Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’ll gladly eat some crow
I’ve been brutal on Marvin in a couple threads this week. I know being negative about his history gives the impression I’m down on the team.

I’m not. Far from it. The team looks awesome and I’m hopeful for the post season. However that hopefulness is tempered by an 0-7 record of failure.

I posting this here so when we come up big this year you can all come in here and remind me how foolish I’m being.
Reply/Quote
Can't blame people for having a negative outlook on the Bengals.

Just don't use the term "realist".
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Can't blame people for having a negative outlook on the Bengals.

Just don't use the term "realist".

Yeah, one "fan" on here tries to cover up his pessimism with that word.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 04:47 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, one "fan" on here tries to cover up his pessimism with that word.  

IMO, if you're a pessimist, just ***** own it, right?  Be it, revel in it, shine it bright.  Don't hide it under the sham cloak of being a realist.  That cloak is transparent.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yes, I am the 'realist'...the team is playing well but if we get into the playoffs and lose in the first game AGAIN, how well we played in the season means zero, zilch, nada. ML's playoff record of 0-8 is real, until he gets a 1 in the win column anything else is just noise. I see things as they are not what I am told they are. Under ML we have had many parts of many seasons where we have played well, very well. But in the end, we have failed. It is simply realistic to assume the same will continue until it does not. Saying it is different, hoping it is different or praying it is different still does not make it different.

I am NOT a pessimist, I simply will not trust any regular season performance until it actually translate into the post season. If it does, then the reality is changed.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:04 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Yes, I am the 'realist'...the team is playing well but if we get into the playoffs and lose in the first game AGAIN, how well we played in the season means zero, zilch, nada. ML's playoff record of 0-8 is real, until he gets a 1 in the win column anything else is just noise. I see things as they are not what I am told they are. Under ML we have had many parts of many seasons where we have played well, very well. But in the end, we have failed. It is simply realistic to assume the same will continue until it does not. Saying it is different, hoping it is different or praying it is different still does not make it different.

I am NOT a pessimist, I simply will not trust any regular season performance until it actually translate into the post season. If it does, then the reality is changed.

That is basically the definition of pessimist.  The optimistic can own up to it.  What prevents the pessimistic from doing the same?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:04 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Yes, I am the 'realist'...the team is playing well but if we get into the playoffs and lose in the first game AGAIN, how well we played in the season means zero, zilch, nada. ML's playoff record of 0-8 is real, until he gets a 1 in the win column anything else is just noise. I see things as they are not what I am told they are. Under ML we have had many parts of many seasons where we have played well, very well. But in the end, we have failed. It is simply realistic to assume the same will continue until it does not. Saying it is different, hoping it is different or praying it is different still does not make it different.

You are clearly a pessimist.  That is fine.  I understand your position.  But when you start talking about what is going to happen in the future you are not a "realist".

The "realists" here said we would not make the playoffs in 2011.  Now go check with "reality" to see what happened.

You can be as proud as you want of your pessimism.  You just can't call it "realism" when talking about what is going to happen in the future.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:09 PM)McC Wrote: That is basically the definition of pessimist.  The optimistic can own up to it.  What prevents the pessimistic from doing the same?

ML has never won a playoff game so it is realistic to reserve optimism until he does. Mike Brown, as supreme commander since 1991 has never got even a sniff of a SB so it is realistic to assume he will continue to work in a way that makes it difficult for his team to win one. I am not saying ML will never win a playoff game and I am not saying he will win one this year, just saying his track record speaks clearly to the likelihood of the result if he gets another opportunity. I want the team to do well, not pessimistic in the sense of saying they will fail no matter what. I simply will reserve judgement until a positive playoff result occurs.

For this year, i have difficulties believing the OL will be good enough over the long haul. Another injury would be tough
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:19 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: ML has never won a playoff game so it is realistic to reserve optimism until he does. Mike Brown, as supreme commander since 1991 has never got even a sniff of a SB so it is realistic to assume he will continue to work in a way that makes it difficult for his team to win one. I am not saying ML will never win a playoff game and I am not saying he will win one this year, just saying his track record speaks clearly to the likelihood of the result if he gets another opportunity. I want the team to do well, not pessimistic in the sense of saying they will fail no matter what. I simply will reserve judgement until a positive playoff result occurs.

For this year, i have difficulties believing the OL will be good enough over the long haul. Another injury would be tough

We all understand your position.

Just don't use the term "realist" to define it.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:04 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Yes, I am the 'realist'...the team is playing well but if we get into the playoffs and lose in the first game AGAIN, how well we played in the season means zero, zilch, nada. 

Wrong. Every single win to get to the playoffs was important. Enjoy the ride.
Reply/Quote
Why is every thread getting highjacked with this bullshit?? It's hard to come on here and participate in a thread without wading thru shit.
Reply/Quote
The playoffs to us are like the browns to the regular season. If we were ever so lucky to win a playoff game under Marvin, what you saw in Cleveland against the jets will be child’s play
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5439483]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote