Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Still Can't Believe We Lost
(06-17-2016, 09:17 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Which game are you talking about?

I believe he's referring to the WC game. 
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 08:27 AM)Air Force 1 Wrote: Umm,, No I wont back off the word "Bullies" ..You see the reason I used it was because for the longest time the Bengals took it on the chin from everyone especially the Steelers and Ravens. Any cheap shot they could take, any advantage they could get, they took. (I say this more for Pitt than Balt.) If a Bengals player was face down on the field, they could've cared less and pretty much rejoiced in it. It was a mentality of just being more physical than the Bengals and they would fold, cry and lick their wounds. Those days are gone, and now even in victory they complain about the Bengals hitting, or the trash talk. They loved to dish it out as long as they never had to take it back.  Now'-a-days, the Bengals initiate the physicality. They don't back down when challenged and they are quick to "knock em in the chops" if that's the kind of game you want to play. The Bengals used to be intimidated very easily and now they are the Intimidators...That is why I used the word "Bullies"...

The definition of bully only involves forcing will upon those weaker than you. I want the Bengals to be able to stand up to teams that are their equals or betters with the same fearless determination. You don't find that in bullies.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 01:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The definition of bully only involves forcing will upon those weaker than you.  I want the Bengals to be able to stand up to teams that are their equals or betters with the same fearless determination.  You don't find that in bullies.

Well please excuse my ignorance and non political correctness..

But I stand by my words
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 01:47 PM)Air Force 1 Wrote: Well please excuse my ignorance and non political correctness..

But I stand by my words

Did you just accuse a dictionary written in 1828 of being unduly influenced by latter-day political correctness?  Pardon my spit take. The term "bully" has never had a positive connotation, to my knowledge. Then again, bullies always do seem to have a a group of followers that seem enamored and duped by their empty posturing, hmm...

Bully

BULL'Ynoun A noisy, blustering overbearing fellow, more distinguished for insolence and empty menaces, than for courage, and disposed to provoke quarrels.
BULL'Yverb transitive To insult and overbear with noise and blustering menaces.
BULL'Y, , verb intransitive To be noisy and quarrelsome.

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/bully
Reply/Quote
At first I was hesitant about repeating myself, but if we weren't allowed to repeat ourselves, there would be at least half more broadband available to use on this site.

1. Playoff games are meaningless unless it's the team that wins their last playoff game!  (I will be totally honest, I had completely forgotten the Buffalo Bills had played in 4 straight Super Bowls, something that will probably never happen again.  All I remembered about them was that they LOST 4 Super Bowls.)

2. You cannot celebrate a Bengal victory until the clock shows 0:00 in the 4th quarter, the Bengals are at least 1 point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field.

3. Until the Bengals can play the Steelers with the poise, the same poise the Ravens use when they play the Steelers, Pittsburgh will continue to own the Bengals.  (Most predictions I've seen are picking the Patriots, Panthers, or Steelers to win this year's Super Bowl)

4. As a casual fan since the Bengal birth in 1968, it's just fun to watch them every week of the season, knowing they are capable of winning each week.

5. For those of you who seem to think records, outside of SB victories, mean anything, the Bengals have a chance to become one of only 3 teams that have made the playoffs 6 years in a row. (New England and Green Bay).

6. For the last 5 years, the Ravens have owned the Steelers, the Steelers have owned the Bengals, and the Bengals have owned the Ravens.  That's the NFL in a nutshell.  Any given Sunday.
Reply/Quote
I remember really starting to dislike NFL during that game. The Steelers touchdown that I thought was obviously not a touchdown. The hit on Bernard that was an obvious spearing penalty. I was really happy when we took the lead and it looked like we had won, but I still had that sick feeling in my stomach. Then the fumble and the rest just took every bit of life out of me. I remember thinking and telling my wife, "I'm done" I didn't want to watch the Bengals, I didn't want to watch football anymore. Of course I watched the Piss stains and the Donkeys play next week and rooted for the Broncos the rest of the way. I can't even talk football with my friends that are Steeler fans anymore. They are the dirtiest team to ever exist and we get portrayed as dirty. It's BS. You can call our team naïve, gullible, moronic and hot headed after that game, but to call US the dirty team after that game just pissed me off royally.
Reply/Quote
I can believe it because this team has some brain dead players and a coach who doesn't know how to win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 08:08 PM)fullonbehavior Wrote: I remember really starting to dislike NFL during that game. The Steelers touchdown that I thought was obviously not a touchdown. The hit on Bernard that was an obvious spearing penalty. I was really happy when we took the lead and it looked like we had won, but I still had that sick feeling in my stomach. Then the fumble and the rest just took every bit of life out of me. I remember thinking and telling my wife, "I'm done" I didn't want to watch the Bengals, I didn't want to watch football anymore. Of course I watched the Piss stains and the Donkeys play next week and rooted for the Broncos the rest of the way. I can't even talk football with my friends that are Steeler fans anymore. They are the dirtiest team to ever exist and we get portrayed as dirty. It's BS. You can call our team naïve, gullible, moronic and hot headed after that game, but to call US the dirty team after that game just pissed me off royally.
I didn't watch the rest of the playoffs or the super bowl. It was the first one I missed since the 85 Bears won it, and I was grounded that week.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 07:32 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: At first I was hesitant about repeating myself, but if we weren't allowed to repeat ourselves, there would be at least half more broadband available to use on this site.

1. Playoff games are meaningless unless it's the team that wins their last playoff game!  (I will be totally honest, I had completely forgotten the Buffalo Bills had played in 4 straight Super Bowls, something that will probably never happen again.  All I remembered about them was that they LOST 4 Super Bowls.)

2. You cannot celebrate a Bengal victory until the clock shows 0:00 in the 4th quarter, the Bengals are at least 1 point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field. THIS IS VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY TRUE!!!

3. Until the Bengals can play the Steelers with the poise, the same poise the Ravens use when they play the Steelers, Pittsburgh will continue to own the Bengals.  (Most predictions I've seen are picking the Patriots, Panthers, or Steelers to win this year's Super Bowl). Sadly, I agree.

4. As a casual fan since the Bengal birth in 1968, it's just fun to watch them every week of the season, knowing they are capable of winning each week. As a militant diehard since 1976, it sucks to watch them sometimes knowing they are capable of blowing it each week in unique fashion.

5. For those of you who seem to think records, outside of SB victories, mean anything, the Bengals have a chance to become one of only 3 teams that have made the playoffs 6 years in a row. (New England and Green Bay). Impressive, but, it's time to win one frickin' playoff game!!

6. For the last 5 years, the Ravens have owned the Steelers, the Steelers have owned the Bengals, and the Bengals have owned the Ravens.  That's the NFL in a nutshell.  Any given Sunday. True. I bet most people, myself being one of them, and trade owning the Ravens for owning the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
It's funny that this game was billed as a "debacle" for the Bengals at the time yet it's been replayed as an "NFL Classic" at least four times this year.

The Bengals shoulda coulda woulda beat the NFL darling Steelers with a backup quarterback in spite of an officiating disaster if they could have just avoided mistakes and maintained their poise for the last two minutes. I hope that it finally drives that message home. Poise wins games, selfish antics lose them.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 07:32 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: At first I was hesitant about repeating myself, but if we weren't allowed to repeat ourselves, there would be at least half more broadband available to use on this site.

2. You cannot celebrate a Bengal victory until the clock shows 0:00 in the 4th quarter, the Bengals are at least 1 point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field.

3. Until the Bengals can play the Steelers with the poise, the same poise the Ravens use when they play the Steelers, Pittsburgh will continue to own the Bengals.  (Most predictions I've seen are picking the Patriots, Panthers, or Steelers to win this year's Super Bowl)

4. As a casual fan since the Bengal birth in 1968, it's just fun to watch them every week of the season, knowing they are capable of winning each week.

5. For those of you who seem to think records, outside of SB victories, mean anything, the Bengals have a chance to become one of only 3 teams that have made the playoffs 6 years in a row. (New England and Green Bay).

6. For the last 5 years, the Ravens have owned the Steelers, the Steelers have owned the Bengals, and the Bengals have owned the Ravens.  That's the NFL in a nutshell.  Any given Sunday.

1. Don't agree at all. At least Buffalo beat some of the best teams in the league to get to the SB. That's better than losing against those teams.

2. Agreed.

3. Agreed.

4. Yes, it's much better than the 90's and 2000's.

5. The Bengals also have a chance to set two all time worst records of 9 consecutive playoff losses and a QB with an 0-5 mark this year. The all time consecutive playoff losing streak record is 8 held by 3 teams, including the present Bengals. Dalton is tied for the worst playoff record in NFL history at 0-4 and has a chance to set a new record low of 0-5. Trust me, it means something for the team to win a playoff game THIS YEAR.

6. Hopefully this will change in the Bengals favor this year. We need it to.

Reply/Quote
Can we just put this behind us? good lord stop beating a dead horse
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals losing a playoff game is actually one of the most believable things of all time.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 04:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: 1. Don't agree at all. At least Buffalo beat some of the best teams in the league to get to the SB. That's better than losing against those teams.

2. Agreed.

3. Agreed.

4. Yes, it's much better than the 90's and 2000's.

5. The Bengals also have a chance to set two all time worst records of 9 consecutive playoff losses and a QB with an 0-5 mark this year. The all time consecutive playoff losing streak record is 8 held by 3 teams, including the present Bengals. Dalton is tied for the worst playoff record in NFL history at 0-4 and has a chance to set a new record low of 0-5. Trust me, it means something for the team to win a playoff game THIS YEAR.

6. Hopefully this will change in the Bengals favor this year. We need it to.

1. Most people only remember the Bills being one of only 2 teams to go 0-4 in SB games.

Winning one playoff game gets you nothing! Ask Dan Marino.

5. I prefaced in the thread that, for me, these stats, good or bad, are meaningless. I only referenced this for people like yourself and talking heads, which is why I agree with Lewis when he tells his team to ignore the Noise and play with Poise!
Reply/Quote
We will get multiple playoff wins this upcoming season. As long as most of our key players are healthy.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 04:18 PM)Roland Wrote: It's funny that this game was billed as a "debacle" for the Bengals at the time yet it's been replayed as an "NFL Classic" at least four times this year.

The Bengals shoulda coulda woulda beat the NFL darling Steelers with a backup quarterback in spite of an officiating disaster if they could have just avoided mistakes and maintained their poise for the last two minutes.  I hope that it finally drives that message home.  Poise wins games, selfish antics lose them.

It is remembered Nationally as a debacle for the Bengals. But it was a debacle of historic proportions, that will live in infamy, which is why it'll be a classic and talked about as a top 5 NFL meltdown of all time long after we are gone.  

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:09 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 1.  Most people only remember the Bills being one of only 2 teams to go 0-4 in SB games.

Winning one playoff game gets you nothing! Ask Dan Marino.

5.  I prefaced in the thread that, for me, these stats, good or bad, are meaningless. I only referenced this for people like yourself and talking heads, which is why I agree with Lewis when he tells his team to ignore the Noise and play with Poise!

Those things will mean something I assure you. And I agree with Lewis as well about how the team needs to approach it.

Reply/Quote
With marvin at the helm, if there is a will (to lose) there's a way
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 11:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This nightmare of a games ending will always be haunting to me.

But after years of Bengals allegiance it did not shock me.

But damn it was a long, wet ride home that evening.

I was wearing a rainsuit, and I was still soaked and pretty cold.  But, on the interception, when it looked like we were about to break the jinx, that cold, miserable night was all going to be worth it.  The loudmouth Steeler fans behind us left skidmarks gettuibng out of there after the pick.  In 16 seasons of that place, I don't recall a more jubilant moment.  It was 65,000 people all realizing at once:  this is it.  We're going to get a playoff win, and against the Steelers.  Jesus, what a belly drop.  When I got in the car I tore of the rainsuit and stewed all the way home. 

Five months later, I can laugh.  A little.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 06:43 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The Bengals losing a playoff game is actually one of the most believable things of all time.

Right up there with Will the sun rise in the east.. If Marvin were in charge of the sun it would undoubtedly rise in the north at least come playoff time..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote