Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, afer 16 years, what does a total coaching revamp get us??
Is everyone watching the Rams? That’s one hot offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 10:46 PM)Destro Wrote: Yup, I was going to post the same. As much as it would be interesting to see, it breeds more bad than good. Would like to see the Steelers on there. Would be like watching The Wire.

Unfortunately the Steelers can't be forced to do it either.  A team that has reached the playoffs in the last two seasons are also exempt. I'm not a big fan of that rule as I think it shows some bias from the NFL. However, I would love to watch the potential Steelers melt down on Hard Knocks. Mostly it would be hilarious to watch Pig Pen, Tomlin and all the other drama queens fight with each other.

Anyway here is the list of teams that have been on Hard Knocks:

2001: Ravens
2002: Cowboys
--Gap in Production--
2007: Chiefs
2008: Cowboys
2009: Bengals
2010: Jets
2011 Not produced due to labor disputes.
2012: Dolphins
2013: Bengals
2014: Falcons
2015: Texans
2016: Rams
2017: Buccaneers
2018: Browns

Sure the Bengals won the division each year they were featured then went one and done. So maybe there is really no reason to agree to be on the show.  Of course since 2013 one condition is teams that have made the playoffs in the last two years are exempt from being forced into being on Hard Knocks.  So that might have something to do with the records of teams on the show since.  In other words, Welcome to Hard Knocks, since 2013 teams that have sucked in the last two years or more, don't have a new head coach, and that we have not featured in the last decade. That limits us 5 NFL teams this year.

Welcome to Hard Knocks 2019 probably featuring Jon Gruden with the Raiders.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Quote:The new guy probably knows he will have a longer leash than most coaches,...
Define longer leash. Marvin's leash was about as long as any leash we've ever seen. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Sanity!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:40 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I think the difference is that the core has already had some success and we are not that far removed from it.  We have a QB who is 17 games over .500. AJ. Green and Boyd. Mixon and a good secondary. Also Dunlap and Geno.  We need an upgraded offensive line and an athletic LB and I think this team is ready to win. 

The Jets were bad before Bowles got there. The Broncos and Cardinals had horrible QB situations. The Dolphins did make the playoffs a couple of years ago but they did not seem like a playoff team to me. Dalton > Tannehill in my book.

I think the biggest problem with this team is complacency and attitude. I think a younger head coach will inject some life into this team and this city.

Completely agree.  I've seen a bunch of posts stating it's time for a rebuild.  Good grief we've got good players in their prime.  What better opportunity for a new coach to come in than with a seasoned QB.  It's not like he's prepping a rookie from day 1.  On offense he's got AD, AJ, Boyd, Mixon and hopefully Eifert, Kroft and Uzo again.  Pollack in year 2 with the line and the ability to maybe get some help and the offense is in dang good shape.

Defensively a different story.  I don't expect Taylor to do much here, it's not his wheelhouse.  A good DC coordinator is paramount.  But the HC can bring a different mindset which can also help.

I see no reason why this team can't compete in the AFC North.  I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson like others here.  He will be exposed, the Chargers proved that.  Pitt is Pitt, good but getting old and probably without AB.  The Browns I think are going to be the big dog in the years to come.  So we'll see.  Just my 2 cents... 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:24 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I see no reason why this team can't compete in the AFC North.  I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson like others here.  He will be exposed, the Chargers proved that.  Pitt is Pitt, good but getting old and probably without AB.  The Browns I think are going to be the big dog in the years to come.  So we'll see.  Just my 2 cents... 

I'm with you... Lamar has been figured out, SD wrote the playbook against him. Pittsburgh lost Bell, AB, and probably a few others who are making noises about wanting out.... Cleveland will figure out a way to Brown up Mayfield.... It's Cincy's time.
Reply/Quote
This should be a 'build' not a rebuild.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A good chance to be on Hard Knocks is what I am thinking!!!!!

Would enjoy that.

Loved watching it the last time we were on.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:24 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Completely agree.  I've seen a bunch of posts stating it's time for a rebuild.  Good grief we've got good players in their prime.  What better opportunity for a new coach to come in than with a seasoned QB.  It's not like he's prepping a rookie from day 1.  On offense he's got AD, AJ, Boyd, Mixon and hopefully Eifert, Kroft and Uzo again.  Pollack in year 2 with the line and the ability to maybe get some help and the offense is in dang good shape.

Defensively a different story.  I don't expect Taylor to do much here, it's not his wheelhouse.  A good DC coordinator is paramount.  But the HC can bring a different mindset which can also help.

I see no reason why this team can't compete in the AFC North.  I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson like others here.  He will be exposed, the Chargers proved that.  Pitt is Pitt, good but getting old and probably without AB.  The Browns I think are going to be the big dog in the years to come.  So we'll see.  Just my 2 cents... 

(01-13-2019, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm with you... Lamar has been figured out, SD wrote the playbook against him. Pittsburgh lost Bell, AB, and probably a few others who are making noises about wanting out.... Cleveland will figure out a way to Brown up Mayfield.... It's Cincy's time.

Agreed.  Lamar better figure out how to beat teams with his arm, or he is toast.  I look for Shitsburght to stagger a bit, but I'm not so sure about the Brownies just yet.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A good chance to be on Hard Knocks is what I am thinking!!!!!

haven't read all the replys but I believe 1 rule for hard knocks is it cant be a new head coach
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: haven't read all the replys but I believe 1 rule for hard knocks is it cant be a new head coach

They can't be "forced" to do it, they can do it if they want....
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:24 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Completely agree.  I've seen a bunch of posts stating it's time for a rebuild.  Good grief we've got good players in their prime.  What better opportunity for a new coach to come in than with a seasoned QB.  It's not like he's prepping a rookie from day 1.  On offense he's got AD, AJ, Boyd, Mixon and hopefully Eifert, Kroft and Uzo again.  Pollack in year 2 with the line and the ability to maybe get some help and the offense is in dang good shape.

I agree with you. The AFC North is up for grabs. Pittsburgh is about to implode. Baltimore is putting their hopes into a running QB who has shown to be majorly erratic. RG III showed that once your run game gets figured out you better know how to throw it. 

The Browns are a wait and see team. They have done better than past Browns teams and they have looked decent but they still havent proved shit so. No reason to think that we are not right there.
Reply/Quote

IF we plug in 2-3 starting caliber free agents and come up with 2 really solid draft picks...we won't need to rebuild.

Offensive line and LB. We need about 4 new, quality players.

Really we're set at WR, RB, Secondary, and Defensive Line. (We could use another DT...but it's not an urgent need.) And we could be set at QB too.
Reply/Quote