Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Once Saw a Punt Without a Penalty
Seriously...there is holding or a block in the back on basically every single punt.

You'd think players would be more disciplined but they keep doing it. It's not just the Bengals...it's an epidemic in the NFL.

Why can't players learn to just not commit penalties?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Seriously...there is holding or a block in the back on basically every single punt.

You'd think players would be more disciplined but they keep doing it. It's not just the Bengals...it's an epidemic in the NFL.

Pics or it didn't happen Cool
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pics or it didn't happen.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
I have a mental image saved of it!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:38 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Pics or it didn't happen Cool

SERIOUSLY!

I would have been first if I didn't misspell "didn't" three times, lol. That really happened too.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
It’s one of several things that turn me off as a fan.
Reply/Quote
The block in the backs come when the runner changes direction causing the blockers to have to switch..... not sure how that can be helped other than not call it as close....
Reply/Quote
I put the issue on player discipline. They have to just not do the block.
Reply/Quote
Rumor is that, one time on here, someone claims to have killed a gopher with a stick. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
they probably get more "heat" for not blocking than for a block to the back penalty?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Seriously...there is holding or a block in the back on basically every single punt.

I agree, a part of it is the rules, a part is officials need to let them play and a part is on player. But, in the end, it is crazy and boring to fans.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It's a tricky one, really. Lotta guys moving fast, you're blocking a guy, the runner cuts, the guy you're blocking turns, now you're on his back.

You'd like to think that you should only get flagged if it affects the play but that is a slippery slope too.

So many moving parts moving so fast, different officials calling things differently. This is one area where they'll probably never be able to make it foolproof.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 12:02 PM)McC Wrote: It's a tricky one, really.  Lotta guys moving fast, you're blocking a guy, the runner cuts, the guy you're blocking turns, now you're on his back.

You'd like to think that you should only get flagged if it affects the play but that is a slippery slope too.

So many moving parts moving so fast, different officials calling things differently.  This is one area where they'll probably never be able to make it foolproof.

What if they made holding legal on punt returns and kick returns? Aside from a horse collar hold or whatever, it would be safer and also it would make special teams interesting again.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 12:28 PM)treee Wrote: What if they made holding legal on punt returns and kick returns? Aside from a horse collar hold or whatever, it would be safer and also it would make special teams interesting again.

That might swing it drastically the other way where guys are returning punts 40 yards every time.

I thought about only calling it if it impacts a play, but then you never know as guys reverse fields so much too.

I can't really think of a good way to solve the issue.

Maybe make the penalty less yards? Maybe make it so if the same guy does it twice he's ejected or fined? They'd never do that though.
Reply/Quote