Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Need A Portable Heater! PLEASE HELP!
I've mentioned my waving deal and I'd like to keep it going at least until there's a vaccine.

The only problem is that a vaccine likely won't be ready until December, and it's already getting cold some days here in Greater Cincinnati.

Does anyone know of a good portable heater that I can buy to take out to the street with me to help keep me warm?

I've seen some for camping but are those only made to be in a tent?

I'm willing to spend up to $200, and I've seen some for as little as $50 to $100, but I just want something that will do the job, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 11:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've mentioned my waving deal and I'd like to keep it going at least until there's a vaccine.  

The only problem is that a vaccine likely won't be ready until December (some sites were saying November or October and now I'm seeing maybe not until the spring, which I think is all an attempt to hurt Trump's reelection chances), and it's already getting cold some days here in Greater Cincinnati.  

Does anyone know of a good portable heater that I can buy to take out to the street with me to help keep me warm?

I'm willing to spend up to $200, and I've seen some for as little as $50 to $100, but I just want something that will do the job, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A friend of mine has one with a fan she takes to soccer games. It works ok, I'll try to find out what kind.

The majority though work off a tank of some kind, so you have to refill the fuel every so many hours. There's not much as far as battery powered options if you were looking for something low maintenance. From my experiences hunting, the best bet is to invest in quality cold weather gear. It doesn't all come in camo and it's generally the best way to stay warm in low temps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When I used to camp in cold weather I used fat chicks to keep warm.

Just flatter them a little and they will usually work for free.  At most it shouldn't cost you more than a dozen donuts.
Reply/Quote
The socks that use batteries are not very expensive at all. Other than that just bundle up.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 02:28 AM)Benton Wrote: A friend of mine has one with a fan she takes to soccer games. It works ok, I'll try to find out what kind.

The majority though work off a tank of some kind, so you have to refill the fuel every so many hours. There's not much as far as battery powered options if you were looking for something low maintenance. From my experiences hunting, the best bet is to invest in quality cold weather gear. It doesn't all come in camo and it's generally the best way to stay warm in low temps.

Bundling up does work to some extent but just feet and hands get cold, which I could help with long socks and gloves (and even long underwear), but it would probably be pretty tough to blow kisses with gloves on  Nervous
Reply/Quote
Take a 120oz thermos of coffee with you, and pop adderall all day. I guarantee you'll be sweating bullets.

In all seriousness, a kerosine heater is your best bet. But I really don't know how portable that would be for your situation outside. I use when in my garage and it's easy enough to move around, but I have a feeling it would be a pain in the ass to lug around day in and day out.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 11:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've mentioned my waving deal and I'd like to keep it going at least until there's a vaccine.  

The only problem is that a vaccine likely won't be ready until December (some sites were saying November or October and now I'm seeing maybe not until the spring, which I think is all an attempt to hurt Trump's reelection chances), and it's already getting cold some days here in Greater Cincinnati.  

Thanks!

Technically speaking, none of them are supposed to be in a tent (think safety).

You could get a bunch of the hand/foot warmer packets that you stuff into gloves and socks.

A possible approach is one that is comes from trying to sleep when camping in cold weather.  Hot water is put into Nalgene bottles and placed in the bottom of the sleeping bag to add supplemental heat during the night.  You could just sit inside the sleeping bag with the hot water bottles inside of it.  Get a couple of YETI type thermoses, and fill them with boiling water before you go out.  Then when the water in the Nalgene bottle has cooled, you will have a reserve supply of hot water.
Reply/Quote
Go Propane. Much lighter than kerosene

[Image: 41veOFgULKL._AC_.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 03:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Go Propane. Much lighter than kerosene

That looks perfect because it looks like it can be tilted up or down, which was a concern that I had when thinking about finding a heater because sometimes my lower body is cold and sometimes my upper body is cold!

THANKS!
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 03:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That looks perfect because it looks like it can be tilted up or down, which was a concern that I had when thinking about finding a heater because sometimes my lower body is cold and sometimes my upper body is cold!

THANKS!

If you want a portable propane heater then you probably want something like this, Mr. Heater:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU

It is made to be hooked up to 1lb propane tanks and considered some of the best in portable and emergency heating. It only weighs 9 pounds. You can get several hours of heating set on low with a 1lb tank.  They state 3 hours at max BTU. Not sure how many hours you spend a day out there. 

Here is a much smaller version and might be a better option made by the same company.  It also uses 1lb propane tanks:
https://www.mrheater.com/little-buddy-heater.html

Amazon link for the same product:
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH4B-Massachusetts-Canada-Portable/dp/B005EEZDW2

You are not going to get a decent heat source that doesn't use gas or electricity.  So you will either have to use a product like above and have 1lb propane tanks or bundle up in cold weather gear.

You said you were willing to spend up to $200.  For the cost of the heaters listed above you can easily buy it and several 1lb propane tanks.  For example the Walmart website is showing a 4 pack of 1lb propane tanks for $14.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Those work great, but you have to be careful with keeping things away from them.  My girlfriend had a leather jacket melt because she stayed 3or 4 feet in front of it for too long.  Melt might not be the right word, but it was trash as a result.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 04:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If you want a portable propane heater then you probably want something like this, Mr. Heater:

It is made to be hooked up to 1lb propane tanks and considered some of the best in portable and emergency heating. It only weighs 9 pounds. You can get several hours of heating set on low with a 1lb tank.  They state 3 hours at max BTU.  Not sure how many hours you spend a day out there. 

Here is a much smaller version and might be a better option made by the same company.  It also uses 1lb propane tanks:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH4B-Massachusetts-Canada-Portable/dp/B005EEZDW2

You are not going to get a decent heat source that doesn't use gas or electricity.  So you will either have to use a product like above and have 1lb propane tanks or bundle up in cold weather gear.

You said you were willing to spend up to $200.  For the cost of the heaters listed above you can easily buy it and several 1lb propane tanks.  For example the Walmart website  is showing a 4 pack of 1lb propane tanks for $14.  

Or both.  A propane torpedo heater would probably be ideal for the job; but they need a big propane tank to supply the heat, and 120v to run the fan.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 07:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Or both.  A propane torpedo heater would probably be ideal for the job; but they need a big propane tank to supply the heat, and 120v to run the fan.

I guess maybe I should have been more clear then.  I meant a more portable heat source.  I don't really see him taking a torpedo heater, a 20lb propane tank and several hundred feet of extension cord with him that he can find a place to plug in to wave at people by the road.   :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 07:36 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I guess maybe I should have been more clear then.  I meant a more portable heat source.  I don't really see him taking a torpedo heater, a 20lb propane tank and several hundred feet of extension cord with him to wave at people by the road.   Wink

You were clear.  I was agreeing that
no propane and/or AC power makes Johnny a cold boy
Reply/Quote
Brad, if it is possible for you to wrap a blanket around your shoulders that covers your whole body and drops all the way to the ground even a very small heat source will keep you warm.  If you can contain the heat then even a candle will provide a significant amount of warmth.  

But you would not be able to wave and blow kisses and that seems to be a big part of your show.
Reply/Quote

Where can I order that?!

(10-03-2020, 04:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If you want a portable propane heater then you probably want something like this, Mr. Heater:

It is made to be hooked up to 1lb propane tanks and considered some of the best in portable and emergency heating. It only weighs 9 pounds. You can get several hours of heating set on low with a 1lb tank.  They state 3 hours at max BTU.  Not sure how many hours you spend a day out there. 

You said you were willing to spend up to $200.  For the cost of the heaters listed above you can easily buy it and several 1lb propane tanks.  For example the Walmart website  is showing a 4 pack of 1lb propane tanks for $14.  

The second two look too small and can the first one be angled up?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Where can I order that?!

The second two look too small and can the first one be angled up?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Double-Burner-30-000-BTU-Radiant-Tank-Top-Propane-Portable-Heater-TT30000M/305196223

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Double-Burner-30-000-BTU-Radiant-Tank-Top-Propane-Portable-Heater-TT30000M/305196223

I just ordered the one you posted earlier!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I just ordered the one you posted earlier!

Home it works out. Now you gotta rig the ride to carry a propane tank. 

Reply/Quote
Living in Alaska I can tell you that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. Spend some money on a ski outfit and you’ll be fine.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote