Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Hypothetical) Who Would You Take at 31 in This Scenario?
(04-09-2022, 03:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: That's a tough one. I immediately thought Receiver because I know there will be more than 4 off the board by the time we draft. But I would probably say Winfrey as he fits more of a need. Honestly if the board went like this I'd be hoping we trade back and pick up an extra pick.

Trading back for an extra pick is prob my thinking as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 08:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That Franchise Guy (Marcus Whitman) thinks the Texans are going to take McCollum at the top of the second round and references his athleticism (and his connection to the Houston area) as a reason why. It's a little rich for my blood because we're ultimately looking for someone who can contribute from day 1 and I don't think McCollum is that. However, his athleticism is tantalizing and if we took him at 31, I wouldn't be devastated. I think it's just a half round too early for him.

The tone of your post impllied that you were saying, sarcastically, "If you only care about RAS, here's a guy with a 10."

I think RAS is a really good way of comparing players who have similar production or similar projection to the NFL, but it's far from my end all, be all.

I know Jelani Woods, the TE out of Virginia also scored a 10 and has been linked to the Bengals in the 2nd round a lot since his pro day, but his tape is ROUGH. I don't want the Bengals to take him until the 3rd or 4th round at the earliest.
I'm happy with Woods in the 3rd and yes I know all about McCollum and ( Marcus Whitman) knows his stuff. I think McCollum would play his 1st year and then take over for Apple next year or maybe even later in the season if he proves it. With the way the board went in this scenario I think if they were set on CB he would be hard to pass on. I'm not as high on Burks as some or I would just take him.
Reply/Quote
Ojabo or trade down. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If all of the following 30 players were off the board when the Bengals select at 31, who would you select from players still available and why?
NOTE - No trading the pick for this

8 DL off the board:
Hutchinson
Thibodeaux
Karlaftis
Johnson II
Walker
Davis
Leal
Wyatt

7 OL off the board:
Neal
Ekwonu
Cross
Penning
Green
Johnson
Linderbaum

7 DBs off the board:
Stingley
Gardner
Hamilton
Hill
Elam
McDuffie
Booth

4 WRs off the board:
Williams
Olave
Wilson
London

2 LBs off the board:
Lloyd
Dean

2 QBs off the board:
Willis
Pickett

I think you did a great job but most have at least 6 receivers and McShay 7. So in that case add 2 receivers who would you pull?
Reply/Quote
Burks and it’d be an easy choice for me unless I’m forgetting someone else who is still on the board in that case.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 03:21 PM)puddycat Wrote: Top on my Board:
Raimann OT- I'm not sold on Smith, Prince, or no injuries.  Hopefully stuck on depth chart for a couple of years.
McCreary CB - Criminally underrated - especially after improving his 40 at his pro day. Cause he's got short arms. - likely to see field
Burks WR- Great potential #4 some questions at slot. - likely to see field
Gordon -CB  More position versatility than McCreary, but less scheme versatility. Needs to improve tackling. - has bust potential IMO

You were the first to highlight him, so I will stop and comment here.  I could see this two ways:  The way I believe the Bengals will go, and the way I would go.  

The Bengals will likely go with McCreary because he plays in the toughest conference, and they will love his athleticism.  Gordon would be a close second, but his time was not only slow on that really fast track, but he refused to run at his pro day.  It is very odd, and I can't help but think he has a nagging injury.  I know he tested outstanding on every other measure, but still.  Between the two CBs I would take McCreary slightly over Gordon.

I would (and this is not a homer pick, and since we can't trade) go with Alec Pierce out of UC.  With the ascending pricing of top flight WRs, I think he could be a really good value and would provide the team with a lot of options next year when Tee becomes a FA, and I believe he would get snaps his rookie season either due to injury or simply giving guys a blow/4 WR sets.  The Bengals offense takes the greatest hit if a guy like Chase or Higgins is injured.  They need another top flight WR.  

I like Pierce better than Burks and I see great positional value in the WR.  I think there will still be some good talent in Rd 2 at safety and CB, but these mocks that are having Pierce available as a late 2nd round pick just make no sense to me.  

I'm sure I will get hammered going WR over CB here, but I see Pierce as a phenomenal talent that will exceed his college production in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote
Matt Araiza SD State

Just kidding but I absolutely hope this kid ends up in Bengals stripes to go along with Evan.

No question for me it would be Roger McCreary under this scenario which could be very close to what is available.

Don't think there will be more than 2 QB's going in the 1st round albeit there will be a couple of surprise picks to help a few of the players listed slip. Yet still think McCreary would have to be considered even so.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
As good as Burkes is hope we don't take a 4th WR with this pick.

Would rather trade back for an extra pick before that even though that is breaking the OP's rules. Yet Ive always been a rule breaker

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 11:39 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Matt Araiza SD State

Just kidding but I absolutely hope this kid ends up in Bengals stripes to go along with Evan.

No question for me it would be Roger McCreary under this scenario which could be very close to what is available.

Don't think there will be more than 2 QB's going in the 1st round albeit there will be a couple of surprise picks to help a few of the players listed slip. Yet still think McCreary would have to be considered even so.

I don't think it is unrealistic that the Bengals use a 5th rounder (given it is almost a 6th rounder) on him, given his talent, but I have one reservation:

Since he also did a lot of FGs, he has very little experience as a holder.  That matters. 

And we are on a similar page with McCreary.  I would love Pierce, but I don't think the Bengals would take him there.  
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 10:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think you did a great job but most have at least 6 receivers and McShay 7. So in that case add 2 receivers who would you pull?

Having 6 receivers off the board is not the scenario proposed in the OP.
But if I were to add two receivers, I'd probably pop off either one IOL and one DT, or two IOL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The intent of this hypothetical scenario is meant to be almost a worst-case situation.
Most of the guys we and many experts have predicted for the Bengals are gone in this scenario.
You're right, there may end up being another QB or two taken. There might be some other players taken, but that's not the point.

You didn't really answer the question of the OP though, which is who would you take if those 30 aren't available.

Going on you the OP and your 30 players you guess will be off the board, Bengals take....The Best Remaining DEFENSIVE PLAYER on their board still not drafted.  So I can't give you a name, but I can promise you it is DEFENSE.  People can take Center and Tight End and such off the board, because The Bengals on Bengals.com are already making it very clear that they can use D Line, LB or DB at Pick 31.  

So Pick 31 will be a Defensive Player.  It will NOT be Offense.  I'm not sure who you have off out board.  I say D Line Wyatt, but I think you have him gone.  Then I would say LB Dean, but I think you have him gone.  So then I say Safety Daxton Hill if you don't have him gone.....Past that, I have D Line George Karlaftis, and CB's Kyler Gordan and Roger McCreary as options.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 12:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Having 6 receivers off the board is not the scenario proposed in the OP.

Obviously… I knew you were the OP. I commented you did a great job. But I think there will be 6 receivers at least not just 4. Was asking who you would you remove out of your list while adding 2 probably Burks and Dotson,Moore, or Pickens.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:07 PM)kevin Wrote: Going on you the OP and your 30 players you guess will be off the board, Bengals take....The Best Remaining DEFENSIVE PLAYER on their board still not drafted.  So I can't give you a name, but I can promise you it is DEFENSE.  People can take Center and Tight End and such off the board, because The Bengals on Bengals.com are already making it very clear that they can use D Line, LB or DB at Pick 31.  

So Pick 31 will be a Defensive Player.  It will NOT be Offense.  I'm not sure who you have off out board.  I say D Line Wyatt, but I think you have him gone.  Then I would say LB Dean, but I think you have him gone.  So then I say Safety Daxton Hill if you don't have him gone.....Past that, I have D Line George Karlaftis, and CB's Kyler Gordan and Roger McCreary as options.  

You should be able to give a name though, as this is about who YOU would take for the Bengals.
This isn't about who you think the Bengals will actually take.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Obviously… I knew you were the OP. I commented you did a great job. But I think there will be 6 receivers at least not just 4. Was asking who you would you remove out of your list while adding 2 probably Burks and Dotson,Moore, or Pickens.

I don't think Moore or Pickens are 1st rounders, so Burks and I guess Dotson?
I guess for two I'd pull off for them would be Linderbaum and either Green, Zion Johnson, or Davis. Hard to say.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You were the first to highlight him, so I will stop and comment here.  I could see this two ways:  The way I believe the Bengals will go, and the way I would go.  

The Bengals will likely go with McCreary because he plays in the toughest conference, and they will love his athleticism.  Gordon would be a close second, but his time was not only slow on that really fast track, but he refused to run at his pro day.  It is very odd, and I can't help but think he has a nagging injury.  I know he tested outstanding on every other measure, but still.  Between the two CBs I would take McCreary slightly over Gordon.

I would (and this is not a homer pick, and since we can't trade) go with Alec Pierce out of UC.  With the ascending pricing of top flight WRs, I think he could be a really good value and would provide the team with a lot of options next year when Tee becomes a FA, and I believe he would get snaps his rookie season either due to injury or simply giving guys a blow/4 WR sets.  The Bengals offense takes the greatest hit if a guy like Chase or Higgins is injured.  They need another top flight WR.  

I like Pierce better than Burks and I see great positional value in the WR.  I think there will still be some good talent in Rd 2 at safety and CB, but these mocks that are having Pierce available as a late 2nd round pick just make no sense to me.  

I'm sure I will get hammered going WR over CB here, but I see Pierce as a phenomenal talent that will exceed his college production in the NFL.  

I'd be leaning toward McCreary, Gordon, or Winfrey.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You should be able to give a name though, as this is about who YOU would take for the Bengals.
This isn't about who you think the Bengals will actually take.

Looking at you as the OP on this and your board again, you don't leave much. 

So I give you a name. The best name left is at Linebacker-Ojabo.  However I think the Bengals might go CB over LB and take McCreary or Gordan.

But in playing you worst case game, I will say Ojabo

The good thing is, the Draft will not play out like this,  more QBs and WR's will go than your list shows, and Bengals will get a much better D Player than Ojabo.

But per this list, Ojabo

Per my list, I'm hoping D Lineman Wyatt 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:22 PM)kevin Wrote: Looking at you as the OP on this and your board again, you don't leave much. 

So I give you a name. The best name left is at Linebacker-Ojabo.  However I think the Bengals might go CB over LB and take McCreary or Gordan.

But in playing you worst case game, I will say Ojabo

The good thing is, the Draft will not play out like this,  more QBs and WR's will go than your list shows, and Bengals will get a much better D Player than Ojabo.

But per this list, Ojabo

Per my list, I'm hoping D Lineman Wyatt 

Ojabo has great potential, but he tore his Achilles at his Pro Day and likely won't be able to contribute anything this year.
You willing to take a guy who has to be shelved for a whole year when you're hoping to push for a Super Bowl again?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ojabo has great potential, but he tore his Achilles at his Pro Day and likely won't be able to contribute anything this year.
You willing to take a guy who has to be shelved for a whole year when you're hoping to push for a Super Bowl again?

No, I'm not.  So I move down to CB-KYLER GORDAN who ESPN has Bills taking at Pick 25, but you don't.  

So forget Injured Ojabo, Bengals under Coach Lewis wasted picks taking players who were Injured for rookie season up front

KYLER GORDAN- CORNERBACK....Since ESPN has him gone, but you don't.  Coach Taylor uses a lot of DB's and would find a place for one more. Coach Taylor likes 4 D Linemen, 2 Linebackers and 5 Defensive Backs on the field 80% of the time, per his own words. He says in todays passing NFL, you need the extra DB over the LB to avoid miss match in 3 and 4 WR sets.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:38 PM)kevin Wrote: No, I'm not.  So I move down to CB-KYLER GORDAN who ESPN has Bills taking at Pick 25, but you don't.  

So forget Injured Ojabo, Bengals under Coach Lewis wasted picks taking players who were Injured for rookie season up front

KYLER GORDAN- CORNERBACK....Since ESPN has him gone, but you don't.  Coach Taylor uses a lot of DB's and would find a place for one more.

I think Gordon's Combine performance hurt his stock some, which is why I didn't have him in Top 30.
The only thing I worry about is him being able to stick with faster receivers, but other than that he's a very good prospect.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 01:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Gordon's Combine performance hurt his stock some, which is why I didn't have him in Top 30.
The only thing I worry about is him being able to stick with faster receivers, but other than that he's a very good prospect.

Again, your worst case list doesn't leave much.  I give you credit for the work you put in on this.  Don't be to mad if I say I hope your list is not how the draft goes down, and much better players fall to us at 31. 

Per your list, I say CB-Gordan who ESPN has going to Bills at pick 25.  As you say, a good prospect, but we both hope Bengals get better than this at 31.   Per your list, you leave me nothing but Gordan. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote