Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kenny Anderson Tribute and the 1981 Bengals - 2 videos
For the young folks here's a look at the 1981 Bengals and Kenny Anderson. For the older folks, like me, these are a reminder of attitude the Bengals franchise once had.

This first video was put together by Dave Lapham and Bob Trumpy and you can get a sense of the level of play Anderson had as a passer in a day when passing was much more difficult that it is today. You'll see a bazillion passes to Issac Curtis. People forget that Anderson was a great runner at the QB position and the best in his era.

This second video is about the 1981 Bengals and how they played. Some words from Forrest Gregg, Kenny Anderson and others.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Ahhh the memories, my first Bengals jersey as a youngin was Anderson. Wish I still had it.

People also forget right in the middle of Anderson's career everybody and I mean everybody wanted his head on a platter ! Announcers would talk about it in game. "wonder when they're going to pull Anderson out and replace him"

And then he went on to have some of his better seasons.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 12:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ahhh the memories, my first Bengals jersey as a youngin was Anderson. Wish I still had it.

People also forget right in the middle of Anderson's career everybody and I mean everybody wanted his head on a platter ! Announcers would talk about it in game. "wonder when they're going to pull Anderson out and replace him"

He played through injuries in those years, and yes, there were calls for Anderson's head. This is also in the videos, which is nice because they show that all was not roses.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 12:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ahhh the memories, my first Bengals jersey as a youngin was Anderson. Wish I still had it.

Daltons record through 8 seasons that "proves" it is "impossible" for him to win a playoff game... .580 win%, 4 playoff appearances  

Anderson's record through 10 seasons... .510 win%, 2 playoff appearances
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Daltons record through 8 seasons that "proves" it is "impossible" for him to win a playoff game... .580 win%, 4 playoff appearances  

Anderson's record through 10 seasons... .510 win%, 2 playoff appearances

Hum, yeah, if only it wasn't a team game.

Of course, there's nothing in this thread about Dalton at all. Was he even alive in 1981?

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 04:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, yeah, if only it wasn't a team game.

Of course, there's nothing in this thread about Dalton at all. Was he even alive in 1981?

Wow.  BengalChris making a comment about someone bringing up Dalton in a thread that was not about Dalton.

Now THAT is funny.

Can Dalton win a playoff game with the Bengals, Chris?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow.  BengalChris making a comment about someone bringing up Dalton in a thread that was not about Dalton.

Now THAT is funny.

Sad Sad

I don't see the connection. What are you referring to?

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 05:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Sad Sad

I don't see the connection. What are you referring to?

I am referring to all the times you have brought up Dalton as the problem with the Bengals in threads about things like the teams defense.  You know, the like the time I posted the "obsession" picture that got in your craw.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am referring to all the times you have brought up Dalton as the problem with the Bengals in threads about things like the teams defense.  You know, the like the time I posted the "obsession" picture that got in your craw.

While the question was not directed at me, I would like to offer a reply if I may. I feel the jury is still very much out on that topic. I think it wrong to say that he "can't" or "won't" win a playoff game because that involves absolute certainty. However, I can't fault those that use past performance and results to conclude a low level of confidence in the possibility. 

Personally, I think Dalton has many of the characteristics needed to lead a team to a playoff victory. Whether it can, or will, ever happen or not is a subject that is very much open for debate though. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am referring to all the times you have brought up Dalton as the problem with the Bengals in threads about things like the teams defense.  You know, the like the time I posted the "obsession" picture that got in your craw.

Can - eventually? is possible; this year? no; with Marv at the helm? unlikely; with a new coach? more likely; with Mike Brown still in charge? unlikely; with Mike Brown gone and a new coach? more likely; will he play long enough to see that day? 50/50; if he's with another team? more likely.

Like it or not, Andy Dalton is part of the Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis legacy. The 1981 Bengals and Kenny Anderson are not. Watch the videos and see the difference!

Now, back to the thread's subject, here's another enjoyable one (Anderson's plays versus the Steelers in 1981 34-0 [wish I could find the entire game]):

Reply/Quote
Thanks for the film BengalChris.   So awesome to watch.   Wow the 81 team was SO good!   Should have won the Super Bowl

I have to agree with Fred that Dalton is an underrated QB.   I look at the protection Anderson was getting and the weapons he was throwing to.

It was a well coached team.  The most complete team I think Cincinnati ever fielded.

Give Dalton the same running game, protection and healthy weapons and I think you would see some similar results.

Lap has pointed out before that the Bengals had as good a record against the Pittsburgh Super Bowl teams as any other team in the league.

I love the praise that Bradshaw heaps on Kenny.  He does not give that kind of praise often.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 12:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He played through injuries in those years, and yes, there were calls for Anderson's head. This is also in the videos, which is nice because they show that all was not roses.

Ashamed to say I was one of those at one point.  How I'd love to go back and watch those games in person again.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 07:11 PM)3wt Wrote: Thanks for the film BengalChris.   So awesome to watch.   Wow the 81 team was SO good!   Should have won the Super Bowl

I have to agree with Fred that Dalton is an underrated QB.   I look at the protection Anderson was getting and the weapons he was throwing to.

It was a well coached team.  The most complete team I think Cincinnati ever fielded.

Give Dalton the same running game, protection and healthy weapons and I think you would see some similar results.

Lap has pointed out before that the Bengals had as good a record against the Pittsburgh Super Bowl teams as any other team in the league.

I love the praise that Bradshaw heaps on Kenny.  He does not give that kind of praise often.

I agree, but Dalton is never going to have that, at least not while Mike Brown is making the decisions. And Anderson was a better QB, so I believe the team will have to be even better around Dalton. I just don't see it ever happening, at least not while it's the Mike and Marvin show. But who knows, maybe the ship will right, Hart will learn to block, Ross figures out routes, Core becomes a viable #4 guy, Uzomah makes us forget about Eifert and the defense resurrects itself from the ashes that it is. That's about what this team will need to compete for a playoff win.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 02:16 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree, but Dalton is never going to have that, at least not while Mike Brown is making the decisions. And Anderson was a better QB, so I believe the team will have to be even better around Dalton. I just don't see it ever happening, at least not while it's the Mike and Marvin show. But who knows, maybe the ship will right, Hart will learn to block, Ross figures out routes, Core becomes a viable #4 guy, Uzomah makes us forget about Eifert and the defense resurrects itself from the ashes that it is. That's about what this team will need to compete for a playoff win.

1980 Bengals 6-10
1987 Bengals 4-11
Reply/Quote