Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hypothetical - Dalton for Mariota?
(10-16-2019, 01:22 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Assume for a second it could just be a one-for-one deal.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

TEN can still make the playoffs and has a decent line. AD could thrive there and likely live to see his 35th birthday. Dalton is a much better bet for them than Tannehill, for the love of cold french fries in a Wendy's Frosty.

Mariota is mobile enough with some tools, and maybe he learns something under Taylor.

It's worth a freaking try.

Straight up?? no.
Need Draft Pick as well for that trade. Mariota is in final contract year. So we'd get him for a handful of games and Tenn gets better QB and for one more year??
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I honestly don't think Mike Brown makes many, if any, decisions any more. I firmly believe Katie and Duke and Troy are running the team. I think the only reason he hasn't made a big public deal about him letting Katie et al take over is because he wants to wait until the team is doing well. Then he can say, he's stepped back and the team is Katie's and look how well she's doing.

Ehh, I sure hope Katie and Troy aren't secretly running the team right now.  The only hope we have is that Mike Brown is still running this team into the ground and things will get better when he stops running it.  If you are telling me that he's not running things and we can't tell the difference that's pretty scary.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Straight up?? no.
Need Draft Pick as well for that trade. Mariota is in final contract year. So we'd get him for a handful of games and Tenn gets better QB and for one more year??

As is Dalton.

MM is younger and swarthier, so that increases his value. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They need to see what Finley can do against #1s, to decide if he's worth starting or if he's a backup/cut before they draft another QB.

To be honest, it's not gonna matter. Once Dolegala gets his chance, we're never looking for another QB again. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, I sure hope Katie and Troy aren't secretly running the team right now.  The only hope we have is that Mike Brown is still running this team into the ground and things will get better when he stops running it.  If you are telling me that he's not running things and we can't tell the difference that's pretty scary.

Yep. I'm HOPING Mike Brown is still leading the charge, but I believe he's not. Just hope Katie and Kompany can at least learn to do better. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:24 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: As is Dalton.

MM is younger and swarthier, so that increases his value. 

Dalton has one more season to play on his contract. Mariotta's contract ends this season.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yeah, but Mike has NEVER been shy about taking a franchise QB. 

MB has had plenty of chances to take a shot at a franchise QB but while Palmer and Dalton were starting he's done nothing of the sort.  I'm not saying he should have, but he's not shown any interest in moving on from a starting QB since 2002.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be honest, it's not gonna matter. Once Dolegala gets his chance, we're never looking for another QB again. ThumbsUp

EvAr!!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. I'm HOPING Mike Brown is still leading the charge, but I believe he's not. Just hope Katie and Kompany can at least learn to do better. 

Sadly, I don't think Mike Brown and his family see "doing well" as having much if anything to do with winning on the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'd say no. Not a popular opinion, but we have the best bridge qb available this offseason on the roster already.

This 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sadly, I don't think Mike Brown and his family see "doing well" as having much if anything to do with winning on the field.

I don't disagree, but I still hold out hope that Katie is smart enough to recognize that Daddy's way of doing things has NOT worked and they need to get with the times. They sort of showed this by going with Zac as HC. So there's hope, but who knows how it'll all work out?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't disagree, but I still hold out hope that Katie is smart enough to recognize that Daddy's way of doing things has NOT worked and they need to get with the times. They sort of showed this by going with Zac as HC. So there's hope, but who knows how it'll all work out?

There is hope, I just feel like Mike Brown's way has worked swimmingly for his family and I don't see Katie saying "Well, my ol' man gave me a great life and lifestyle, time to do a 180!"
Reply/Quote
Mariota is a worse version of Dalton. He holds the ball way too long and behind this line would be sacked at a much higher rate than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations.
Reply/Quote
Keep Dalton here as a backup, start Finley. Let the year ride out and see what we got. Then we decide.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, I sure hope Katie and Troy aren't secretly running the team right now.  The only hope we have is that Mike Brown is still running this team into the ground and things will get better when he stops running it.  If you are telling me that he's not running things and we can't tell the difference that's pretty scary.

Unfortunately, we've all heard the saying "the apple doesnt fall far from the tree." Although, compared to Paul and Mikey, that apple not only fell from the tree but it landed on a walnut and shot it into the street where it got run over by a garbage truck and somehow it rained and washed it into the yard and it lived on to recreate. Probably what we are going to see in the next Gen of Bengals ownership.

Too much?

Seriously, I hope Katie takes after Paul. There is the generational skip thing we have going for us. But that husband of hers doesn't look promising. 

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'd say no. Not a popular opinion, but we have the best bridge qb available this offseason on the roster already.

Agree, I just don’t think Mariota is very good. Like someone else said in another thread, watch out for Cam. Again I hope that’s a trade/pickup that never happens. Time to see what we have in the other guys. Could you imagine if Finley or Delagadagadado turn out to be Brady like. We would have a quality QB at minimum pay so we can fix the other 42k holes in this team.
Reply/Quote
Titans are on all the time here. I have seen Mariota play several games. I was impressed early in his career but he does not seem to have improved any.

His rookie year he had no talent around him. The 3 win Titans entire offense seemed to be TE Delani Walker. HC got fired in the middle of the season. But Mariota posted a 90+ passer rating and made a lot of plays with his legs.

Next year the team improves dramatically on both sides of the ball. More talent talent and new coaches. Titans inprove to 9-7. Mariota throws 29 tds, runs for 350 yards, and posts a 95+ rating. He is looking like a special talent. The only concern was that he had missed the final game of both seasons due to injury.

In his third season Mariota took a huge step back. He missed some time with a hamstring injury early in the year but had a passer rating in the 70's before the injury. He finished with more interceptions (15) than tds (14) and a 79 passer rating. The fans really turned on him because that team had a lot of talent. They won a playoff game that year. Marcus actually played well in the postseason, but a lot of people felt he was too fragile and was holding them back.

Fourth season (last year) he gets injured in the first game of the year. Mariota plays 14 games but only throws 11 tds. Titans would have made the playoffs again if they had won their final game, but Mariota was out with another injury and they lost.

The people who spin everything to make Dalton look as bad as possible will point out that Mariota had a 90+ passer rating last year, but they don't mention that he only averaged 186 yards per game and only threw 11 tds in 14 games.

And the biggest reason he has fallen out of favor in Nashville is the fact that he can't stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
Not interested personally. Dalton's most important role should soon be mentoring a young QB while he plays out the last year of his deal
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 08:59 PM)Brimey Wrote: Not interested personally. Dalton's most important role should soon be mentoring a young QB while he plays out the last year of his deal

I like Dalton, but if they're taking a QB in the first I have no interest in keeping him around to mentor another 1st rounder who doesn't contribute as a rookie.

If AJ Green is himself, keep him around. That'll give the new guy two top WRs. Fix the damn line, and hope we can outscore people til they do the same on the other side of the ball.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote