Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Will NOT Go through more 1990's Type BUNGLES.
I will not watch the BUNGLES at Tennessee. I can't watch. It is the Bengals 50 year anniversary and I've been there since 1968. This also mean I suffered through the 1990's BUNGLES up to some improvement when Marvin and Carson came in 2003. Then a drop off in 2008 and 2010, but 2011 brought 5 years of a team worth rooting for again. Then 2016 and now 2017 and again way too much Mike Brown and Family awful off season player moves. Look, I said I will never go through THE BUNGLES of the 1990's again, and I mean it. Sunday I'm going to try to find the Saints at Bills game or the Chargers at Jaguars game. I will still try to watch GOOD football games. THE BUNGLES are NOT good football and I will not live through 1990's BUNGLES again, I just won't.

For you kids, enjoy the game. I went through too many Mike Brown decades of BUNGLES and I just can't do it. At this point now, I could care less if Pittsburg or Cleveland beat the heck out of them. I have hated Pittsburg, but since BUNGLES are so bad, I suddenly don't. I have added Big Ben as a back-up in Fantasy Football and Steelers Defense to replace my struggling Broncos D with no offense. The BUNGLES are so BAD, I don't even hate the Steelers the rest of 2017. Hopefully in 2018 or some year they go back from being BUNGLES to BENGALS. I love watching my Bengals half of the 50 years, but I hated the BUNGLES of half of those 50 years. I like the Bengals but hate THE BUNGLES....2017 they are THE BUNGLES....I could watch the Saints Sunday, they are fun to watch. Chargers and Jags should be two gunslingers since Rivers and Bortles can really throw the ball to many targets. Bortles at age 24 or 25 has been in NFL a few years but younger than some rookie draft picks. If he plays QB until around 40, he has many years ahead. His 6-5 size, big body, able to run some and can really throw reminds me of a young Boomer Esiason or Big Ben. Big, hard to tackle, see the field at 6-5 and cannon arm to go deep and on the money. Rivers is a Joe Montana or John Elway 2 minute drill magic man. .....Either the Saints/ Bills or Chargers/ Jaguars are better games than the sorry BUNGLES clunking into Tennessee. I refuse to watch Bungles. I just had too many years of BUNGLES. Maybe some year they go back to Bengals, but it won't be this year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I went through the 90s with you and I couldn’t agree with you more. However, I take a different approach to coping with the Bungles. I go into everything with absolutely zero expectations. When the absurdly awful happens, I’m not disappointed. If something good happens, I’m pleasantly surprised.

They’re the reason why I watch football. If I skip games, I probably won’t watch at all. Also, it’s pretty fun to try and predict the ways they’ll screw stuff up. I bet you can guess correctly pretty often!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I will be here forever. This is my punishment for all my sins.

Reply/Quote
We're not quite 90's bad yet. As long as we have Green/Dunlap/Dalton/Atkins we won't sink that deep.

Now when those guys are gone...all bets are off.
Reply/Quote
I've said it a couple times in the past and backed off. But I can say without any shadow of a doubt this time:

If there's not sweeping changes made to this team both in HC and staff and major moves in fixing the O-line I will not be watching/caring/going to/supporting Bengals football next season.

I've had enough of Marvin Lewis, Paul Alexander and the psycho circus.
Reply/Quote
I gotta admit that during the "lost era" I was in grade school, and I didn't really watch much until the team started winning again in the early-mid 2000's, which was when I was in college. I've watched nearly every game that I could since then. If the team doesn't put up at least 7-8 wins next year, I'll likely lose my desire to pay as much attention to them until they start being competitive again, much like I've done with the Reds the past few years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will be here forever. This is my punishment for all my sins.

Adolph?  Is that you?  It's me Hermann.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're not quite 90's bad yet. As long as we have Green/Dunlap/Dalton/Atkins we won't sink that deep.

Now when those guys are gone...all bets are off.

To me they have are as bad and have sunk that low and deep.  Now some of you aren't in the area and don't get the games.  Some of you play Fantasy Football and have AJ Green on your team and you follow the points.  ....I watch the games, and they ARE as BAD as the 1990's.  In fact some 1990's teams were better.  Boomer coming back as an old vet and Dillon as the rookie RB.  They messed that year up starting first half of season with Blake and Ki Jana Carter but once they got smart enough to put in Boomer and Dillon, THAT team was better than the 2017 team....The 2017 team is 1990's awful because of no blocking.  

