Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense
(11-20-2018, 06:03 PM)depthchart Wrote: They are not even stopping the run very well.

Get toasted versus the pass.

Need speed now versus either the run or pass. (unless a LB has great instincts to offset being slow)

Yep, you're correct.  I thought Brown looked pretty good early on, hurt his ankle, tried to play hurt, now he's out for the season.  Burfict had those instincts to make up for it.....but he looks bad at the moment.  Maybe he's playing hurt?  Vigil was playing better, he's out.  The guys being trotted out there now are just not starter material.  They should have made some offers for coverage backers before the trade deadline.  I don't know if they did or not, but there were no rumors out there saying they did.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, you're correct.  I thought Brown looked pretty good early on, hurt his ankle, tried to play hurt, now he's out for the season.  Burfict had those instincts to make up for it.....but he looks bad at the moment.  Maybe he's playing hurt?  Vigil was playing better, he's out.  The guys being trotted out there now are just not starter material.  They should have made some offers for coverage backers before the trade deadline.  I don't know if they did or not, but there were no rumors out there saying they did.

Brown, Burfict & Vigil doesn't sound that bad. Not that bad of a Plan going in. (if healthy)

The guys playing now are what they are (Depth players) that you hope only have to fill in for a very limited time, here & there.

I think Burfict has been playing hurt & may be holding back to avoid big fines or long term suspension.

I heard the Commish sent him a warning letter after the recent hit on Antonio.

Burfict may start thinking "wallet first" and dial his style of play back to avoid suspension for as long as possible but at some point I think the Commish will nail him.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: Brown, Burfict & Vigil doesn't sound that bad. Not that bad of a Plan going in. (if healthy)

The guys playing now are what they are (Depth players) that you hope only have to fill in for a very limited time, here & there.

I think Burfict has been playing hurt & may be holding back to avoid big fines or long term suspension.

I heard the Commish sent him a warning letter after the recent hit on Antonio.

Burfict may start thinking "wallet first" and dial his style of play back to avoid suspension for as long as possible but at some point I think the Commish will nail him.

Interesting theory on 55.....you may be right.  Good ol Rog neutered our only enforcer against his little pretties.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:24 PM)3wt Wrote: I think Marvin plays Nickerson because he knows what is going on and knows where he's supposed to be.   The fact that he had the microphone in his helmet supports this.

Unfortunately he is so un-athletic he can't make the plays.    Hopefully they'll start playing Jefferson if the season is totally out of reach.

Nickerson is still not where he is supposed to be. Even the smarts are not showing from what i have been watching.

Haslett is ruining all our guys, as you say hopefully Jefferson gets a shot and is not ruined.

Would rather have Burfict as our LB coach than Haslett.
Reply/Quote
The entire coaching staff needs flushed out of Paul Brown Stadium. I’m talking about using an industrial strength extra soapy enema. Then the place needs fumigated, disinfected, and I would even call in Archbishop Schnurr to perform an exorcism.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 11:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The entire coaching staff needs flushed out of Paul Brown Stadium.  I’m talking about using an industrial strength extra soapy enema.  Then the place needs fumigated, disinfected, and I would even call in Archbishop Schnurr to perform an exorcism.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 11:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: To be fair the Bengals are currently scouting for the worst, least effective college linebackers in the game. They've instituted a new scouting department , The Let's Find The Least Able To Succeed department. Maybe they'll actually give it a better name ,The Department of Finding Cardboard Cutouts That Resemble Football Players From A Distance While Wearing Dark Glasses At Night In A Dark Room . They should promote Mike Brown from team owner to Chief Executive in charge of consistent disappointment among fans or at least move the team to an undisclosed location with no internet access and no television access just to drum up support .

Couldn't disagree more, Gramps.  The Bengals have probably drafted better than a lot of perennial playoff teams of late.  The problem is, they don't develop them when they are here and they aren't put in a good scheme to best utilize their talents once they are on the team.

They also have simply not placed a heavy emphasis on the LB position...always looking for a "serviceable starter" drafted in the third round or later.

The talent they have amassed is there.  For the life of me, though, I can't understand why you use three first round picks on CBs and then play a sissy zone.  You could do this with average talent.  Your highest-selected draft picks simply must be more of an impact on the field than tackling a guy after a 10 yard reception.  

The first point of order for the current defense should be as follows:

WJIII, follow the best WR.

CBs play man coverage and allow an extra defender in the box to stuff the rushing attack and flood zones to prevent all the (#&@#%@ shallow crossing routes that kill this team.

Raise the blitz % and do it on more unconventional downs/distance.  Run blitz more on 1st down.  Drop 8 in to coverage on third and 5.  Stop being so damn predictable to call plays against.

I won't even get started on the offense, but the defense gives the team no chance to win based on their current structure.  None.  
Reply/Quote