Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical trade scenario
With the LA Rams moving up to the #1 overall pick, that makes QB almost a 100% certainty for the #1 overall pick. A pick that, until this trade, was almost definitely going to be the OT out of Ole Miss.

This will have a few impacts:

1. QBs will now be premium at the top of the round. Prior to this trade, there was a possibility of all QBs being available outside of the top 5. But now, with Wentz likely going #1, there are some teams that may panic and trade up if they want to upgrade their QB situation this year. This will push Lynch up the board and, depending on the team, maybe even Connor Cook; we've seen crazier things happen, like the 2011 run on QBs that made no sense to anybody but the teams that drafted Christian Ponder and Jake Locker.

2. Better players will fall. We already have mock drafts out predicting that Tunsil will fall to #6 overall. This will push other players down that could potentially have been drafted by the teams that now have a premium player to pick. Needs dictate what each team will draft and, if the right BPA falls to the team with certain needs, the player that was thought to be a no brainer to that team may fall further simply because more teams chose the BPA approach over the need approach.

My question is:

Due to this shuffling, if Laquon Treadwell falls to #22, do you call up Houston and see what they want for him? We know that Minnesota is in the market for a WR as well, and we are a pick after them. If you could leapfrog them for a 4th rounder, would you do it?

Or, if Josh Doctson is still available, are you okay with staying where you are and selecting Doctson instead?
Reply/Quote
1. I don't see that trade changing anything for us. All the QB desperate teams are still drafting before us, just like before the trade.

2. I would usually not be in favor of giving up a 4th round pick just to move up 2 spots. I am guessing that there won't be much difference between a WR available at 22 and one available at 24.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  I don't see that trade changing anything for us.  All the QB desperate teams are still drafting before us, just like before the trade.

2.  I would usually not be in favor of giving up a 4th round pick just to move up 2 spots.  I am guessing that there won't be much difference between a WR available at 22 and one available at 24.

1. Prior to the trade, a decent number of "experts" were projecting the Rams to actually draft a WR since they were sitting in an odd spot for taking a QB. And then they had Rams taking a QB in the second round.
But now, with jumping up to #1, it definitely means the Rams will take a QB (reportedly leaning Goff), which should (likely) reduce the number of WRs taken prior to #24.

2. I'm with you. No need to give up a 4th rounder to move up two spots, as the talent is near equal (just slightly different pros/cons). Instead, it would probably be better to trade back to 30-40 to get an extra mid-round pick and still get a receiver of comparable talent.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How about trade our #24 to the Broncos so they can get Paxton Lynch?

We get a 3rd rounder ...

I think that's a good trade.. We could pick up a WR like Will Fuller or Sterling Shepard or if someone drops.

We get can extra pick that we can use to help get more depth in the secondary.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I'm hoping one of the top offensive tackles fall to our pick. I think the Seahawks have a need on the OL. And so do the Steelers. Both lost their LT in free agency this year. Hopefully we see a run on DBs early so there is nothing there to tempt the Steelers and the OL that falls becomes their obvious target. That would prompt the Seahawks to call us up because they want to jump the Steelers and get that OT. We pick up an extra 4th.

Then we pick up the phone and call Denver. They don't want to start Sanchez. And the Kaepernick deal never went through. Paxton Lynch is still on the board. And Arizona is eyeing him hard. We move down again. More spots this time so we pick up a 3rd. Denver gets the QB they wanted and they still have 9 picks.

We pick up the extra picks we wanted and still land our #1 WR Michael Thomas at 31.
Reply/Quote
Right now the Bengals pick is going to be very valuable if the Steelers don't move up. EVERYONE thinks that they are going to take a CB, so if someone is looking to make a move up for one of them, the Bengals spot would be perfect.

I doubt Paxton Lynch is on the board when we pick. If the Goff and Wentz go 1-2, then you will see someone take Lynch in the top 15.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I wouldn't think that by moving up 2 spots is worth a 4th round pick. I think we have our guys pin pointed and if say 3/5 are there at 24 we will trade back and pick up at least a 4th. We are not hurting anywhere as far as starters go, but we do need to get younger at some areas and improve depth. I think our biggest needs are WR, DL, C, CB and S. Of those positions the Bengals can go WR/DL Or DL/WR in rounds 1/2 and still address there biggest needs. What I would love in a perfect world would be a trade down and this to happen:

1) Andrew Billings-DT
2) Artie Burns-CB
3) Pharoah Cooper-WR
4) Evan Brohm-C
4 via trade)- Kenyatta Gerritt-WR

The drafts strength this year is on Defense, we should load up in key spots, and look for depth at the Wideout spots that could play the slot this year. Next year with all our comp picks, we could move up in the later rounds also.
Reply/Quote
Problem with this scenario is Texans may be taking him themselves. We may actually have to get in front of them if we want him.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 11:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: Problem with this scenario is Texans may be taking him themselves. We may actually have to get in front of them if we want him.

Most mocks have Fuller going to the Texans. They apparently need the speed.

I think it's 50/50 whether Lynch is available. But if he is and Denver comes calling, I'm all for the trade down.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 10:08 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: With the LA Rams moving up to the #1 overall pick, that makes QB almost a 100% certainty for the #1 overall pick. A pick that, until this trade, was almost definitely going to be the OT out of Ole Miss.

This will have a few impacts:

1. QBs will now be premium at the top of the round. Prior to this trade, there was a possibility of all QBs being available outside of the top 5. But now, with Wentz likely going #1, there are some teams that may panic and trade up if they want to upgrade their QB situation this year. This will push Lynch up the board and, depending on the team, maybe even Connor Cook; we've seen crazier things happen, like the 2011 run on QBs that made no sense to anybody but the teams that drafted Christian Ponder and Jake Locker.

2. Better players will fall. We already have mock drafts out predicting that Tunsil will fall to #6 overall. This will push other players down that could potentially have been drafted by the teams that now have a premium player to pick. Needs dictate what each team will draft and, if the right BPA falls to the team with certain needs, the player that was thought to be a no brainer to that team may fall further simply because more teams chose the BPA approach over the need approach.

My question is:

Due to this shuffling, if Laquon Treadwell falls to #22, do you call up Houston and see what they want for him? We know that Minnesota is in the market for a WR as well, and we are a pick after them. If you could leapfrog them for a 4th rounder, would you do it?

Or, if Josh Doctson is still available, are you okay with staying where you are and selecting Doctson instead?

I would stay and select Doctson. What about Coleman? Is he falling in this situation?

You never know if a guy like Lawson might fall too with the Rams trade.

I would take him in a heartbeat even if some don't think he fits.

That Rams trade helped about everybody but the Rams IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 02:47 PM)milksheikh Wrote: How about trade our #24 to the Broncos so they can get Paxton Lynch?

We get a 3rd rounder ...

I think that's a good trade.. We could pick up a WR like Will Fuller or Sterling Shepard or if someone drops.

We get can extra pick that we can use to help get more depth in the secondary.

I like this mucho better.

Trade back be good.
Reply/Quote