Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical Cap if we cut or trade players
(03-22-2023, 01:14 PM)IronTiger Wrote: So I'm not sure I understand all that's involved but is there any way Mixon and Williams could be traded for Austin Eckeler of the Chargers? Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

I personally dont think so.  Eckeler's price is too high.  He will be making close to 8 million this year and he wants a big raise.  If we got rid of Mixon, it would be to save cap space.  I cant see the Bengals getting rid of one high priced RB to turn around and sign another even though Eckeler is a better RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jake had me reading until he started discussing practice players. Only the Top 51 salaries count against the cap. The 18 million is accurate or a lot closer than 10 million left. He also top 53, again it is Top 51. It appears he is not caught up on how the cap is calculated. Over the cap figures account for us getting 7 draft picks (included already in Top 51) also.

(03-22-2023, 12:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Buffalo Bills Brandon Beane is referenced by an ESPN author as saying cap space needs to be reserved for practice squad players. I'm not sure why the author states this. Perhaps the author just threw in his own interpretation?

"Beane said the Bills will have about $9 million in cap space once everything is processed with some of that needing to be reserved for things like the practice squad (about $3.5 million last year), the team’s 2023 draft picks, and costs for potential injuries.

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/37925/where-the-bills-stand-ahead-of-free-agencys-second-wave-and-what-could-be-next

Once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap.  The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL’s exempt lists.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 01:14 PM)IronTiger Wrote: So I'm not sure I understand all that's involved but is there any way Mixon and Williams could be traded for Austin Eckeler of the Chargers? Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

Why would we do that?  Eckeler is openly complaining that he is underpaid at 6.5M.
He has one year left on his contract, he want to be paid 12M+, he will be 28 years old...

I'm a hard, extra hard pass on this, as are most teams it would seem...?

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:48 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap.  The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL’s exempt lists.

TY, your comment is correct, after preseason, the salary cap is based on top 53 salaries.

A practice squad player does not make the league minimum so they will never be a part of the top 53.

IN most cases players 52 and 53 make less than $900,000 so after preseason, each team is looking at less than 2 million for 53 players versus 51.

TY for clarifying.
  • Per the collective bargaining agreement, teams must count their top 51 players with the largest salary CAP hit towards that year’s salary CAP. Then, after the preseason ends, the number of players counted against the salary CAP goes up to 53.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:51 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we do that?  Eckeler is openly complaining that he is underpaid at 6.5M.
He has one year left on his contract, he want to be paid 12M+, he will be 28 years old...

I'm a hard, extra hard pass on this, as are most teams it would seem...?
I didn't realize he was looking for a huge payday.  I had seen in the national media that he wanted to be traded and that Cincinnati had mentioned as a possible landing spot for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 02:37 PM)IronTiger Wrote: I didn't realize he was looking for a huge payday.  I had seen in the national media that he wanted to be traded and that Cincinnati had mentioned as a possible landing spot for him.

He's been pretty vocal complaining about his 6.5M, expecting double.  And at 28 years old this season.... I dont see him getting it or anyone much caring for that attitude, but that is just me.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 12:16 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: I saw this tweet by Jake Liscow.

So in a hypothetical where we trade Jonah and cut Mixon there would still be the possibility of close to $30M still in the cap. I am not sure if he is figuring LC in that or not.

The big wave of FA is pretty much over. So I don't see that money going toward any impactful FA for this season. Plus I think the Bengals are coveting the comp picks they could still receive from our FAs lost.

In my limited understanding of how the salary cap works, I thought we could carry some of it over to next year, correct? I would think that would be the most ideal in this scenario to help offset any big cap hits in the Higgins and Burrow extensions.

Otherwise, could you just rework some contracts like Hendrickson or Brown Jr. to further front load their cap hits to this season and reduce them in the future when we have to pay Burrow, Higgins, Chase, and Wilson?

It seems like the Bengals could go either way. Old-school Mike Brown would stick with both Jonah and Mixon. Even if overpriced, it seemed like the selling point of the past Bengals' culture was that players got their contracts paid regardless of performance and team makeup. Plus there was the Carson Palmer situation similar to Jonah's now in which MB stuck to his guns until an impossible offer came up. However, I feel like new school Bengals with Katie and Duke would work with Jonah to either get a decent trade or convince him to play RT as well as keeping Mixon but at a reduced rate.

All in all, it seems like with or without them, there is still some decent cap to play with it. What can/will they do with it whether it be $9M or $30M?

Should have DJ Reader in our thoughts as well for another extension. Dude is one of our most important players by far and this is 
the last year of his contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 04:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Should have DJ Reader in our thoughts as well for another extension. Dude is one of our most important players by far and this is 
the last year of his contract.

DJ will be 30 years old in 2024. I love him, but not sure I think we should give him another huge contract.

This may see the Bengals target a DT in round 2 or 3 of the draft this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 05:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: DJ will be 30 years old in 2024. I love him, but not sure I think we should give him another huge contract.

Did we forget the Monday Night football game on Halloween with the world watching how we got beat to a pulp without Reader?  We have to re-sign Reader.  The strength of our defense starts up front with the Dline and the anchor of that line is Reader.  We can't afford not having Reader.   Everybody witnessed what Cleveland was able to do to the Bengals defense without Reader.  I think we need to extend him before the season starts.  Dont let him play his final year and have him become a free agent.  You want to see the Bengals defense fall apart? If we dont have Reader in 2024 we will see it.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 05:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: DJ will be 30 years old in 2024. I love him, but not sure I think we should give him another huge contract.

I don't care, DJ was playing the best of his career last season. I think he could be elite for 2 or 3 more years. We need him.

At least a couple year extension for DJ would make me feel so much better about our Defense.

(03-23-2023, 10:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Did we forget the Monday Night football game on Halloween with the world watching how we got beat to a pulp without Reader?  We have to re-sign Reader.  The strength of our defense starts up front with the Dline and the anchor of that line is Reader.  We can't afford not having Reader.   Everybody witnessed what Cleveland was able to do to the Bengals defense without Reader.  I think we need to extend him before the season starts.  Dont let him play his final year and have him become a free agent.  You want to see the Bengals defense fall apart? If we dont have Reader in 2024 we will see it.

I don't know if the Defense would fall apart, depends on the moves but I sure as hell wouldn't gamble on it. Yes, get the deal done before 
the season along with the Burrow and Wilson deals. If we extend Tee, great but I think all these of these players are the most important for
the future besides Chase of course and building up the trenches on both sides. Don't gamble and lose your best DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jake had me reading until he started discussing practice players. Only the Top 51 salaries count against the cap. The 18 million is accurate or a lot closer than 10 million left. He also top 53, again it is Top 51. It appears he is not caught up on how the cap is calculated. Over the cap figures account for us getting 7 draft picks (included already in Top 51) also.

The NFLPA, which accounts for all expected cap charges, also has the current available space at 10m.
Reply/Quote