Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Fear the 49ers Uncovered Old Merchant Marine Footage and Figured Out Lou's Playbook
Wow. EVERYTHING the 49ers did on offense worked.

There was a point where they scored on 7 out of 9 drives.

The tackling was terrible. The defensive line did nothing. There was no pass rush. Huge holes. We gave up big passes. Screens kept working over and over. The 49ers faked a play to the right and ran it to the left...repeatedly and it kept working.

And that's just the failures on defense.

Lawson injured AGAIN. Webb injured.

And, things didn't get better in the 2nd half.

I called for an upgrade at LB and the Bengals didn't do that...and they got bludgeoned on the ground.

We gave up 259 yards rushing @ 6.2 yards per carry and 313 yards passing. Utterly destroyed.
Reply/Quote
Seemed like there was zero discipline all the 49ers had to do was cutback. I will say this as bad as they were this week they were terrific last week. It was a weird performance today.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:02 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Seemed like there was zero discipline all the 49ers had to do was cutback. I will say this as bad as they were this week they were terrific last week. It was a weird performance today.

Yeah cutbacks and misdirection destroyed them. The d-line was getting gashed for huge holes too.

I don't know. And worst of all is they didn't adjust.

I think as the season goes on...you're going to see that Seattle isn't a great offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 05:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wow. EVERYTHING the 49ers did on offense worked.

The tackling was terrible. The defensive line did nothing. There was no pass rush. Huge holes. We gave up big passes. Screens kept working over and over. The 49ers faked a play to the right and ran it to the left...repeatedly and it kept working.

I called for an upgrade at LB and the Bengals didn't do that...and they got bludgeoned on the ground.

We gave up 259 yards rushing @ 6.2 yards per carry and 313 yards passing. Utterly destroyed.

They got their run game working early and Shanahan was 2 steps ahead of Lou all game long.  Reality is, unless our DL dominates, it's going to be hard to stop the run running as much nickel as we do.

Tackling also sucked.  I counted two big plays where WJIII looked like Deion Sanders in run support.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah cutbacks and misdirection destroyed them. The d-line was getting gashed for huge holes too.

I don't know. And worst of all is they didn't adjust.

I think as the season goes on...you're going to see that Seattle isn't a great offense.
They had over 400 yards today...
I saw plenty of plenty of penetration from the Dline but the LBers were know where to be seen.  Brown isn't good and Vigil is hit or miss. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: They got their run game working early and Shanahan was 2 steps ahead of Lou all game long.  Reality is, unless our DL dominates, it's going to be hard to stop the run running as much nickel as we do.

Tackling also sucked.  I counted two big plays where WJIII looked like Deion Sanders in run support.  

That's a good analysis. I think we were outcoached...plain and simple.

And bad tackling.

WJ3 does look overrated.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a good analysis. I think we were outcoached...plain and simple.

And bad tackling.

WJ3 does look overrated.

We definitely got outcoached, no doubt about, but you can't just stick with nickel when you're getting pounded in the run game.  They're going to have to let Pratt sink or swim.  It isn't like the young guys on offense like Jordan, Willis, etc. are doing much right now.  Obviously, you hope they develop with snaps.

I think WJ3 looked ok in coverage, but just didn't look like he feels he gets paid to tackle.  If you're running that much nickel, your CB's have to help in run support.  They converted a 3rd down early when they got stuffed at the PoA and the RB bounced it outside and Jackson was way too late coming in to seal the edge.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:12 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They had over 400 yards today...
I saw plenty of plenty of penetration from the Dline but the LBers were know where to be seen.  Brown isn't good and Vigil is hit or miss. 

I feel like Brown is built for the NFL of 10 years ago. Vigil definitely appears to have regressed.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: We definitely got outcoached, no doubt about, but you can't just stick with nickel when you're getting pounded in the run game.  They're going to have to let Pratt sink or swim.  It isn't like the young guys on offense like Jordan, Willis, etc. are doing much right now.  Obviously, you hope they develop with snaps.

I think WJ3 looked ok in coverage, but just didn't look like he feels he gets paid to tackle.  If you're running that much nickel, your CB's have to help in run support.  They converted a 3rd down early when they got stuffed at the PoA and the RB bounced it outside and Jackson was way too late coming in to seal the edge.

You hit the nail on the head...and I said it last week...teams will adjust to attack us now that we're on tape. And they're doing it.

Pratt did play some, but he didn't show up on the stat sheet.

Honestly, our draft picks have been questionable for the last 3-4 years. At some point, we need to start getting guys who can produce. Other teams get rookies who put up stats Year 1. We need that!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: We definitely got outcoached, no doubt about, but you can't just stick with nickel when you're getting pounded in the run game.  They're going to have to let Pratt sink or swim.  It isn't like the young guys on offense like Jordan, Willis, etc. are doing much right now.  Obviously, you hope they develop with snaps.

It reminded me of the Bears game in 2017. Maybe going back cross country and playing such a physical game wore them out?
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like Brown is built for the NFL of 10 years ago. Vigil definitely appears to have regressed.

Agreed on Brown; Vigil is hit or Miss. You know who Concerns me the most though is Bates dude isn't playing up to expectations right now.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It reminded me of the Bears game in 2017. Maybe going back cross country and playing such a physical game wore them out?

The 49ers had to travel cross country too. We just got outcoached and outplayed in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:39 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Agreed on Brown; Vigil is hit or Miss. You know who Concerns me the most though is Bates dude isn't playing up to expectations right now.

Yeah. When the coaching is bad, players regress. It's the sad truth.

And chances are we have atleast some bad coaches.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The 49ers had to travel cross country too. We just got outcoached and outplayed in the trenches.

No they were Tampa this week; they didn't really have to travel that far.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You hit the nail on the head...and I said it last week...teams will adjust to attack us now that we're on tape. And they're doing it.

Pratt did play some, but he didn't show up on the stat sheet.

Honestly, our draft picks have been questionable for the last 3-4 years. At some point, we need to start getting guys who can produce. Other teams get rookies who put up stats Year 1. We need that!

I don't think the defensive gameplan was great from jump street. The 9'ers don't have good WR's.  They should have run more 4-3 base and put 8 in the box to stop the run.  They were able to get their WR's going off the run game.  

Reality is, the offense is in trouble until AJ comes back.  The OL is decimated with injuries and is getting no push in the run game.  Mixon is misreading what little running room he does get.  Eifert looks tentative.  They aren't getting anything out of the guys behind Boyd and Ross at WR.  Dalton has missed reads and bad throws.  
Reply/Quote
As well disciplined and ready they were last week they were equally off their game today. As people have said any misdirection went for big gains and any run to the edge was easy peasy. Don’t know how you can vary that much from one week to the next. Curious to see how the D responds next week but if you are Buffalo you know what to do to us.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think the defensive gameplan was great from jump street. The 9'ers don't have good WR's.  They should have run more 4-3 base and put 8 in the box to stop the run.  They were able to get their WR's going off the run game.  

Reality is, the offense is in trouble until AJ comes back.  The OL is decimated with injuries and is getting no push in the run game.  Mixon is misreading what little running room he does get.  Eifert looks tentative.  They aren't getting anything out of the guys behind Boyd and Ross at WR.  Dalton has missed reads and bad throws.  

Agreed. Nice posts. So we know the gameplan was bad from the start, but you have to adjust. The 49ers were running. The coaches either couldn't adjust or they did and the players still couldn't stop it. PFF talked about how great Kittle was run blocking.

Ross kind of disappeared until that 66 yarder on the last play. Agree on Eifert. Uzomah is mediocre too. I mean as a backup, he's not bad...but he's not a gamechanger.

Mixon looks like the lack of blocking is in his head. He looked so frustrated.

And yes...Dalton is Dalton. IF you put him throwing it 50 times a game, he'll make mistakes and misread throws some.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 05:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wow. EVERYTHING the 49ers did on offense worked.

I just want to see how many more times a front 5/7 can get blocked together into a large pile, leaving a majority of the field wide open.

I wonder if any coaches on the D know what spacing or gap integrity is, and do they know how to coach it because this front--for years now--constantly gets bunched together in large piles.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:47 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: As well disciplined and ready they were last week they were equally off their game today. As people have said any misdirection went for big gains and any run to the edge was easy peasy. Don’t know how you can vary that much from one week to the next. Curious to see how the D responds next week but if you are Buffalo you know what to do to us.

I think we will see more Pratt next week. We need his speed desperately on this Defense.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just want to see how many more times a front 5/7 can get blocked together into a large pile, leaving a majority of the field wide open.

I wonder if any coaches on the D know what spacing or gap integrity is, and do they know how to coach it because this front--for years now--constantly gets bunched together in large piles.

Yes. They consistently fail to set the edge.
Reply/Quote