, time to turn him back into a shortstop. He would have been a 1st round pick at that position anyway.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 08:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Talking with former pitchers (high school, college and pro), they seem to think elbow injuries come from throwing breaking stuff too young, not throwing fastballs really hard.

It kind of plays in together. Throwing a breaking pitch as a flame thrower puts that much more strain on things I would think.. Good thing he doesn't throw a screw ball. That's one pitch that really hurts after a few throws.. That was my out pitch, but man...once you run out of steam it's Tball time.. LOL

Reply/Quote
Guys come back from TJ surgery all the time. Take a deep breath, for shit sake.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
One of my favorites

[Image: 355e3b-320x320-hunter-green-color.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree, turn the kid back into SS.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think it’s too soon to turn him back into a SS. I’ve never been big on drafting high school kids though. If you have someone that has 4 more years of development and an established history, it seems like you’re way further ahead. They drafted Hunter to be a starter and how many innings has the kid pitched in the last 4 years? I’d rather draft someone that needs less years in development, even if the ceiling isn’t quite as high. There’s too many negative things that can happen in all of the extra years of development. Hunter is probably still 4 years away from the bigs.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 02:20 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Hunter is probably still 4 years away from the bigs.

4 is probably a best case scenario. I don't see it happening until 2023.

2019: Out
2020: Out for most of it and when he comes back he will have a very limited workload before the season ends. A Ball
2021: If 2020 went well, he will go to A+. Will probably throw 120-ish innings before being shut down maybe in AA.
2022: If 2021 went well, he will go to AA. Will hopefully throw 160-ish innings, and finish the season in AAA.
2023: Will start the season in AAA for service time reasons (assuming that's still a thing after the next CBA) before coming up to the majors.

That's a timelime assuming that he has 0 setbacks, 0 injuries, and everything goes well. Keep in mind he had a 4.48 ERA in A Ball, while going about 3.2 IP per start and two separate UCL tears in two seasons.

- - - - - -

Meanwhile if they move him back to SS, he is ready for Spring Training 2020. Also his advancement through the minors isn't limited by inning counts, but by his performance. Not to mention much much less risk for injury setbacks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote