Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Hope Bengals Don't Get Stupid In Early Rounds
WE know they need blocking. THEY know they need blocking. Everybody knows Dalton will get killed every play without blocking. Without blocking we can't even run to offset pass rush because our runners get clobbered in backfield as much as Dalton. Without blocking receivers like Green are pointless because Dalton has no time as defense all over him. With no blocking Offense goes 3 and out often taking no time off clock. This puts Bengals D right back on field all game getting no help from offense and no D is good enough to be on field all game. So with no blocking Bengals not only don't score but in losing battle of field position and keeping our Defense on field too long the other teams do score. With no blocking Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games in 2018. So We know they need blocking. Bengals have said they know they need blocking.

ESPN mock draft had Bengals taking a quarterback from Louisville in round 1. I don't care how good this quarterback is, the Bengals have no business drafting a quarterback, running back, receiver, tight end in rounds 1, 2 or 3. I don't care who is on the board or who has fallen. If Bengals draft as ESPN had them picking, Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games. I think New York ESPN wants Bengals to take wrong players as they load up their mock drafts with New York, Boston area teams getting players including Baltimore and for some reason ESPN always wants Pittsburg on top of AFC North.

I am hoping players fall to Bengals but Blockers and Tacklers. Bengals are WEAK. Way too much finesse draft picks last year, not enough big guys and O Line was completely over looked until late in round 5. They even took a kicker they cut earlier in 5. NO, this year must be Blocking and Tackling. This draft should provide a top Center and also a top Guard or Tackle and also a Top pass rushing Linebacker as team says they want, and also a top Safety team needs. I see no reason why Bengals can't fill these needs with first 4 picks early, unless they get stupid as ESPN predicts. If they take finesse players early, they will not get much needed Blocking and Tackling. More finesse players early will only guarantee a losing season as Bengals stay too weak to beat the Big Boys in AFC North and NFL.

Come Saturday, I want to hear that on Thursday and Friday Bengals drafted Blockers. I can accept it if they drafted a Tackler, but there better be a Blocker taken Thursday or Friday. I would love to hear the first 2 picks are blockers. A Center and either a Guard or Tackle in best blocker that falls to them. If they add edge rushing linebacker and safety in first 4 picks, then Bengals aren't as weak and can go out and play with the Big Boys finally. Such a draft gives Bengals a chance to return to play-offs in 2018. If instead they draft quarterbacks and such early, they are doomed and might as well not even play the season because Dalton and Mixon will get career injured taking all this hits with no blocking.

I posted my mock draft weeks ago with Bengals getting 2 O Linemen off the top and then LB, Safety and still getting good D Line help and a late round under rated running back as Paul Brown would look for. As we get to around round 5 or 6, RB a good choice because there are so many college team star running backs that Paul Brown would then say grab one. We can also get a good tight end late rounds. Team can address O Line early and still address LB, DB, D Line,RB, TE and that would be a draft to stock this team back up to go for play-off wins. This is not a year for QB or Wide Receiver but they went too heavy on receiver last few years anyway. The goal is still play-off wins and Super Bowl in 2018, but to do that they need to get TOUGH IN THE TRENCHES.

Always remember Bengals drafted O Line early in Super Bowl 80's. Bush, Munoz, Rimington, Blados and these picks helped build a line that dominated in the 1980's. We don't have anything like this, but by Saturday, we could have. We already have Boling and the LT from Buffalo. We need a Center and either a guard or tackle depending who best blocker on the board early is. It was great in 80's to see running lanes and passing time, the opposite of 2017 Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Scheme can change a lot, I know people don't want to hear that because they can't see scheme changes right now they can see personnel changes. I get the feeling they will add an O lineman early (1st or 2nd) and another in the mid rounds, but I'm not sure it'll be as much or maybe even who people want. When we go into next season we will be banking on what Pollack can do more than anything in how our team will protect Dalton and open up the running game.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:04 PM)kevin Wrote: WE know they need blocking.  THEY know they need blocking.  Everybody knows Dalton will get killed every play without blocking. Without blocking we can't even run to offset pass rush because our runners get clobbered in backfield as much as Dalton. Without blocking receivers like Green are pointless because Dalton has no time as defense all over him.  With no blocking Offense goes 3 and out often taking no time off clock. This puts Bengals D right back on field all game getting no help from offense and no D is good enough to be on field all game. So with no blocking Bengals not only don't score but in losing battle of field position and keeping our Defense on field too long the other teams do score. With no blocking Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games in 2018. So We know they need blocking. Bengals have said they know they need blocking.

ESPN mock draft had Bengals taking a quarterback from Louisville in round 1.  I don't care how good this quarterback is, the Bengals have no business drafting a quarterback, running back, receiver, tight end in rounds 1, 2 or 3.  I don't care who is on the board or who has fallen.  If Bengals draft as ESPN had them picking, Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games.

I am hoping players fall to Bengals but Blockers and Tacklers. Bengals are WEAK. Way too much finesse draft picks last year, not enough big guys and O Line was completely over looked until late in round 5. They even took a kicker they cut earlier in 5.  NO, this year mist be Blocking and Tackling.  This draft should provide a top Center and also a top Guard or Tackle and also a Top pass rushing Linebacker as team says they want, and also a top Safety team needs. I see no reason why Bengals can't fill these needs with first 4 picks early, unless they get stupid as ESPN predicts.  If they take finesse players early, they will not get much needed Blocking and Tackling. More finesse players early will only guarantee a losing season as Bengals stay too weak to beat the Big Boys in AFC North and NFL.

Come Saturday, I want to hear that on Thursday and Friday Bengals drafted Blockers.  I can accept it if they drafted a Tackler, but there better be a Blocker taken Thursday or Friday. I would love to hear the first 2 picks are blockers. A Center and either a Guard or Tackle in best blocker that falls to them.  If they add edge rushing linebacker and safety in first 4 picks, then Bengals aren't as weak and can go out and play with the Big Boys finally.  Such a draft gives Bengals a chance to return to play-offs in 2018. If instead they draft quarterbacks and such early, they are doomed and might as well not even play the season because Dalton and Mixon will get career injured taking all this hits with no blocking.

In my mind, they could use the first 2 picks on O-line and then spend the rest of the Draft on other positions and the O-line would be dramatically upgraded.

Say RT/LT Mike McGlinchey in round one and one of the Top 3 Centers in round 2. Let's say Frank Ragnow.

From round 3 on they could draft other positions. (Still have the option to take an O-lineman but wouldn't have to)

Jake Fisher can compete with others on the roster for the right guard spot.

The O-line would be infused with Top talent and the Bengals would still have two 3rd round picks plus the rest of the Draft to get other positions.

Can't keep hoping the O-line gets better. They need to flat out make it get better.
Reply/Quote
We got Dallas O Line coach and Dallas got ours. Who is right ? I hope we are adding Pollack. To say that it all depends on Pollack is wrong. If we do not get top O Linemen early in this draft, we will not have enough quality blockers to field a competitive team no matter who the coach is. This is why ESPN saying Bengals take Louisville QB is insane. Kentucky fans may love this, but it makes no sense because Lasor said he brought in the back-up he wanted already. Dalton is not close to retirement. WE BETTER GET BLOCKING IN HERE EARLY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:45 PM)kevin Wrote: We got Dallas O Line coach and Dallas got ours.  Who is right ?  I hope we are adding Pollack.  To say that it all depends on Pollack is wrong.  If we do not get top O Linemen early in this draft, we will not have enough quality blockers to field a competitive team no matter who the coach is.  This is why ESPN saying Bengals take Louisville QB is insane. Kentucky fans may love this, but it makes no sense because Lasor said he brought in the back-up he wanted already. Dalton is not close to retirement.  WE BETTER GET BLOCKING IN HERE EARLY.

If Pollack is given a few Top O-line talents from this Draft then the Bengals will look like they were right.  IMO

Paul Alexander has much better players to work with in Dallas at this point, plus Ezekial Elliott. He could end up looking better because of this but I think Pollack is better & Alexander is part of the reason why our O-line talent is weak.
Reply/Quote
I agree Kevin,

And in my mind it's a slam dunk our first two picks in the draft should be O-linemen. I'd be willing to bet if you done a survey on the Bengals 5 biggest problems (coach and owner excluded) #1 and by a large margin would be offensive line. It's no secret even among the casual fans.

I get the whole BPA argument and agree completely in most situations. But let's face it, our line has been putrid the last two seasons ! We haven't had a center since Braham got hurt. This must be addressed - period. And not with some 4th round project. The core of this team can't wait on a center and this line to develop.

It' s now or never !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great post. I hope this is the most boring draft ever for the average Bengal fan. Give me lots of lineman in the first 3-4 rounds.
Reply/Quote
I just want us to get one of the top 3 Centers early so i can enjoy this Draft, we wait around
till the 3rd and i will be stressing.

And yes the Bengals would be stupid to do so. If they do not Draft one of the top 3 at 21 they
need to trade up in the 2nd for one. I think the smartest thing to do is take Pollack's top player
at the top area of need at 21. Do not get cute as others have said.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I just want us to get one of the top 3 Centers early so i can enjoy this Draft, we wait around
till the 3rd and i will be stressing.

And yes the Bengals would be stupid to do so. If they do not Draft one of the top 3 at 21 they
need to trade up in the 2nd for one. I think the smartest thing to do is take Pollack's top player
at the top area of need at 21. Do not get cute as others have said.

Agree,

If McGlinchey falls to 21, and I seriously doubt it, I'm not gonna kick the table over if they take him. That's reserved for taking a CB or WR.

But rolling the dice on waiting to 46 to take a center is very risky in my opinion. I'd bet Ragnow goes in the later first round and I wouldn't be at all shocked if another one of the top three centers go very early in the 2nd. Then we're gonna be on pins and needles waiting 8 more picks or whatever ?

We need to quit playing around with center and get a real one bad ! We need a plug and play center, not some project. Trade up in the 2nd and get one !
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 03:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

If McGlinchey falls to 21, and I seriously doubt it, I'm not gonna kick the table over if they take him. That's reserved for taking a CB or WR.

But rolling the dice on waiting to 46 to take a center is very risky in my opinion. I'd bet Ragnow goes in the later first round and I wouldn't be at all shocked if another one of the top three centers go very early in the 2nd. Then we're gonna be on pins and needles waiting 8 more picks or whatever ?

We need to quit playing around with center and get a real one bad ! We need a plug and play center, not some project. Trade up in the 2nd and get one !

I just take Ragnow at 21 man, we are in the perfect position to do so. The Pats, Panthers and Falcons are all
interested in him right after us. Why not make Belicheck say "damn, wanted that guy, nice pick by the Bengals."

Then we are looking so much better in our interior and can add a RT in the 2nd to 4th rounds with one of those
4 picks. Lots of good ones in this Draft. I think either Westerman or Redmond can get coached up by Pollack to be
atleast a servicable RG for us and they would have an All Pro Center next to them to help them out.

They looked decent with Bodine at Center late last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I just take Ragnow at 21 man, we are in the perfect position to do so. The Pats, Panthers and Falcons are all
interested in him right after us. Why not make Belicheck say "damn, wanted that guy, nice pick by the Bengals."

Then we are looking so much better in our interior and can add a RT in the 2nd to 4th rounds with one of those
4 picks. Lots of good ones in this Draft. I think either Westerman or Redmond can get coached up by Pollack to be
atleast a servicable RG for us and they would have an All Pro Center next to them to help them out.

They looked decent with Bodine at Center late last year.

1000% agree,

I'd love to see them go center at 21 ! I just have some doubt they will ?
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 05:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 1000% agree,

I'd love to see them go center at 21 ! I just have some doubt they will ?

Well we will know a lot about how much pull Lazor and Pollack have if they do go Center 21.

Been a long damn time since this has happened. Sure hope it happens on Thursday night.

I have to lean Ragnow or Wynn with the way Lap was throwing that Miller smokescreen out there.

Would be extremely happy with either and we don't know what Pollack thinks of Fisher yet.

Might be able to coach him up and who knows if McGlinchey would even beat him out if he did.
Reply/Quote