Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hunter Henry Off the Board
Goes to the Patriots. 3 years 37 million dollars.

The Pats have now spent a combined 87 million dollars on Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry, the top two Tight Ends in free agency.

I mean, it makes sense. Tight Ends are huge factors in today's game. And if anyone knows what they're doing it's Bill Bellichick.

Meanwhile, we're standing pat with CJ Uzomah (1,098 yards and 8 TD's through 6 seasons) and his achilies injury, and Drew Sample, who is the world's biggest bum.

But I keep forgetting. Our offense doesn't use the Tight End like others. It's by design, and Zac Taylor definitely knows what he's doing.
Reply/Quote
If Kyle Rudolph doesn't see the offers it would be nice to see him come home. He has enough in the tank and is a descent red zone threat. One less need to go into the draft with regardless of how the team uses them.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 11:24 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Goes to the Patriots.  3 years 37 million dollars.

The Pats have now spent a combined 87 million dollars on Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry, the top two Tight Ends in free agency.

I mean, it makes sense.  Tight Ends are huge factors in today's game.  And if anyone knows what they're doing it's Bill Bellichick.

Meanwhile, we're standing pat with CJ Uzomah (1,098 yards and 8 TD's through 6 seasons) and his achilies injury, and Drew Sample, who is the world's biggest bum.

But I keep forgetting.  Our offense doesn't use the Tight End like others.  It's by design, and Zac Taylor definitely knows what he's doing.

Don't forget that good teams build through the draft and plenty of talent left and dont over pay and blah blah blah

Good teams find ways to improve and win.

NE misses the playoffs once and goes off. They have to be a favorite to win the East again. 

Watch them use the draft capital to move up and get their guy at QB since they loaded up in FA.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Guards and tight ends, not really our thing. Also, linebackers and rushers, not really a priority here in Cincy.

But we love us some wide outs and corners.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 11:41 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Watch them use the draft capital to move up and get their guy at QB since they loaded up in FA.

This is my thought as well.

I think they gave Cam that cheap incentive laden deal knowing they were going to target a QB in the draft.  He'll either serve as a stop-gap and/or as a mentor.

I don't know if they'll move up, or if they do how far, but I have to think the have their eyes on a QB in rounds 1-3.  And I'd put the odds on round 1 as the favorite.

What we're seeing here is a plan in action.  They clearly went into free agency with a well-thought plan and are rebuilding their roster before our eyes. 

On a lesser note, Kansas City is another team with a clear plan.  They cut two OL early, both prior to the start of FA, and then immediately target (and land) the best OG on the market.

But here?  We've made one cut, BJ Finney who was obvious because he carried no dead cap and was an add-on to make the financial of a trade work.  We're replaced one departing player with another of comparable value.

Our team as it stands is pretty much exactly the same.  We've yet to do anything to remake our roster.  Hell, we can't even cut bait from Gio Bernard and his 5 million dollar or salary.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 11:24 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Goes to the Patriots.  3 years 37 million dollars.

I mean, it makes sense.  Tight Ends are huge factors in today's game.  And if anyone knows what they're doing it's Bill Bellichick.

But I keep forgetting.  Our offense doesn't use the Tight End like others.  It's by design, and Zac Taylor definitely knows what he's doing.

The problem with pursuing Henry is there's a good chance that Pitts is the bpa at 5 if Sewell and Chase are gone.  

From another standpoint, the Bengals have been pursuing G's, CB's, and edge rushers in FA, which makes sense, as there are gaping holes in the starting lineup at those positions.  While we could definitely upgrade at TE, I think it's rightfully lower down the priority list.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is my thought as well.

I think they gave Cam that cheap incentive laden deal knowing they were going to target a QB in the draft.  He'll either serve as a stop-gap and/or as a mentor.

I don't know if they'll move up, or if they do how far, but I have to think the have their eyes on a QB in rounds 1-3.  And I'd put the odds on round 1 as the favorite.

What we're seeing here is a plan in action.  They clearly went into free agency with a well-thought plan and are rebuilding their roster before our eyes. 

On a lesser note, Kansas City is another team with a clear plan.  They cut two OL early, both prior to the start of FA, and then immediately target (and land) the best OG on the market.

But here?  We've made one cut, BJ Finney who was obvious because he carried no dead cap and was an add-on to make the financial of a trade work.  We're replaced one departing player with another of comparable value.

Our team as it stands is pretty much exactly the same.  We've yet to do anything to remake our roster.  Hell, we can't even cut bait from Gio Bernard and his 5 million dollar or salary.

We've signed 2 guys and both are downgrades from who they will be replacing. 

A bad team getting worse. Seems like a solid strategy. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: The problem with pursuing Henry is there's a good chance that Pitts is the bpa at 5 if Sewell and Chase are gone. 

I could be wrong, but I don't see the Bengals taking Pitts. 

Even if we traded down out of the 5 spot, and he was magically still there further down I still could see us passing on him.  Why?  Because this team is stupid and they're perfectly content with Uzomah and Sample.

There's probably people in that building (Katie, Troy, Duke, and Zac) that would liken a TE acquistion as an admission of failure.  They don't want to admit they gave Uzomah too much money or that they whiffed on Sample.  So they're not even going to consider bettering the position.  (Side note: May be the same situation with Bobby Hart.  Troy got awful defensive about that deal.  Probably don't want to improve there either because their pride would take a hit)

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they're going to do a damn thing at TE.  That's why Hopson has mentioned numerous times that "with Uzomah coming back and Sample...".  Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the Bengals themselves names Drew Sample as their "breakout player" in an article on the front page.
Reply/Quote
What's interesting with Belichick is there seems to be a coherent plan. He's going heavy with two TEs like he did with Gronk and Hernandez. When the Bengals make moves, the larger scope plan isn't evident (I'm also just a fan with below average football IQ).
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I could be wrong, but I don't see the Bengals taking Pitts. 

Even if we traded down out of the 5 spot, and he was magically still there further down I still could see us passing on him.  Why?  Because this team is stupid and they're perfectly content with Uzomah and Sample.

There's probably people in that building (Katie, Troy, Duke, and Zac) that would liken a TE acquistion as an admission of failure.  They don't want to admit they gave Uzomah too much money or that they whiffed on Sample.  So they're not even going to consider bettering the position.  (Side note: May be the same situation with Bobby Hart.  Troy got awful defensive about that deal.  Probably don't want to improve there either because their pride would take a hit)

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they're going to do a damn thing at TE.  That's why Hopson has mentioned numerous times that "with Uzomah coming back and Sample...".  Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the Bengals themselves names Drew Sample as their "breakout player" in an article on the front page.

In a best case scenario, Uzomah is probably a 500-650 yard guy. That would put him around 10th in the league.
Uzomah was 16th in targets per game, 10th in receptions per game, and 10th in yards per game in 2020 amongst TEs.

With Uzomah coming off an Achilles injury though, it seems like a gamble for not a great reward. It also doesn't help that if Uzomah goes down, Sample is the starter. Samples per-game stats were 37th in YPG, 35th in TPG, and 28th in RPG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t have paid Hunter Henry that much money. Way too much for somebody like him.
Reply/Quote
Unless you envision us in a 2 TE alignment one of these pass catching - not so much blocking TEs is a waste here. Our OL issues force us to keep our TE inline a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:27 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wouldn’t have paid Hunter Henry that much money. Way too much for somebody like him.

Henry is Tyler Eifert 2.0.   He's been in the league since 2016 and hasn't played a full season yet.  Very similar stats too. 

Henry = 196 rec, 2322 yds  21 tds

Eifert = 221 rec, 2501 yds  26 tds
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uzomah was 16th in targets per game, 10th in receptions per game, and 10th in yards per game in 2020 amongst TEs.

I'm sorry, I can't take per game stats seriously when we're discussing someone who played in 2 games.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm sorry, I can't take per game stats seriously when we're discussing someone who played in 2 games.

It's about all you really can. Those who have optimism about Uzomah have to base it off the trend of his 2 games in 2020.
Those who don't can point to the fact he's never had more than 439 yards and 3 TDs in a single season, and that was a season in which he started 15 games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Overpaid for Cam and now for 2 TE's...

We can still pay some good O-lineman and pass rushers, take Sewell, Pitts or Chase and get a quality Tackle or two
with the depth in this Draft. Wouldn't of paid Henry that much.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Overpaid for Cam

You must have not looked at the contract.  He basically signed a backup level deal.

2.5 million dollar signing bonus
1.5 mil base salary
1.5 mil total in roster bonus (paid per game)

He has 9 million in incentives attatched to the playoffs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro, MVP and Superbowl.

Worst case scenario, he's getting 5.5 millon if sticks on the roster all year.  Best case, they just got a Pro-bowl/All Pro level QB who wins a Superbowl in 2021, and wins MVP, for 14 million bucks.

Fwiw, here's some comparable QB's and their salaries to compare to the 5.5-14 mil deal Cam just inked:

Andy Dalton - 10 mil
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 10 mil
Taysom Hill - 12 mil
Jacoby Brissett - 7.5 mil
Case Keenum - 7 mil
Jameis Winston - 5.5 mil

It sounds like, barring a return to his absolute prime and a Superbowl, that Cam Newton will make well under 10 million dollars.  In fact, he'll probably make under 8 mil, even if he starts every game.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 07:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You must have not looked at the contract.  He basically signed a backup level deal.

2.5 million dollar signing bonus
1.5 mil base salary
1.5 mil total in roster bonus (paid per game)

He has 9 million in incentives attatched to the playoffs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro, MVP and Superbowl.

Worst case scenario, he's getting 5.5 millon if sticks on the roster all year.  Best case, they just got a Pro-bowl/All Pro level QB who wins a Superbowl in 2021, and wins MVP, for 14 million bucks.

Fwiw, here's some comparable QB's and their salaries to compare to the 5.5-14 mil deal Cam just inked:

Andy Dalton - 10 mil
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 10 mil
Taysom Hill - 12 mil
Jacoby Brissett - 7.5 mil
Case Keenum - 7 mil
Jameis Winston - 5.5 mil

It sounds like, barring a return to his absolute prime and a Superbowl, that Cam Newton will make well under 10 million dollars.  In fact, he'll probably make under 8 mil, even if he starts every game.

Thanks, I just heard they paid Cam 14 mil on a one year contract. That is much different.
Reply/Quote
I dont.understand the love affair this front office and coaching staff has with Sample. Teams miss on 2nd RD picks all the time.
Pitts has dynamics and intangibles this offense has been.missing
For awhile
Reply/Quote
Bill is spending like a drunken sailor. Think he’s maybe a little annoyed seeing Brady win it all without him? Lol

Reply/Quote