Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Consider Washington Game A Bengals Loss
Living in Raleigh and having watched Finley, I was real excited when the Bengals drafted him. Down here, most people would have argued that Finley was at least as good as Jones.

Then all the bad news from training camp.

So I am happy that Finley did so well.

Based upon his college career, I think Finley could be a good starting NFL QB provided he had a good  o line- a lot like Dalton.

Dalton's issues are not really problems with Dalton, it is our way below average o line.

Hard to understand why management did not do more to address serious deficiencies with our o line and linebackers in the off season.

The Og and Fisher picks and the corresponding loss of Whit and Z have cost us big time the last two years and it is not going to be fixed with the group we have available this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:51 AM)kevin Wrote: The First String was Awful.   No Blocking and again too many penalties.  The Defense was awful and No Tackling.   The Bengals were Awful in the 1st quarter of preseason game 2.

The rest of the game is next to meaningless.

I don't blame the new coach.  The Marvin Mess will take time to fix.  I'm all into the new coach and NEW DEY.   not seize the dey, that stinks...instead of who dey, NEW DEY, as people on this site came up with.  

I'm hoping 1st string looks better in preseason game 3 first half.   If they don't, it could be a real beating in Seattle when the games count.   So far no Blocking, No Tackling, Too many O Line penalties.

This was NOT a win.  Better luck next week.  GO BENGALS.

That first string drive against Chiefs was better than 1st quarter against Redskins.  This game was a step backwards.  The First Quarter O Line was just Awful. I don't see how the new coaches can be celebrating that.

Run game, we have no run game.  The O Line doesn't block, just as last few years.  Mixon or none will gain yards with no run blocking.  No run game means defenses will tee off on our QB and passing game.  With no run blocking, this team is doomed.  They must develop some run blocking.  The 1st String had none last night.

Dude you cry more than well.. I don't have anything comparable.
Reply/Quote
Kevin I get it, I really do. The "1st" team has done little to impress up to this point and in fact has been painful to watch.

However, has the true "1st" team even been on the field yet ? Mixon has what 1/2 a dozen snaps ? Eifert has what 1 ? Boyd hasn't played much, I doubt Uzomah is our starting TE, they've been playing mix and match with the Oline, didn't Core start out at WR ? I'll be fairly shocked if he makes the 53 and on and on.

Let's see what happens next game normally the true starter preview before we run yelling the sky is falling.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:25 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Kevin I get it, I really do. The "1st" team has done little to impress up to this point and in fact has been painful to watch.

However, has the true "1st" team even been on the field yet ? Mixon has what 1/2 a dozen snaps ? Eifert has what 1 ? Boyd hasn't played much, I doubt Uzomah is our starting TE, they've been playing mix and match with the Oline, didn't Core start out at WR ? I'll be fairly shocked if he makes the 53 and on and on.

Let's see what happens next game normally the true starter preview before we run yelling the sky is falling.

Mixon and Eiffert have 1 snap each, well Mixon got two because his other snap was called back on penalty. Gio has had 2 snaps as well I believe.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:43 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Reid is the next best coach in the NFL after BB. Clapping

Idk, Payton and Carroll are both pretty good. And now McVay.

Reply/Quote
It's pre season for officials as well Regular season game Norman May have been ejected. At least 2 of our holding calls were borderline at best. what concerns me though is the continued false start penalties by Hart. If he can clean that part of his game up he can be a quality lineman
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:38 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: It's pre season for officials as well Regular season game Norman May have been ejected. At least 2 of our holding calls were borderline at best. what concerns me though is the continued false start penalties by Hart. If he can clean that part of his game up  he can be a quality lineman

Me 2 !

He had a couple borderline false starts not called last night. And in my opinion got away with several that easily could have been called last season.

He's got a fairly quick first step and that's good but he has to quit anticipating the snap or whatever he's doing.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: The penalties are still an issue. The offense was not fluid, but at the same time how could anyone find a rhythm with a penalty on every play? The younger  Hoculi is known for over calling penalties, he is trying to make a name for himself. The defense played fine, I'm not sure where this narrative that they were horrible came from. They gave up 0 points, that is the only thing that matters. Outside of one big Peterson run, their run defense was really solid and they were getting good push by what was left of the defensive line.

As to everything beyond starters not mattering, that is simply not true. Both of those teams last night were decimated by injuries last year as many teams in the NFL are. Some of those guys playing in the 2nd and beyond last night will contribute for both teams at some point this season.

Exactly my take also. 1st string looked a mess, because we are still working players through positions. I will be the 1st to say this though, we need to get line set soon or it's going to look sloppy for awhile IMO. Hochuli is a joke. There should be a memo from the head officetelling him to chill. Fans come to see a game and not him. 
Defense only gave up 148 yds in the 1st half, so yeah, they a played way better this week. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:14 AM)jj22 Wrote: Nothing was wrong with the first string except the Refs calling bad holds and not allowing them to get into a rhythm. Nearly all of those calls were phantom. Not much work was able to be accomplished when every play had a fake penalty.
This^
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:17 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We arent close to competing with KC, I expected that result. The Skins however was a team we should have beaten easily.

Why you say that? It's preseason, there is a lot of tinkering going on at just about every position, normal starters taking the games off. So I don't know say, "beating easily" is all that correct. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:54 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Why you say that? It's preseason, there is a lot of tinkering going on at just about every position, normal starters taking the games off. So I don't know say, "beating easily" is all that correct. 

The Skins won more games than we did last year anyway, so I don’t know why we should have “easily beaten” them...

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The ball was way overthrown. Didn’t even given him a chance.

You know that for a fact? Maybe it was a spot throw, back pylon or something? I couldn't say for sure either way, because I wasn't in the huddle..
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:57 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You know that for a fact? Maybe it was a spot throw, back pylon or something? I couldn't say for sure either way, because I wasn't in the huddle..

Yes, I know the ball was overthrown. I have eyes. But by all means make excuses for 14 and blame 85.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 04:18 AM)kevin Wrote: Again with the Dalton as last week.  Eifert wasn't even open and well covered. Dalton is NOT the problem.   A very awful O Line is the problem.   The Defense not much better.  No Blocking and No Tackling.   No Blocking and No Tackling.  The same problems left over from the Marvin Mess.  

Well, it's NEW DEY.   I knew the new coach had an awful team to fix.  Hopefully they get better.  That 1st string was awful last night.  No Blocking.  Mixon, Bernard, nobody will rush for any yards the way the 1st string O Line got man handled last night.   Hopefully that improves.  The new coaches have their work cut out.

The First Half next week will show if team is progressing.  Not the second half, The First Half.

Your entire point has been dismissed because...silliness. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes, I know the ball was overthrown. I have eyes. But by all means make excuses for 14 and blame 85.

I'm not making any excuses for anyone. In fact, I haven't even commented in any threads about the throw. Just stating that we don't know exactly what was called.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it wouldn't have been smart trying to throw a pin point pass in a pre season game when the Redskins already showed they were head hunting to a former pro bowler with injury history im good with that.
Reply/Quote
Had this been regular season I think Norman would have gotten ejected. He may still draw a fine and/or suspension with the current safety emphasis and that both PFs involved hitting with the helmet.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:51 AM)kevin Wrote: The First String was Awful.   No Blocking and again too many penalties.  The Defense was awful and No Tackling.   The Bengals were Awful in the 1st quarter of preseason game 2.

The rest of the game is next to meaningless.

I don't blame the new coach.  The Marvin Mess will take time to fix.  I'm all into the new coach and NEW DEY.   not seize the dey, that stinks...instead of who dey, NEW DEY, as people on this site came up with.  

I'm hoping 1st string looks better in preseason game 3 first half.   If they don't, it could be a real beating in Seattle when the games count.   So far no Blocking, No Tackling, Too many O Line penalties.

This was NOT a win.  Better luck next week.  GO BENGALS.

That first string drive against Chiefs was better than 1st quarter against Redskins.  This game was a step backwards.  The First Quarter O Line was just Awful. I don't see how the new coaches can be celebrating that.

Run game, we have no run game.  The O Line doesn't block, just as last few years.  Mixon or none will gain yards with no run blocking.  No run game means defenses will tee off on our QB and passing game.  With no run blocking, this team is doomed.  They must develop some run blocking.  The 1st String had none last night.

It was a preseason game, many negatives and many positives. On a side note, I have seen many games our team has outplayed a team in quarter 1 (dominated them and made them look bad) and our team has been dominated in quarter 1 only to have the poor performance overcome in quarters 2-4.

I think you need to relax, we saw a backup QB win a job last night, we saw a rookie LB (Pratt) dominate at times, rookie Sample played well and hart and Glenn also held up well in pass protection. Price looked much better. Dalton did not play well in limited action and others did not as well. Let's see game #3, it is the game both teams normally play starters more.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: Had this been regular season I think Norman would have gotten ejected. He may still draw a fine and/or suspension with the current safety emphasis and that both PFs involved hitting with the helmet.

Look for a hefty fine minimum. As we know from Burfict, they can also suspend players for regular season games even though he was not ejected.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The ball was way overthrown. Didn’t even given him a chance.

It was overthrown, but not way overthrown. It was just barely out of reach. I mean, in the end, it doesn't matter because it was still overthrown, but way to make it seem worse than it was.

(08-16-2019, 11:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Skins won more games than we did last year anyway, so I don’t know why we should have “easily beaten” them...

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, 1 more win. They had 1 more win than a team decimated by injuries. CLEARLY, they were the better team last year. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote