Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Miss Video Stores
It was the browsing that made it fun. Never knowing what obscure movie you might run across. Seeing what movies the guy in front of you was getting. Streaming is more convenient, but without any of the adventure.

I feel the same way about book stores. My wife has a ton of books loaded on her kindle, and calls me Grandpa when I spurn the idea of getting one and insist on buying physical books. I still love browsing at the Barnes & Nobles and bringing home a paperback.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
So to the people surprised there are still video stores functioning, here is a even more amazing retro throwback, there are still 2 million people getting dial up internet service from AOL. 56KB download speeds.......2000 times less bandwidth than a standard high speed 10MB Download most people have today.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:10 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It was the browsing that made it fun.  Never knowing what obscure movie you might run across.  Seeing what movies the guy in front of you was getting.  Streaming is more convenient, but without any of the adventure.  

I feel the same way about book stores.  My wife has a ton of books loaded on her kindle, and calls me Grandpa when I spurn the idea of getting one and insist on buying physical books.  I still love browsing at the Barnes & Nobles and bringing home a paperback.

That's definitely the biggest part of the allure.....cds/tapes/records too.  I have found a great little Indie shop in the neighboring town.  Another overlooked aspect of hard copy vs. download is that you're a virus or hack away from losing your collection.  Eff that man.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Going to the video store was one of the most exciting things to do for me as a child. We had a local video store called P&G video I think that had a good selection even compared to the chains like Blockbuster and would carry some more unique things like old black and white Disney cartoons. You could rent video games and game systems there too. Also had a gumball machine that let you get a free rental if you were got one that had the store logo printed on it.
Reply/Quote