Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I PROPOSE A RULE CHANGE
(09-19-2016, 07:54 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Quote from Marvin Lewis in today's press conference:

"The coaches don’t get all the views that the media and broadcasters get. That’s a fallacy of television."

I don't understand why, with today's technology, the coaches, the NFL and the fans can't all view the same game.

Do not understand why not ? 

And if not, why not have your own TV in the booth ?

They are pretty cheap and you could sling box it from your home even. 

It is alarming that after watching the last few Bengals vs steelers games that outcome is being choreographed like wrastlin'. 

Disturbing also is the fact the Bengals did not even mention it or try to fight fire with fire in retaliation.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
How about this rule change: allow all calls to be reviewed including penalties. Give coaches a few more challenges (say 3-5 per half) with the same stipulation that losing a challenge equals losing a timeout (so even if there's 5 challenges per half, a coach can only call a challenge if he has a timeout left). Also, a coach can challenge that a penalty SHOULD have been called. So, for example, no holding call is called on Dunlap even though my dead, blind grandmother could cleary see it, the head coach throws the flag, calls out the hold and the official goes under the hood and says, yep, that's a hold. 10 yard penalty on the Steelers.

Also, add more cameras to the field. The technology for video cameras has gotten cheaper that it shouldn't be that much to add more cameras and camera angles on the field. Heck, imbed a camera in the ball or in all the players helmets.

I don't care about the run time of the game and I don't think most people care if the game goes a little long as long as the correct calls are being made.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 12:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: How about this rule change: allow all calls to be reviewed including penalties. Give coaches a few more challenges (say 3-5 per half) with the same stipulation that losing a challenge equals losing a timeout (so even if there's 5 challenges per half, a coach can only call a challenge if he has a timeout left). Also, a coach can challenge that a penalty SHOULD have been called. So, for example, no holding call is called on Dunlap even though my dead, blind grandmother could cleary see it, the head coach throws the flag, calls out the hold and the official goes under the hood and says, yep, that's a hold. 10 yard penalty on the Steelers.

Also, add more cameras to the field. The technology for video cameras has gotten cheaper that it shouldn't be that much to add more cameras and camera angles on the field. Heck, imbed a camera in the ball or in all the players helmets.

I don't care about the run time of the game and I don't think most people care if the game goes a little long as long as the correct calls are being made.

I don't care about game length either, DVR is wonderful in that respect, but we all know that would never happen if it threatens to make a single game take 5 hours+ in real time...   I fully support that idea though!    ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well intended idea, but a false interpretation of the existing rule. TV camera angles clearly showed that Boyd's knee had been planted in the ground, prior to the ball jarring contact. The question is; Why do the NFL officials not have the same camera technology as television? I mean the NFL is the highest profiting "non-profit" organization on the planet, why not invest a couple bucks and get this shit right?

They don't care about getting anything right . It's a business so profit is the motivator, not getting calls right. As long as eyeballs are watching and people open their wallets and purses that's all that matters..the bottom line. Stop buying their product until they begin caring about the right calls , but good luck with that.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I propose the rule change instead of calling it a football call it a leather prolate spheroid. The NATIONAL LEATHER PROLATE SPHEROID LEAGUE! That would make 99.99% of viewers spend their time on google looking it up.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well intended idea, but a false interpretation of the existing rule.  TV camera angles clearly showed that Boyd's knee had been planted in the ground, prior to the ball jarring contact.  The question is;  Why do the NFL officials not have the same camera technology as television?  I mean the NFL is the highest profiting "non-profit" organization on the planet, why not invest a couple bucks and get this shit right?

from my understanding.. The views we see on TV are what the Refs are looking at...

or is that only when at the game?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 04:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: from my understanding.. The views we see on TV are what the Refs are looking at...

Yes I believe the Refs get all the officials which totally applies to the Boyd fumble and to me proves the Refs botched that call.

When Marvin said "The coaches don’t get all the views that the media and broadcasters get. That’s a fallacy of television" it was in reference to the CJ TD out of bounds call when the Bengals chose not to throw the challenge flag. In that situation the coach (or whomever staff member is looking to recommend a challenge flag be thrown) only has whatever angles/views are available in the 20-30 seconds before the next play begins. I do think its feasible that they don't have access to all angles are available in that short time frame. I often watch a game and see a new angle of previous play come out minutes later, even quarters later depending.
Reply/Quote
At this day and age, technology can be used to determine penalties, TDs, turnovers, etc. In fact, technology captures clearer, closer shots than what most in-person refs can hope to see.

Some may say this would make the game too long, but I would bet a lot of people wouldn't mind the game to go longer. I bet the players would also like a few more breaks in between plays too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well intended idea, but a false interpretation of the existing rule.  TV camera angles clearly showed that Boyd's knee had been planted in the ground, prior to the ball jarring contact.  The question is;  Why do the NFL officials not have the same camera technology as television?  I mean the NFL is the highest profiting "non-profit" organization on the planet, why not invest a couple bucks and get this shit right?

Do you have access to a video that has all of the TV angles? I wasn't able to watch the game (streamed only a bit of it) and am having trouble finding a view that conclusively determines that he was down. From the limited ones I've found online, it seems fairly close.
[Image: WiscoFan.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 07:35 PM)WiscoFan Wrote: Do you have access to a video that has all of the TV angles? I wasn't able to watch the game (streamed only a bit of it) and am having trouble finding a view that conclusively determines that he was down. From the limited ones I've found online, it seems fairly close.

When a play is under review, the announcers run the vid from all angles, as well as add their input to what is being seen on the screen.  It seemed obvious to me, and the guys in the booth, that it as a knee down on the turf.  The hit that jarred the ball loose came (I'm guessing here, as I can't count frames) about half a second after the knee was clearly in the turf.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 04:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: from my understanding.. The views we see on TV are what the Refs are looking at...

Hey, I would have thought that they were looking at the same thing as I was.  Clearly, in my opinion, the knee was established down, prior to contact from a defensive player.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When a play is under review, the announcers run the vid from all angles, as well as add their input to what is being seen on the screen.  It seemed obvious to me, and the guys in the booth, that it as a knee down on the turf.  The hit that jarred the ball loose came (I'm guessing here, as I can't count frames) about half a second after the knee was clearly in the turf.

I gotcha. I'm not saying that I thought it was a fumble. I'm just frustrated because I wasn't able to watch the end of the game and can't find those replays anywhere from the game online. 
[Image: WiscoFan.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 03:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: They don't care about getting anything right . It's a business so profit is the motivator, not getting calls right.  As long as eyeballs are watching and people open their wallets and purses that's all that matters..the bottom line. Stop buying their product until they begin caring about the right calls , but good luck with that.

Don't be so sure.....constant rule changes and loose interpretation of them to favor big money teams has killed NASCAR.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote