Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Give Coach Lewis Credit For 7 Play-Off Seasons.
(01-01-2019, 02:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin deserves a ton of credit for bringing this franchise out of the dark ages and turning them into a contender. That was no easy task, especially given how badly Mike had screwed things up for 12 years before he got here. 

I also give him a lot credit for the '11 to '15 run. Making the playoffs 5 straight years is very difficult and his teams were able to do that. That same run also highlighted many of Marvin's shortcomings as well. He showed he could be a good coach, but 'good' proved to be his ceiling. He just wasn't a big stage type of coach.

IMO, he should have never been brought back after the embarrassing playoff meltdown in the Steeler playoff game. Sticking around to have 3 straight losing seasons just tarnished his image even more with the fan base. 

With the exception of the bold, I think you nailed it with this post.

My disagreement to the bolded statement lies in the front office did nothing to help out. 

I think the mind set was Marvin is a great coach, and therefore can do it with lesser talent.

Marvin gets a good young team into position to make a run at the whole thing, and they don't retain the talent while adding pieces to get over the top.  Instead the talen is replaced, one by one, with unproven or lesser players.

In my opinion, Marvin would have shown a higher ceiling had he landed with a different franchise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 02:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: With the exception of the bold, I think you nailed it with this post.

My disagreement to the bolded statement lies in the front office did nothing to help out. 

I think the mind set was Marvin is a great coach, and therefore can do it with lesser talent.

Marvin gets a good young team into position to make a run at the whole thing, and they don't retain the talent while adding pieces to get over the top.  Instead the talen is replaced, one by one, with unproven or lesser players.

In my opinion, Marvin would have shown a higher ceiling had he landed with a different franchise.

I have a very long list of issues with Mike...but I'm not sure you can blame him for Marvin's teams looking totally unprepared and melting down in playoff games. I don't think you can blame him for Marvin seeming lost and bewildered in primetime and against the Steelers. Those seem like issues with the coach himself...and his problems with big game preparation, game planning, controlling his team, etc. 

There is plenty of blame to put squarely on Mike, but there's also plenty that Marvin shares for his own coaching issues. When you combine the two of them, it's pretty easy to see why they were 0-7 in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
He basically pulled this team out of the gutter.

I give him major credit for that.

However like another poster mentioned his coaching shortcomings were exposed in the playoffs.

Not making adjustments, teams playing flat in big games, were his biggest flaws and lastly his lack of player discipline had a hand in the Steelers meltdown.

There were times when it didn't matter who the coordinator was, that it always seemed to point back to Marvin's style of coaching.

Marvin had to deal with Mike Brown and the lack of FA activity, scouting, and any other things common in the NFL but yet were not implemented here.

Good luck to him and the new coach having to deal with MB.

Let's hope he won't have to, and this signals the changing of control in the front office...  and that it's not just a younger model of the same!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think how people view Marvin directly correlates to how old they are and how long they have been fans. I have been a Bengals fan since day 1. I wanted Marvin gone as much as anyone, as I think he peaked, and was heading downhill. But, I have no ill feeling towards the man and wish him well. Everyone is saying 7 trips to the playoffs, and no wins. Yeah, that's pretty bad I guess. But I remember when 2 wins in a season was a lot to hope for. Marvin made this a competitive football team, that on any given day can play and beat any other team in the league. He just didn't seem to be able to get them up for the big game. As a person, I think he is a fine human being, and probably is viewed as a father by a lot of players who came here never having had fathers. They are better men because of him, the team is a better team because of him. Thanks for that, Marvin. Enjoy whatever comes next for you....

(01-01-2019, 12:10 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Marvins downfall was his group of not ready for prime time players and inability to adjust to what other teams were doing. In all the playoff games they were competitive until the wheels came off in the second half. Championship teams have players who step up in critical moments. Sadly Marvin nor his players stepped up when the lights were brightest. Sadly that will be his legacy but he definitely earned it.

(01-01-2019, 02:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin deserves a ton of credit for bringing this franchise out of the dark ages and turning them into a contender. That was no easy task, especially given how badly Mike had screwed things up for 12 years before he got here. 

I also give him a lot credit for the '11 to '15 run.

Thank you!!!

Coach Lewis will forever be a part of us, and I for one, will always proudly be a supporter of his time here.

The comments above displays our class as Bengal fans. In the words of Coach Wyche - we are not Cleveland!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 04:00 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Thank you!!!

Coach Lewis will forever be a part of us, and I for one, will always proudly be a supporter of his time here.

The comments above displays our class as Bengal fans. In the words of Coach Wyche - we are not Cleveland!!!

I was very excited when Marvin was hired and I honestly wish things had played out differently during his time.

I enjoyed watching them make the playoffs 7 times...but damn, every one was more gut wrenching and disappointing than the one before. When it comes to his career as the Bengals HC, it's really a mixed bag of emotions.

Over the years I went from being a Marvin supporter to much more of a detractor, but that doesn't mean I forgot about the good that he's done or what this franchise looked like before he got hired. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I was very excited when Marvin was hired and I honestly wish things had played out differently during his time.

I enjoyed watching them make the playoffs 7 times...but damn, every one was more gut wrenching and disappointing than the one before. When it comes to his career as the Bengals HC, it's really a mixed bag of emotions.

Over the years I went from being a Marvin supporter to much more of a detractor, but that doesn't mean I forgot about that good that he's done or what this franchise looked like before he got hired. 

I agree. Wish it could have been better.

There were some good years and good football played here.
Reply/Quote
When grading Marvin, you have to factor in being handcuffed by Mike. He was coaching without a GM or having to fill both roles himself. These are the main reasons that I think that another team will give Marvin another chance. It was way past time for Marvin to leave but let’s not pretend that this is your typical coaching gig.
Reply/Quote
Marvin brought us out of the gutter and had to deal with a lot to get us out.

He brought the Bengals organization out of the stone age.

And he did it with INTEGRITY.

That means a lot.

He should fell proud of the job he did.

Don't know if he reads this stuff but,

"Good job Coach. You'll be missed. Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:03 PM)tigerseye Wrote: Marvin brought us out of the gutter and had to deal with a lot to get us out.

He brought the Bengals organization out of the stone age.

And he did it with INTEGRITY.

That means a lot.

He should fell proud of the job he did.

Don't know if he reads this stuff but,

"Good job Coach. You'll be missed. Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I question his integrity, he was part of drafting questionable character players, he refused to play younger players (especially early on), his teams lacked discipline and focus and he was an arrogant prick at pressers. Yes, he did some good things but he had many faults. And if he actually had more integrity he would have walked away years ago. 

I was happy when he was hired but even happier when he was fired. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:59 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I question his integrity, he was part of drafting questionable character players, he refused to play younger players (especially early on), his teams lacked discipline and focus and he was an arrogant prick at pressers. Yes, he did some good things but he had many faults. And if he actually had more integrity he would have walked away years ago. 

I was happy when he was hired but even happier when he was fired. 

I don’t question Marvin’s integrity, at least not when compared to other coaches around the league. I just think that he was way too conservative, that lead directly to some wins but also directly to some losses. It’s probably the biggest single reason that he’s a .500 coach. He also sucked at time management and didn’t always play the best player available. He lacked with discipline but I don’t question his integrity.
Reply/Quote
Marvin dragged us out of hell and anchored us in purgatory. He does deserve credit for the former, but he's responsible for the latter as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:54 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have a sad feeling we're going to really miss Marvin for awhile. It's not in the Brown family DNA to move upward..they move sideways at best and usually downward . Perhaps things will be different, but I ain't exactly overwhelmed with the possibilities.. 

In fairness, we haven't exactly seen Mikey handle change very often, and the last time he did, he went from Dick LeBeau to Marvin Lewis. I'd say that's moving upward.

(01-01-2019, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin's overall record is slightly above average.  But when you consider the handicap of working under Mike Browns rules that is better than it appears.

For example.  If Marvin had been fired after the '10 season and a new coach came in and took a team that was considered the worst in the league to the playoffs 5 staright years fans would have loved him.

Marvin should have been gone after last season.  Even if his message as a coach was not that bad it had become stale around here.

Not if the new coach went 0-5 in the playoffs. In that scenario, I think plenty of people would've been pining for Marv, due to his hero status from 2003-2009. 

(01-02-2019, 02:45 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: When grading Marvin, you have to factor in being handcuffed by Mike. He was coaching without a GM or having to fill both roles himself. These are the main reasons that I think that another team will give Marvin another chance. It was way past time for Marvin to leave but let’s not pretend that this is your typical coaching gig.

Tobin is basically the GM from everything I've seen/read. He's in charge of scouting and recommending players to draft. I guess Marv was pretty involved during the offseason, but most coaches prefer being involved in choosing the players they will be coaching. That's a benefit, not a hindrance.

And tbh, I'm not sure Marv really did more than a typical coach in the offseason. They're all running around, at the combine, working out players, helping put together draft boards, etc. I think Bengals coaches have more autonomy and power, but that's probably a good thing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:24 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: Marvin dragged us out of hell and anchored us in purgatory. He does deserve credit for the former, but he's responsible for the latter as well.

That's a pretty damn accurate description of Marvin's career in Cincinnati. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's a pretty damn accurate description of Marvin's career in Cincinnati. :andy:

I thought so too with the exception that purgatory is stuck in the middle until you suffer for your sins and then go to heaven. Marvin on the other hand may have put us there only to send us back to hell for 16 seasons. Kinda like being too drunk to turn the channel during a jerry springer marathon. Ninja

Reply/Quote