Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Don’t Understand Zac Taylor’s Thought Process
(02-05-2024, 12:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's what it seems to all of us, but the efficiency stats show little to no difference.

It seems like our entire fanbase and the whole world en masse as well, are forgetting that Burrow couldn't operate under center for a full month AND that he was still hurt even when he did play, so that heavily skews the shotgun numbers: it's not our norm.

I'm not really sure that the shotgun #s aren't our norm. I mean we tried to go undercenter at the start of 2022 and then we seemed to be tipping our hand in the run game and went to almost exclusively to shotgun. I would venture a guess that we did intend or would have run more undercenter stuff if Burrow was healthy. But even with Browning we ran very heavy shotgun it was really just the Colts game that we did alot of undercenter. 
Reply/Quote
I for one, am sick of all the witch hunting against Frank Pollack. Yeah, you can look at stats and O-line rankings and just blame everything on him but it's just sad to see him being the only one that is getting this much heat. Zac Taylor, and Brian Callahan are the ones drawing up the plays and ultimately determining what our scheme is.

And honestly, stats aside; from what I could tell, our O-line was the best it's been since like 2015, I know that isn't saying much, but I didn't see them getting blown up the way they have in the past. Having a stationary QB playing through a calf injury for half the season and then having a backup for the other half didn't help either.

Truth is, I have no idea how good any of our coaches are, I'm not the one working with them and neither are any of you.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 09:18 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I for one, am sick of all the witch hunting against Frank Pollack. Yeah, you can look at stats and O-line rankings and just blame everything on him but it's just sad to see him being the only one that is getting this much heat. Zac Taylor, and Brian Callahan are the ones drawing up the plays and ultimately determining what our scheme is.

And honestly, stats aside; from what I could tell, our O-line was the best it's been since like 2015, I know that isn't saying much, but I didn't see them getting blown up the way they have in the past. Having a stationary QB playing through a calf injury for half the season and then having a backup for the other half didn't help either.

Truth is, I have no idea how good any of our coaches are, I'm not the one working with them and neither are any of you.

part of the blame is front office. Zac wants a zone blocking scheme,  so the front office gets him....slow unathletic value pick ups who arent good at zone blocking

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 09:18 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: ...Truth is, I have no idea how good any of our coaches are, I'm not the one working with them and neither are any of you.

You dont need to work with them to know there are issues just as you dont need to be a mechanic to know something is wrong with your car.  You might not know the exact reason your car isnt running right but you can tell something needs to be fixed.  You dont need to be an expert mechanic to know something is wrong.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 09:50 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You dont need to work with them to know there are issues just as you dont need to be a mechanic to know something is wrong with your car.  You might not know the exact reason your car isnt running right but you can tell something needs to be fixed.  You dont need to be an expert mechanic to know something is wrong.

“That’s how I had it in my career,” Manning said. “Joe Burrow’s going to have the same system as long as Zac Taylor’s there. That’s a real plus for any young quarterback…It’s quarterback friendly, there’s answers on every play and as a quarterback, that’s what you’re looking for.”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 03:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: “That’s how I had it in my career,” Manning said. “Joe Burrow’s going to have the same system as long as Zac Taylor’s there. That’s a real plus for any young quarterback…It’s quarterback friendly, there’s answers on every play and as a quarterback, that’s what you’re looking for.”

"Although I really do feel for Burrow," Manning also chirped in, "Frank Pollack isn't doing him any favors and he should start picking out his wheelchair when he's 50 if Pollack remains OC"
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 04:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: "Although I really do feel for Burrow," Manning also chirped in, "Frank Pollack isn't doing him any favors and he should start picking out his wheelchair when he's 50 if Pollack remains OC"

You need to photoshop Mahommes and Allen in that profile pic and replace Pesci and the other dude..Stern
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 04:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: "Although I really do feel for Burrow," Manning also chirped in, "Frank Pollack isn't doing him any favors and he should start picking out his wheelchair when he's 50 if Pollack remains OC"

Thanks for weighing in. I was unaware Pollack was OC
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 05:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Thanks for weighing in. I was unaware Pollack was OC

My guess is that there is a missing letter there O"L"C.

Probably a paraphrase anyway and not a direct quote.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 05:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Thanks for weighing in. I was unaware Pollack was OC

Pollack has his hands in everything in Cincinnati, did you know he is responsible for the recipe for Gold Star Chili? 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 10:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Pollack has his hands in everything in Cincinnati, did you know he is responsible for the recipe for Gold Star Chili? 

Yes

Reply/Quote
It could be us running the ball out of shotgun and the front office does not think Pollock has been given a fair chance for that reason.

It could also mean that no decent O-line coach wants to come here since Zac bails on the run game so quickly and won't invest resources to improve the running game like personnel changes.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 10:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Pollack has his hands in everything in Cincinnati, did you know he is responsible for the recipe for Gold Star Chili? 

So thats why skyline has been taking over.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 09:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So thats why skyline has been taking over.

Hey just like the offensive line and run scheme its not Franks fault, its the quality of the meat!
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 05:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: I understand the importance of continuity with coaching staff, but why would he not push for a new offensive line coach/run coordinator when those have been the biggest issues from day one in his tenure and nothing has changed since?

As tired of a topic this must be for some, I really am dumbfounded with the stubbornness sticking with Pollack. If we had an OL that could protect Joe and create a good run game this offense would be absolutely unstoppable.

Yet here we are going into another season and I don’t care who we pick up this off-season in free agency and draft picks, Pollack is going to get out schemed by the opponents on both fronts and Zac is going to have to take the blame for keeping him on.  

So why are they choosing to keep him?

We're talking about the same franchise that stuck with Paul Alexander for 15 years.
This team isn't the kind that likes to have a lot of turnover because they put faith in their staff improving over time, so they might be thinking any new coach would struggle initially as well, so might as well give Pollack one more year to try to right the ship.

I agree with some others though, the scheme/playcalling doesn't seem to do the OL any favors.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote