Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical: IF we fill several starting needs in free agency...
What position would you draft?

Assume we sign a RT and LBs like Fort and Hicks and we retain Eifert. We'd still need a Guard possibly.

What position do you then draft?

I'm thinking that opens us up to take a DT/WR/QB.

Why WR? AJ Green is 30. We really need a WR3. Green and Boyd are both approaching free agency.

QB? Dalton is good but not great. We could draft a QB and develop him. Generally a new coach likes to bring their own QB.

DT? Why. Geno is 30 plus wow pairing Geno with an elite DT could make a stout defensive line.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What position would you draft?

Assume we sign a RT and LBs like Fort and Hicks and we retain Eifert. We'd still need a Guard possibly.

Why WR? AJ Green is 30. We really need a WR3. Green and Boyd are both approaching free agency.

QB? Dalton is good but not great. We could draft a QB and develop him. Generally a new coach likes to bring their own QB.

DT? Why. Geno is 30 plus wow pairing Geno with an elite DT could make a stout defensive line.

Open to any of this if we have a FA like that.

Hockenson would also be a thought in this scenario for sure. Hock is a freak that can go up for the ball like Eifert but block like Reggie Kelly, could be the next Gronk. Then grab a RG like Lidstrom in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What position would you draft?

Jonah Williams or DL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What position would you draft?

I still daft Devin White if he's available

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It just opens up for best player available. If that is still a Linebacker like Devin White, fine. If Haskins somehow falls to #11 then you could take him or trade out for someone that wanted him. If Jonah Williams is on the board he could play all over the offensive line and would be a good pick. If Ed Oliver is available still and you want to add another pass rusher and he is BPA then snag him. See how Free Agency could really open up the draft? It sure would be nice to see the Bengals participate and add a Darryl Williams at Right Tackle and a KJ Wright and/or Jordan Hicks at Linebacker.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
You did not mention re-signing Dennard.

If we don't do that then CB in round one is almost a lock.
Reply/Quote
I would still draft a RT because it’s a bad free tackle market so I’m assuming the one we sign won’t be any good. I’m all set with overpaying for Ja’wan James. Glenn is the only tackle on our roster if we can’t win the line of scrimmage it won’t matter how good our skill players are. I would go OT in the first and go linebacker in the second to pair with a good free agent LB that we signed. BPA in the second could be another option. No qb’s worth taking will be there at 11.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Open to any of this if we have a FA like that.

Hockenson would also be a thought in this scenario for sure. Hock is a freak that can go up for the ball like Eifert but block like Reggie Kelly, could be the next Gronk. Then grab a RG like Lidstrom in the 2nd.

I did look him up after you suggested him and he does indeed look good.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You did not mention re-signing Dennard.

I honestly doubt we could bring the guys in from my scenario and keep Dennard.

Although, I guess we could waive Burfict and maybe another player or two to clear more space.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:50 PM)pally Wrote: I still daft Devin White if he's available

That was my first thought as well. He’s pretty much my top choice at 11 even if we sign one.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You did not mention re-signing Dennard.

They could also sign look to sign a guy like Munnerlyn or Poole as cheaper options.
Reply/Quote
BW Webb has been brought up as a possible Dennard replacement. Worked with Anarumo last year and was solid in the slot when he played there. Hard to imagine his value will be up there enough to drive the Bengals away.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I think this is the way to go. I haven't watched him play all that much but the scouting reports seem to rave about the guy and it's our biggest position of need IMO. Even if we sign a guy or two at LB there's still going to be a spot for him, and I'd think you could maybe find an interior lineman early in the second.

Fred's right, too - CB is a dark horse need that a lot of people don't seem to be talking about. 
Reply/Quote
Fred is right, in this scenario, if Dennard isn’t re-signed it has to be a CB in round 1. Otherwise it is BPA. One thing is for sure, no matter the splashes (or lack there of) in FA, the Bengals are going to have an opportunity to add a talented starter to their roster at 11.

Reply/Quote

I agree and I wouldn't hesitate to make that pick. My 40 up to the podium would make JR look like he's stuck in the mud.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 02:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I honestly doubt we could bring the guys in from my scenario and keep Dennard.

And you still think we would go DT, WR, or QB before CB in the first round?

Confused
Reply/Quote
Can't have too many OL. If one is (very close) the BPA at that point i believe you gotta grab him I don't like reaching, I do like BPA aporoach, with slight midulations for immediate needs. Very slight
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I honestly don't believe Dennard will be back. Word is he wants to be paid like/play as an outside corner and not as a slot guy.
Reply/Quote
Has he shown top ourside corner play so far?
If not, does he have the physical tools to get coached up to that level?
If either is "yes", can Dre then be cut and his money used to resign Dennard?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
It HAS to be White in the draft.

I think every other need can be filled via free agency or later picks.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote