Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hurricane Harvey
(08-30-2017, 12:16 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/41/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

If that's what he's referring to, passed House and Senate without amendment, just a straight up $9 billion FEMA increase to help those effected by Sandy. Cruze and Cornyn were both against it. A few other GOP lawmakers were against it, but as I understand it, they  were more upset because they wanted to tack on tax breaks or spending cuts and that was nixed by leadership. 

Thanks for reminding me of my disgust for my detestable Representative.
(08-30-2017, 12:16 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/41/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

If that's what he's referring to, passed House and Senate without amendment, just a straight up $9 billion FEMA increase to help those effected by Sandy. Cruze and Cornyn were both against it. A few other GOP lawmakers were against it, but as I understand it, they  were more upset because they wanted to tack on tax breaks or spending cuts and that was nixed by leadership. 

I guess I'm thinking of something else.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-30-2017, 01:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess I'm thinking of something else.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/29/ted-cruzs-claim-that-two-thirds-of-the-hurricane-sandy-bill-had-nothing-to-do-with-sandy/?utm_term=.9c2bf7c2ff1d

Refers to a followup bill from the first. Some opinion to it, but points out where Cruz (erroneously) came up with 2/3rds of the Sandy relief bill was pork. 

I find Cruz pretty detestable all around, and this just furthers that. In a nutshell, anything that wasn't dollars for picking up downed trees or knocking down flooded buildings, he considered pork. Like, paying for roof repairs on public buildings or repairing public shoreline, or a lot of other things that might have been covered under CDBGs.
(08-30-2017, 12:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There are quite a few clergy I follow on social media that have been making some rather interesting puns about Osteen and this guy.

Care to share some? I love some good puns.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-30-2017, 03:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Care to share some? I love some good man buns.

Mellow
(08-30-2017, 03:57 PM)Benton Wrote: Mellow

I said GOOD puns. Mellow
(08-30-2017, 03:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I said GOOD puns. Mellow

No Olsteen puns, but every time I see him I can't help but think he's what it would look like if Tim Allen and the Joker had a baby. Then I have this weird flash of Tim doing his Tool Time grunting and the Joker laughing and then... never mind.
I've listened to Olsteen a couple of times on the radio. I've enjoyed some of his I guess they are sermons.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-30-2017, 11:33 AM)Benton Wrote: These are the kind of sweeping generalizations that exaggerate our problems.

Small school professor makes idiotic statement about Trump, ergo all academia is anti-Trump.

There has actually been report after report of professors saying and doing idiotic things that are anti trump.

Where there is smoke there is fire.
(08-30-2017, 03:04 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/29/ted-cruzs-claim-that-two-thirds-of-the-hurricane-sandy-bill-had-nothing-to-do-with-sandy/?utm_term=.9c2bf7c2ff1d

Refers to a followup bill from the first. Some opinion to it, but points out where Cruz (erroneously) came up with 2/3rds of the Sandy relief bill was pork. 

I find Cruz pretty detestable all around, and this just furthers that. In a nutshell, anything that wasn't dollars for picking up downed trees or knocking down flooded buildings, he considered pork. Like, paying for roof repairs on public buildings or repairing public shoreline, or a lot of other things that might have been covered under CDBGs.

Why do we need federal dollars in these areas anyway? This should be a state issue with other states and charities helping as needed.
(08-30-2017, 03:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I said GOOD puns. Mellow

I can't remember them verbatim, but one was about him being more concerned about rising tithes than rising tides. There was another one that was better and for the life of me I can't remember it right now.
(08-30-2017, 01:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess I'm thinking of something else.

No, they've just been saying that the bill was 2/3rds pork or something like that as a defense. I think it was straight up 70% for Sandy relief and the rest went towards stuff that was Sandy related but didn't have to do with the direct impact zone on the East Coast. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Wow. Pretty disgusted.

Cant take too much disaster news. Finally went through the news channels.

Cnn. They are saving these old people over here
Msnbc. This chemical plant is going to blow up.
Fox news. Liberals are scum
https://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/343471/mike-pence-bible-verse-shouldnt-fund-katrina-relief/?utm_source=share-fb&utm_medium=button

Quote:Reminder: Mike Pence used the Bible to explain why we shouldn’t fund Katrina relief

In News by Jennifer M. Wood / August 30, 2017
EMAIL
TWEET
STUMBLE

[Image: pence-katrina-funding-video-1504094295-compressed.jpg]

Back in 2005, when he was just a lowly congressman — but still a spineless, Bible-touting dbag — Mike Pence had the audacity to stand up in front of Congress and actually use a verse from the Holy Book (Matthew 7:25, to be exact) to explain why the government shouldn’t be using any of their hard-won dollars to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

With his trademark phoniness intact, the so-called Christian, who is now a heartbeat away from the presidency, stood in front of his colleagues and, after stating that “Katrina breaks my heart,” explained why it was up to the people of New Orleans — a city that was 80 percent underwater at the time — to deal with their own problems:

Quote:“When I consider its tragic aftermath, the ancient parable comes to mind: ‘And the rains descended and the flood came and the winds blew and beat against the house and it fell with a great crash.’

For most American families, when a tree falls on your house, you tend to the wounded, you rebuild and then you figure out how you’re going to pay for it. Later today, Congress will continue the work of funding the relief and recovery from Hurricane Katrina. And well we should, by spending more than $50 billion to FEMA and other agencies.

But as we tend to the wounded, as we begin to rebuild, let us also do what every other American family would do in like circumstances and expects this congress to do. Let’s figure out how we’re going to pay for it. Congress must ensure that a catastrophe of nature does not become a catastrophe of debt for our children and grandchildren.”

It’s funny that Pence took a family-focused approached to Katrina, and yet still came to the conclusion that Congress had done enough and now it was up to the city’s residents to clean up their own mess. In case you’ve forgotten, here’s what New Orleans looked like at the time:
[Image: AP_050825022903-1504097928-640x453.jpg]
But yeah, Pence is right. Hurricane Katrina was totally the equivalent of a tree falling on your house — if that tree caused an estimated $108 billion in damage and killed close to 2,000 Americans. Definitely an apt comparison.

Of course, now that he’s a vice president who is hoping he might be able to move into the Oval Office one day soon, he’s changed his tune slightly…
[/url]
[Image: AT6wrMl0hCwsWXac.jpg]

Quote:

[url=https://twitter.com/VP] Follow
[Image: DioqomJy_normal.jpg]Vice President Pence 

@VP
As @POTUS said today: "We are one American family...to the people of Texas and Louisiana: We are 100 percent with you."
7:25 PM - Aug 28, 2017

Yep, that’s us, America. One big happy family — unless you’re gaytransgenderblackMuslimJewishfemale or someone who refuses to believe that white supremacists are very fine people.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-31-2017, 12:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/343471/mike-pence-bible-verse-shouldnt-fund-katrina-relief/?utm_source=share-fb&utm_medium=button

So when did he say they shouldn't fund Katrina relief?

(08-31-2017, 07:30 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So when did he say they shouldn't fund Katrina relief?

In his political "well we'll do it...but we have to figure out how we are going to pay for it first" line.

See, I'd argue that in his example I'd have looked at it as "my roof is gone...I can't afford to fix it, but I need a roof.  So I'm going to fix it, protect my family, and then figure out how to pay it back."  Versus sitting my family down and explaining that I'm cutting the cable and electric and water and selling their bikes before we start making repairs.
(08-31-2017, 08:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: In his political "well we'll do it...but we have to figure out how we are going to pay for it first" line.

See, I'd argue that in his example I'd have looked at it as "my roof is gone...I can't afford to fix it, but I need a roof.  So I'm going to fix it, protect my family, and then figure out how to pay it back."  Versus sitting my family down and explaining that I'm cutting the cable and electric and water and selling their bikes before we start making repairs.

Not exactly what the article states though is it?

(08-31-2017, 09:11 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Not exactly what the article states though is it?

Sure it is.  He didn't want to fund it unless we could "afford" it.

Very Christian.

Much compassion.
(08-31-2017, 09:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sure it is.  He didn't want to fund it unless we could "afford" it.

Very Christian.

Much compassion.

Quote: explained why it was up to the people of New Orleans — a city that was 80 percent underwater at the time — to deal with their own problems:

Quote: Mike Pence had the audacity to stand up in front of Congress and actually use a verse from the Holy Book (Matthew 7:25, to be exact) to explain why the government shouldn’t be using any of their hard-won dollars to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Quote:For most American families, when a tree falls on your house, you tend to the wounded, you rebuild and then you figure out how you’re going to pay for it. Later today, Congress will continue the work of funding the relief and recovery from Hurricane Katrina. And well we should, by spending more than $50 billion to FEMA and other agencies.

But as we tend to the wounded, as we begin to rebuild, let us also do what every other American family would do in like circumstances and expects this congress to do. Let’s figure out how we’re going to pay for it. Congress must ensure that a catastrophe of nature does not become a catastrophe of debt for our children and grandchildren.”

I don't understand why Kentucky doesn't just send the Ark down to Texas.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]