Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I Miss Marvin Jones.
Bengals logic

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 05:25 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: That is all.

No one misses him more than Andy Dalton
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 08:37 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Bengals logic

they offered marvin a very nice contract he wanted to be a #1 so we would have had to not have AJ for him to stay.

plenty of legit reasons to bash the bengals... but you failed here
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: No one misses him more than Andy Dalton

...and that's while he was here
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 05:25 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: That is all.

I liked him as well, but I don't need to have him on this team with the contract he signed for.  He isn't a number 1 and he is being paid very close to one.  The WR on this team that gets to play opposite AJ Green should be counting their blessings with the attention paid to Green....ditto when we had a healthy Eifert.  Ross, Core, and Malone could all be this player but they ride the bench because we are paying Lafell and coaches have no time to institute changes in game plans to suit the personnel....which is why they should all be fired....both from their job and literally set on fire.  
Reply/Quote
After the first few games in 2016 everyone was sold on Lafell because his amount of catches and projected stats were similar to what Marvin Jones had in Cincy.

I argued that Jones speed and explosion off the line forced defenses to play the Bengals different than with Lafell. It didn't go over well lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 06:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Meh, Josh Malone is bigger and faster than Marvin. He was also a better prospect coming out of College. All things equal JM should be able to do anything MJ can do

Maybe the value of Marvin is that he has already been here and served his three years of "developmental time" and would actually be able to be a part of the game plan. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I liked him as well, but I don't need to have him on this team with the contract he signed for.  He isn't a number 1 and he is being paid very close to one.  The WR on this team that gets to play opposite AJ Green should be counting their blessings with the attention paid to Green....ditto when we had a healthy Eifert.  Ross, Core, and Malone could all be this player but they ride the bench because we are paying Lafell and coaches have no time to institute changes in game plans to suit the personnel....which is why they should all be fired....both from their job and literally set on fire.  

Not really, anymore. There's 7 WRs making $13m/yr+, 3 making $15m/yr+.

There's some guys still on rookie contracts, there's a couple guys on 1 year prove-it deals, and a couple more who are vets making less money now.

But there's still 15 WRs making at least $10m/yr right now. (And there's not really 32 #1 WRs in the NFL, even if there technically has to be.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ross, Core, and Malone COULD all be this player, but sadly their lacks of ability or football skills prevents them from being so. Just like Binns, Whalen, Tate, Wright, Hamilton, Sanu, Briscoe, and every other of the many Bengals WRs who never lived up to the hype because they simply weren't very good.

Damn I wish we still had the old boards so we could dig up some threads in the 2012 offseason about how hyped some people were about the AJ Green/Armon Binns duo.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 08:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. Solid game aside, Jones has been a disappointment considering his contract. He's still playing like a #2 while being paid like a #1.

I was actually glad he didn't sign with us for the substantial dollar amount the Bengals were offering.  I had been clamoring to draft a vertical threat to replace Henry for some time, and Malone, Core, and Ross can all be that guy.  However, they have to get more snaps to make it work.  All this time for Lafell, who may be the ultimate pro and team player, is a waste of talent on the bench.  Lafell should be WR3 in the slot in rotation with Boyd and/or Erickson.  He is not an outside WR. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not really, anymore. There's 7 WRs making $13m/yr+, 3 making $15m/yr+.

There's some guys still on rookie contracts, there's a couple guys on 1 year prove-it deals, and a couple more who are vets making less money now.

But there's still 15 WRs making at least $10m/yr right now. (And there's not really 32 #1 WRs in the NFL, even if there technically has to be.)

Ross, Core, and Malone COULD all be this player, but sadly their lacks of ability or football skills prevents them from being so. Just like Binns, Whalen, Tate, Wright, Hamilton, Sanu, Briscoe, and every other of the many Bengals WRs who never lived up to the hype because they simply weren't very good.

Damn I wish we still had the old boards so we could dig up some threads in the 2012 offseason about how hyped some people were about the AJ Green/Armon Binns duo.

I completely disagree.  They had all offseason to work on their stupid game plan paperwork and get these guys in to the fold.  You think JuJu Smith-Schuster was a better prospect and more game ready than Ross?  Nope.  He just has better coaching.  Any other team would have these guys on the field, instead of the bench.  We like sucking ass at offense and leaving our biggest threats in the locker room. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I completely disagree.  They had all offseason to work on their stupid game plan paperwork and get these guys in to the fold.  You think JuJu Smith-Schuster was a better prospect and more game ready than Ross?  Nope.  He just has better coaching.  Any other team would have these guys on the field, instead of the bench.  We like sucking ass at offense and leaving our biggest threats in the locker room. 

Except it doesn't matter if someone is a better prospect, it doesn't matter if someone has better workout numbers, it doesn't matter if someone had better college production, and it doesn't matter if someone was drafted higher.

All that matters is production on the field at an NFL level.

The same reason why if you asked the Chiefs if they would trade Kareem Hunt for Joe Mixon, they would laugh in your face. Joe Mixon was considered a better prospect, but when it comes down to it, Mixon has played like crap and Hunt has been great.

You gotta take off those orange tinted glasses that are affecting your judgement of Bengals players' actual ability, man.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 12:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except it doesn't matter if someone is a better prospect, it doesn't matter if someone has better workout numbers, it doesn't matter if someone had better college production, and it doesn't matter if someone was drafted higher.

All that matters is production on the field at an NFL level.

The same reason why if you asked the Chiefs if they would trade Kareem Hunt for Joe Mixon, they would laugh in your face. Joe Mixon was considered a better prospect, but when it comes down to it, Mixon has played like crap and Hunt has been great.

You gotta take off those orange tinted glasses that are affecting your judgement of Bengals players' actual ability, man.

This is true, and your bias against the players (or support of the pinhead coaches) is what is affecting your judgement.  There is a shit ton more evidence of players that end up showing they were capable after either leaving here or once they got their shot here, but had to sit behind poor play.  

I loved Kareem Hunt in college, as a big MAC guy...His first carry, a fumble.  Did his coach bench him?  No?  He went on the set the NFL record for all-purpose yards in a first game.  That is coaching. Ross, sat and lived in the dog house.  At least Ross got 12 yards on his carry before fumbling, which would have made him the #1 rusher in half our games.

I have seen these same players (Dalton, Green, Gio, etc) have Pro-Bowl Caliber performances with a coach like Hue or Gruden.  But now they suck.  Is that the player?  Did they suddenly forget how to play football?  Or does everyone on the other team (I know it, and would imagine they do as well) know what plays are coming from our High School formations right down to the gap  of the rushing attack.  

We will settle this debate if they successfully bring in a coach that doesn't act busy with paperwork (makes me want to puke) and actually knows how to prioritize, teach, and execute a creative game plan. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 07:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, but if I had to decide between an $8m/yr Mehvin Jones (see what I did there?) and a $10.5m/yr Dre Kirkpatrick, I sure know which one I would have picked.

Even more so because anyone not named AJ Green at WR is basically a non-factor and Kirkpatrick is (predictably) right back to being awful after getting paid.

Maybe they wouldn't have had to waste the #9 overall on Ross if they had a solid #2 like Marvin Jones. Plus they probably wouldn't have been wasting $5m on Brandon LaFell (who finally broke into double digit AVG last week with a now even 10.0).

...Ugh, that's depressing. Brandon LaFell is making only $3m less this year than Marvin Jones averages on his contract.

Couldn't have said it any better

Also,
Everyone wants to pretend the bengals can only afford 1 wr, 1 offensive lineman, 1 linebacker, 1 d lineman ETC etc... as if it's their own money and they get to pocket the savings themselves. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 07:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, but if I had to decide between an $8m/yr Mehvin Jones (see what I did there?) and a $10.5m/yr Dre Kirkpatrick, I sure know which one I would have picked.

Even more so because anyone not named AJ Green at WR is basically a non-factor and Kirkpatrick is (predictably) right back to being awful after getting paid.

Maybe they wouldn't have had to waste the #9 overall on Ross if they had a solid #2 like Marvin Jones. Plus they probably wouldn't have been wasting $5m on Brandon LaFell (who finally broke into double digit AVG last week with a now even 10.0).

Well when you put it that way...I'd probably trade Kirkpatrick and his contract for MLJ. 

(11-24-2017, 11:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not really, anymore. There's 7 WRs making $13m/yr+, 3 making $15m/yr+.

Mehvin Jones has the 21st highest salary this year at WR. That's #1 money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

I disagree on there not being 32 #1 WR's. Sure, a very small handful of teams are missing a legit #1, but other teams have a pair of guys that could be a #1. The Raiders with Cooper/Crabtree. The Bucs with DJax/Mike Evans. Texans with Hopkins/Fuller, and even the Ravens with Maclin/Wallace (although Flacco is hurting their numbers). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 12:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is true, and your bias against the players (or support of the pinhead coaches) is what is affecting your judgement.  There is a shit ton more evidence of players that end up showing they were capable after either leaving here or once they got their shot here, but had to sit behind poor play.  

I loved Kareem Hunt in college, as a big MAC guy...His first carry, a fumble.  Did his coach bench him?  No?  He went on the set the NFL record for all-purpose yards in a first game.  That is coaching. Ross, sat and lived in the dog house.  At least Ross got 12 yards on his carry before fumbling, which would have made him the #1 rusher in half our games.

I have seen these same players (Dalton, Green, Gio, etc) have Pro-Bowl Caliber performances with a coach like Hue or Gruden.  But now they suck.  Is that the player?  Did they suddenly forget how to play football?  Or does everyone on the other team (I know it, and would imagine they do as well) know what plays are coming from our High School formations right down to the gap  of the rushing attack.  

We will settle this debate if they successfully bring in a coach that doesn't act busy with paperwork (makes me want to puke) and actually knows how to prioritize, teach, and execute a creative game plan. 

When did I ever once defend the coaching?

Keep in mind these pinhead coaches are the same ones scouting and drafting these players. If you don't trust them to coach the player, why are you automatically assuming their scouting is good?

Almost like it isn't an either/or situation like you are fixated on. They can both suck.

Good players have had crappy coaches and still been good. Bad players with bad coaches will still be bad.

- - - - - - - - 

Ross was in the doghouse because he wasn't in shape, didn't know his routes, gave up on plays, AND fumbled.

Hunt only had one of those four.

Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure MJ has been replaced but the coaches just can't get him/them on the field/involved.

Ross
Malone
Boyd
Core
Erickson

Take your pick.

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh..

It took one guy half a season to replace Bryant.

No wait scratch that. It took a couple games.

Sick

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 07:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have zero idea where you got I think Malone is better than MJ. I simply said he should be able to do the same based of physical traits 

Read you original post, most would assume you think he will be at minimum equal or better based upon your verbiage. 

Just because you might be a little faster or taller doesn't mean squat. Jones is a proven vet with excellent seasons under his belt. Malone is late round pick that hasn't proven squat. Can't compare the two.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 12:39 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Couldn't have said it any better

Also,
Everyone wants to pretend the bengals can only afford 1 wr, 1 offensive lineman, 1 linebacker, 1 d lineman ETC etc... as if it's their own money and they get to pocket the savings themselves. 

Like everyone U for instance think the bengals have unlimited cap and can afford to sign everyone to over inflated contract like its their money to spend
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Unlike many of our recent FA and contract flubs, I won't blame this one on our FO.  The guy wanted WR1 money and a WR1 spot and most teams aren't going to be able to give that stuff to a clear WR2 on the depth chart.

Yep he wanted #1 WR spot plus money and was never going to get it here as long as AJ Green is wearing stripes. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Like everyone U for instance think the bengals have unlimited cap and can afford to sign everyone to over inflated contract like its their money to spend

No clue how you got that. Nice attempt at trolling tho
Reply/Quote