Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Hate Texting (Read for Explantion)
I wasn't sure what to title this. To be clear, I have no problem with sending a text or two. In fact, it's great for quick and short communication. What I actually hate is people that want to have full conversations through text, where you're getting one after another, after another.

Here's a couple of examples where it's perfectly fine:

---"I'm pulling up to your house now."

---"What kind of beer do you want me to pick up?"

---"What's the name again of the band/movie/restaurant you recommended to me the other day?"

And here's a silly example of what I can't stand (all from one person, one after another, you constantly having to pick up and your phone and respond)....

---"You're going to the party?" ... "Is so and so going to the party?"... " What time do you think you'll get there?" ... "Do you have weed?"... "You should bring some weed." ... "Did you hear about Dave?" .... "Dave got so stoned he couldn't drive" .... How many people you think are going show up?" .... "I'll probably get there around 9." .... "I hope Julie is there".... "Have you met her friend?" ... "I gotta work tomorrow so I'll probably leave early..." .....and on and on and on...

What could've taken place in about a 5 minute call has now turned into me having to keep responding to this nonsense for like a half hour. It drives me nuts.

The more I complain on here about different stuff the more I realize that I sound like a grumpy old fart. But am I alone on this one? Do you guys have friends that drive you crazy with sending text after text after text?
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 01:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I wasn't sure what to title this. To be clear, I have no problem with sending a text or two.  In fact, it's great for quick and short communication.  What I actually hate is people that want to have full conversations through text, where you're getting one after another, after another.

---"What's the name again of the band/movie/restaurant you recommended to me the other day?"

And here's a silly example of what I can't stand (all from one person, one after another, you constantly having to pick up and your phone and respond)....

---"You're going to the party?" ...  "Is so and so going to the party?"... " What time do you think you'll get there?" ... "Do you have weed?"... "You should bring some weed." ... "Did you hear about Dave?" .... "Dave got so stoned he couldn't drive" .... How many people you think are going show up?" .... "I'll probably get there around 9." .... "I hope Julie is there".... "Have you met her friend?" ... "I gotta work tomorrow so I'll probably leave early..."  .....and on and on and on...

What could've taken place in about a 5 minute call has now turned into me having to keep responding to this nonsense for like a half hour.  It drives me nuts.

The more I complain on here about different stuff the more I realize that I sound like a grumpy old fart.  But am I alone on this one?  Do you guys have friends that drive you crazy with sending text after text after text?

100% agree.... If it requires back and forth  text to make sure im available then call... lol

Also on the opposite  of you only need a quick answer to a small question  just text and dont call me..

What about the Dude that calls you to ***** about his day for an hour... ? it confuses me its not that i dont care how your doing its give me the short version
Reply/Quote
I turn 36 in a couple months, so I'm definitely on the "young" side of the board. I didn't have texting until I was in college. The first iPhone came out as I was wrapping up college. So it's not tech I "grew up with" as is the typical millennial definition.

That said? I love texts. 9/10 times I'd rather a text than a call. I can have multiple conversations at once, I can send details (address, phone numbers, names) and not have them messed up because someone didn't hear. I can send a text while I'm in the bathroom, mowing the lawn, working, at church, anytime. The convenience factor is just so high. If someone calls me and I'm expecting that exact call, I won't answer. If someone sends me a text, outside of the hours I'm asleep, I'll get back within 10 minutes. Guaranteed.

I agree it's abused at times by people, but I have absolutely embraced it. And the work equivalent of instant messaging is another life-saver that keeps me off the phone constantly (which wastes time and isn't practical when I'm already ON the phone) and eliminates emails.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Text me if you want an answer, call me if you want my voicemail

WTS, I absolutely loathe people who text on their phone and drive.

EDIT: Also in my car texting is like a phone call with text to talk. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 03:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Text me if you want an answer, call me if you want my voicemail

WTS, I absolutely loathe people who text and drive.

They are the worst...  And they always hit their breaks to read there texts
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 02:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote:   If someone calls me and I'm expecting that exact call, I won't answer. 

If you are psychic then why do you even need to text?
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you are psychic then why do you even need to text?

Because they aren't Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 02:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I turn 36 in a couple months, so I'm definitely on the "young" side of the board.  I didn't have texting until I was in college.  The first iPhone came out as I was wrapping up college.  So it's not tech I "grew up with" as is the typical millennial definition.  

That said?  I love texts.  9/10 times I'd rather a text than a call.  I can have multiple conversations at once, I can send details (address, phone numbers, names) and not have them messed up because someone didn't hear.  I can send a text while I'm in the bathroom, mowing the lawn, working, at church, anytime.  The convenience factor is just so high.  If someone calls me and I'm expecting that exact call, I won't answer.  If someone sends me a text, outside of the hours I'm asleep, I'll get back within 10 minutes.  Guaranteed.  

I agree it's abused at times by people, but I have absolutely embraced it.  And the work equivalent of instant messaging is another life-saver that keeps me off the phone constantly (which wastes time and isn't practical when I'm already ON the phone) and eliminates emails.

Don't get my wrong, I text all of the time too.  I just don't like getting a bunch of texts from one person over the span of an hour or so.  I also don't like getting texted asking for any super detailed info.

Here's a real life example that happens often:  I know a little abount about guitars and guitar repair and have done some basic work for some friends from time to time.  All too often I'll get a text from one of my buddies about something that's kinda hard to answer over text and then it leads to a whole chain of questions.

What do you know about this guitar? ...  The strings are buzzing, what does that mean? ... How do I check that? .... How do I do that? .... What's that mean?  Do you think it would be worth it to replace/upgrade this?.... Where would you recommend buying this part? .... Do you think I'd be better off selling it?...What do you think it's worth?... What do you know about these?

Even better, it oftens ends with something like this:  "Did you buy that guitar?"  - "No."  or "Would you mind looking at it if I brought by?"

It's like, "Dude, just pick up the phone and call me, or better yet just wait until you see me next time in person!"  I could have answered these questions in an actual conversation in about 3 minutes.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 06:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't get my wrong, I text all of the time too.  I just don't like getting a bunch of texts from one person over the span of an hour or so.  I also don't like getting texted asking for any super detailed info.

Here's a real life example that happens often:  I know a little abount about guitars and guitar repair and have done some basic work for some friends from time to time.  All too often I'll get a text from one of my buddies about something that's kinda hard to answer over text and then it leads to a whole chain of questions.

What do you know about this guitar? ...  The strings are buzzing, what does that mean? ... How do I check that? .... How do I do that? .... What's that mean?  Do you think it would be worth it to replace/upgrade this?.... Where would you recommend buying this part? .... Do you think I'd be better off selling it?...What do you think it's worth?... What do you know about these?

Even better, it oftens ends with something like this:  "Did you buy that guitar?"  - "No."  or "Would you mind looking at it if I brought by?"

It's like, "Dude, just pick up the phone and call me, or better yet just wait until you see me next time in person!"  I could have answered these questions in an actual conversation in about 3 minutes.

I'll give you that.  When I get questions like that (especially about guitars) I'll usually reply with "I'll meet you at Guitar Center so we can talk I can show you" or "bring your guitar and meet me at a brewery and I'll take a look after you buy me a beer or two."  I'm still not having that conversation over the phone, but texting is mostly inappropriate.  Although I do like that I can get pictures at least and "see" it without having to see it. 

In that same vein, I have one colleague who insists on sending every single sentence as its own instant message.  So my phone is just blowing up constantly for 2 minutes straight instead of her just typing a paragraph and keeping it together. 

I think general messaging etiquette just isn't utilized regardless of platform. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 01:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I wasn't sure what to title this. To be clear, I have no problem with sending a text or two.  In fact, it's great for quick and short communication.  What I actually hate is people that want to have full conversations through text, where you're getting one after another, after another.

---"You're going to the party?" ...  "Is so and so going to the party?"... " What time do you think you'll get there?" ... "Do you have weed?"... "You should bring some weed." ... "Did you hear about Dave?" .... "Dave got so stoned he couldn't drive" .... How many people you think are going show up?" .... "I'll probably get there around 9." .... "I hope Julie is there".... "Have you met her friend?" ... "I gotta work tomorrow so I'll probably leave early..."  .....and on and on and on...

What could've taken place in about a 5 minute call has now turned into me having to keep responding to this nonsense for like a half hour.  It drives me nuts.

The more I complain on here about different stuff the more I realize that I sound like a grumpy old fart.  But am I alone on this one?  Do you guys have friends that drive you crazy with sending text after text after text?

My canned response to the mega texters is simply, if you want to hold a conversation, just call me..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe we should have a forum to post phone numbers so we can "talk".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't mind texts. I get them all the time from customers and it's how I keep in touch with them most of the time, but i can't stand when someone sends me some stupid link to some even dumber video they think is funny and it's about as exciting as yesterdays fart then get upset if i don't respond..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My canned response to the mega texters is simply, if you want to hold a conversation, just call me..

Exactly, I'm not gonna set and type 173 words out texting.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 02:46 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I can send details (address, phone numbers, names) and not have them messed up because someone didn't hear. 

This is the most useful function with it I experience. Someone can text me their email, then I can forward files to them more easily. Or I can text them my email.

Over 90% of my texts are for business and is stuff that could be addressed in emails. But I think some of my clientele feel that texts give their requests (and it is always a request for something) added urgency in my queue. It does not. Fortunately, I have not had to fire any clients for "blowing up" my phone with texts, but I have seen it happen to others.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I literally stay on the phone all day at work.... texting is like a Godsend for me. Now, I do get frustrated with that stuff in the last scenario you proposed. I'm like...get your thoughts together and just send one long text.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Way prefer a text to a phone call, but I despise the four of five texts in a row where it could have all been in one text.

And it seems a lot of people on this board get guitar questions.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2021, 01:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: I literally stay on the phone all day at work.... texting is like a Godsend for me. Now, I do get frustrated with that stuff in the last scenario you proposed. I'm like...get your thoughts together and just send one long text.

Agreed. Unless it’s sexting then it’s acceptable fore play.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
Well i might be slightly autistic so it could just be me but I do feel like most people my age and under hate talking on the phone and would much rather text. I’m sure it’s worse for people younger that have always had phones and Facebook to talk to people ??‍♂️
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 06:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agreed. Unless it’s sexting then it’s acceptable fore play.  Ninja

Hell, at my age Dog, just about anything is foreplay. Ninja 

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 03:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Way prefer a text to a phone call, but I despise the four of five texts in a row where it could have all been in one text.

Same

Reply/Quote