How Bad is the 2017 blocking ?   No matter which play they call, the other team blows up the blocking and stuffs the run or the pass and does a Mexican Hat Dance around our tackled players.....It doesn't matter what we call.  There is no play in the playbook that can work.  No matter what call the Bengals make, there will be no blocking and the other team will do the Ickey Shuffle around Dalton or Mixon or whoever they have tackled 5, 10, 15 yards in our backfield for a loss. ...So we punt, punt, punt.....Never any points.....This leads to our good defense on the field too long. Fatigue sets in.  Even without fatigue, other NFL teams score points.  You have to assume the other team is going to score 20 points just because they are an NFL team....Our offense can't match those 20. ....So fans hope our Defense shuts the other team out, which is insane. Plus our Defense is on the field all game due to no offense, so Fatigue sets in.  

So watching the 2017 Bengals is as hard to watch as watching the Bengals of 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2008 or 2010.  ...,In fact very much like watching the 1992 or 2002 or 2008 Bengals of NO BLOCKING that got Palmer badly injured and his replacement Fitzpatrick running for his life as soon as ball snapped every play.   ....The same stupid fan nonsense.  Whats's wrong with Carson Palmer.  Whats wrong with Dillon. Whats wrong with Klingler. Whats wrong with Harold Green. ....No Blocking and Mike Brown is whats WRONG.....Whats wrong with Dalton. Whats wrong with Mixon and our runners......NO BLOCKING and MIKE BROWN is WHATS WRONG. 

So the 2017 BUNGLES not only are as bad as the 1990's BUNGLES, but some of the 1990's BUNGLES teams would beat the snot out of the 2017 BUNGLES.   Some, of the 1990's teams of 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001 were much better than this 2017 team......2017 is a VERY BAD team. ....They will be lucky to win another game with no blocking.  They might get 4 wins, that's about it. ....I refuse to watch it after watching our complete lack of blocking against Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburg, Indianapolis, Jacksonville. I can't watch BUNGLES with no blocking, so punt, punt, interception, fumble, punt, punt, and our defense on the field all game until fatigue sets in, or the NFL quarterback being an NFL quarterback scores anything over 14 points and out no blocking offense can't score over 14 points. I can't watch Bungles anymore. This IS a BUNGLES YEAR. This IS one of THE WORST BUNGLES teams EVER. Right up there with 1992, 2002 or 2008. Just too awful to watch in 2017......Thanks to Mike Brown, Pete Brown, Paul Brown Jr, Katie and Troy Brown Blackburns, and all the Brown Family that since The Godfather died continue to take us back to BUNGLES.

I won't watch Browns on CBS either Sunday, another team with Paul Browns name but nothing like Paul Brown.....No, I'll try to find Saints game or else Chargers vs Jaguars. Anything but BUNGLES and CLOWNS on TV Sunday.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I gotta admit that during the "lost era" I was in grade school, and I didn't really watch much until the team started winning again in the early-mid 2000's, which was when I was in college. I've watched nearly every game that I could since then. If the team doesn't put up at least 7-8 wins next year, I'll likely lose my desire to pay as much attention to them until they start being competitive again, much like I've done with the Reds the past few years.

Man, I even watched the games that weren't blacked out back then. I was pretty pissed the minute Mike Clown fired Wyche. The thing was, you knew there wasn't much chance of winning, but there were some fun players to watch....Blake, Pickens, Dillon, etc, so you tuned in, hoping to see an upset.  The thing that angers me moreso this go around, is that was a two or three year window there that we could have made some noise had we addressed the one or two flaws on those teams in FA.  Instead, we sat on our thumbs and didn't go all in.  Then there's the Marv fiasco.....we fired Wyche after one bad season (really, it was a control issue), but Merv gets all the time in the world. The chickens have come home to roost now....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 10:31 AM)kevin Wrote:  To me they have are as bad and have sunk that low and deep.  Now some of you aren't in the area and don't get the games.  Some of you play Fantasy Football and have AJ Green on your team and you follow the points.  ....I watch the games, and they ARE as BAD as the 1990's.  In fact some 1990's teams were better.  Boomer coming back as an old vet and Dillon as the rookie RB.  They messed that year up starting first half of season with Blake and Ki Jana Carter but once they got smart enough to put in Boomer and Dillon, THAT team was better than the 2017 team....The 2017 team is 1990's awful because of no blocking.  

How Bad is the 2017 blocking ?   No matter which play they call, the other team blows up the blocking and stuffs the run or the pass and does a Mexican Hat Dance around our tackled players.....It doesn't matter what we call.  There is no play in the playbook that can work.  No matter what call the Bengals make, there will be no blocking and the other team will do the Ickey Shuffle around Dalton or Mixon or whoever they have tackled 5, 10, 15 yards in our backfield for a loss. ...So we punt, punt, punt.....Never any points.....This leads to our good defense on the field too long. Fatigue sets in.  Even without fatigue, other NFL teams score points.  You have to assume the other team is going to score 20 points just because they are an NFL team....Our offense can't match those 20. ....So fans hope our Defense shuts the other team out, which is insane. Plus our Defense is on the field all game due to no offense, so Fatigue sets in.  

So watching the 2017 Bengals is as hard to watch as watching the Bengals of 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2008 or 2010.  ...,In fact very much like watching the 1992 or 2002 or 2008 Bengals of NO BLOCKING that got Palmer badly injured and his replacement Fitzpatrick running for his life as soon as ball snapped every play.   ....The same stupid fan nonsense.  Whats's wrong with Carson Palmer.  Whats wrong with Dillon. Whats wrong with Klingler. Whats wrong with Harold Green. ....No Blocking and Mike Brown is whats WRONG.....Whats wrong with Dalton. Whats wrong with Mixon and our runners......NO BLOCKING and MIKE BROWN is WHATS WRONG. 

So the 2017 BUNGLES not only are as bad as the 1990's BUNGLES, but some of the 1990's BUNGLES teams would beat the snot out of the 2017 BUNGLES.   Some, of the 1990's teams of 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001 were much better than this 2017 team......2017 is a VERY BAD team. ....They will be lucky to win another game with no blocking.  They might get 4 wins, that's about it. ....I refuse to watch it after watching our complete lack of blocking against Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburg, Indianapolis, Jacksonville.   I can't watch BUNGLES with no blocking, so punt, punt, interception, fumble, punt, punt, and our defense on the field all game until fatigue sets in, or the NFL quarterback being an NFL quarterback scores anything over 14 points and out no blocking offense can't score over 14 points.  I can't watch Bungles anymore.  This IS a BUNGLES YEAR.  This IS one of THE WORST BUNGLES teams EVER.  Right up there with 1992, 2002 or 2008.  Just too awful to watch in 2017.

There were a couple 8-8 teams thrown in there, but overall, this team isn't as bad as the 90s.....yet.  Some of those teams were completely devoid of talent and featured guys like David Klingler, Akili Smith, Gus Frerrote, Neil O'Donnell on the downslide, etc under center.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 10:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: There were a couple 8-8 teams thrown in there, but overall, this team isn't as bad as the 90s.....yet.  Some of those teams were completely devoid of talent and featured guys like David Klingler, Akili Smith, Gus Frerrote, Neil O'Donnell on the downslide, etc under center.

I don't know Wyche ? I think we're teetering on the edge of 90's bad a lot closer than we want to admit.

IIRC we're 13-18-1 since the 8-0 start to 2015, and 5 of those wins are against the hapless Browns ! If we didn't have that luxury we could easily only have 10 wins over what amounts to 2 full seasons.

I'd agree we have a better core as of now. But will we next season ? The season after ?

We need  major changes ! We need to go into dry dock and completely overhaul this thing or I'm very afraid we're headed back into the abyss.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 10:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: There were a couple 8-8 teams thrown in there, but overall, this team isn't as bad as the 90s.....yet.  Some of those teams were completely devoid of talent and featured guys like David Klingler, Akili Smith, Gus Frerrote, Neil O'Donnell on the downslide, etc under center.

YES, it really IS as BAD....I give you the O Line of Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Hopkins, Fisher.....Maybe the worst O Lines in Bengals history....Certainly up there as bad as the 1992, the 2002 or the 2008 O Lines. .....An O Line so bad that none of the plays in the playbook have a chance to work.  Any play called has the defense slamming our RB or QB into the ground for a loss as the defense does an Indian Tribal Fire Dance in celebration around the Bungles laying on their rear ends on the field.  ......As soon as the ball is snapped, Ogbuehi gets knocked 10 yards back and on his rear end.  All these guys are getting blown off the line and onto their rear ends every single play.... YES IT IS AS BAD AS THE 1990's......YES IT IS AS BAD AS THE 1990's......The 2017 Bengals with no blocking will be lucky to win 4 games. ....I do not blame the sad sacks on the line, or the coaches, I blame MIKE BROWN for his off season cheapness. ......Now maybe some of you can watch all the plays get blown up due to no blocking as the other teams defense dances and laughs at the Bengals butts laying on the ground, I can't watch it. I won't watch it. I've seen too many BUNGLES teams like this for one lifetime.

With NO BLOCKING and one of the WORST O Lines in Bengals or NFL history....BUNGLES will be lucky to win 4 games in 2017....There is NO BLOCKING.....4 win season .
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 10:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know Wyche ? I think we're teetering on the edge of 90's bad a lot closer than we want to admit.

IIRC we're 13-18-1 since the 8-0 start to 2015, and 5 of those wins are against the hapless Browns ! If we didn't have that luxury we could easily only have 10 wins over what amounts to 2 full seasons.

I'd agree we have a better core as of now. But will we next season ? The season after ?

We need  major changes ! We need to go into dry dock and completely overhaul this thing or I'm very afraid we're headed back into the abyss.

Oh yeah fan, I agree....we're headed down a bad path, but this team could be competitive at least had the FO just admitted their failure along the oline and done something about it in FA.  Most of the 90s was a lot farther from competing than that.  Those defenses were terrible, as was the line.  The similarities in the WR corp are striking though....one playmaker with not much else, for the most part.

To me, the biggest failures the last two seasons were Zampese and the line.  The defense has been good enough, and we have a good QB, and some good pieces on offense.  We need another guy who can get separation on O, Kroft is emerging as a reliable TE, and Bernard is a good back, Mixon is yet to be seen as to his potential.  The 90s were an abomination across the board, save for a team here and there that were decent.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:03 AM)kevin Wrote: YES, it really IS as BAD....I give you the O Line of Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Hopkins, Fisher.....Maybe the worst O Lines in Bengals history....Certainly up there as bad as the 1992, the 2002 or the 2008 O Lines. .....An O Line so bad that none of the plays in the playbook have a chance to work.  Any play called has the defense slamming our RB or QB into the ground for a loss as the defense does an Indian Tribal Fire Dance in celebration around the Bungles laying on their rear ends on the field.  ......As soon as the ball is snapped, Ogbuehi gets knocked 10 yards back and on his rear end.  All these guys are getting blown off the line and onto their rear ends every single play.... YES IT IS AS BAD AS THE 1990's......YES IT IS AS BAD AS THE 1990's......The 2017 Bengals with no blocking will be lucky to win 4 games. ....I do not blame the sad sacks on the line, or the coaches, I blame MIKE BROWN for his off season cheapness. 

I agree with you kevin on all of that concerning the oline.  It is essentially sabotaging the entire team.  What I was getting at, is this team is easier to fix than those were....just gotta open the wallet and do it.

You're forgetting Bodine too. Wink

Reply/Quote
I've had this discussion before, but I do think that Brown wants to win. But you're all right, he is a business man first (which is obviously not a recipe for success in the NFL).
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: Oh yeah fan, I agree....we're headed down a bad path, but this team could be competitive at least had the FO just admitted their failure along the oline and done something about it in FA.  Most of the 90s was a lot farther from competing than that.  Those defenses were terrible, as was the line.  The similarities in the WR corp are striking though....one playmaker with not much else, for the most part.

To me, the biggest failures the last two seasons were Zampese and the line.  The defense has been good enough, and we have a good QB, and some good pieces on offense.  We need another guy who can get separation on O, Kroft is emerging as a reliable TE, and Bernard is a good back, Mixon is yet to be seen as to his potential.  The 90s were an abomination across the board, save for a team here and there that were decent.

Oh I agree

But look at AJ's episode ! That wasn't just from Ramsey calling him soft and face masking him. That was built up frustration from a season and a half of MB sitting on his hands to save money and ignore the O-line.

Geno, AJ, Carlos, Vontaze, Andy are gonna start pulling out and.............here we go again...........same old song again

Mike Brown has to step up into the 2010's and right now or disaster is were we're headed. We're going to see shoulder pads being thrown up into the stands - again !
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with you kevin on all of that concerning the oline.  It is essentially sabotaging the entire team.  What I was getting at, is this team is easier to fix than those were....just gotta open the wallet and do it.

You're forgetting Bodine too. Wink

You are talking years ahead....I'm going Flip Wilson and talking The Church Of What's Happening Now....Will the Bengals be FIXED in 2017.....NO, of course not.....So we are suppose to watch the BUNGLES slop through the 2017 season and get around 4 wins...watch it as we have dreams of that it ain't all that bad and we can rebuild over the upcoming years.....Well that doesn't change how stinking awful the 2017 BUNGLES are or how hard they are to watch.  They are every bit as hard to watch as the 1992, 2002 or 2008 BUNGLES. 

Also, this could have been our dynasty decade of taking 5 straight play-off seasons and going up the ladder to the Super Bowl by 2019....Instead in 2016 and 2017 we are going down the ladder, and the Window of Opportunity is CLOSING on the years of AJ Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap team. That window is slamming down hard.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I agree

But look at AJ's episode ! That wasn't just from Ramsey calling him soft and face masking him. That was built up frustration from a season and a half of MB sitting on his hands to save money and ignore the O-line.

Geno, AJ, Carlos, Vontaze, Andy are gonna start pulling out and.............here we go again...........same old song again

Mike Brown has to step up into the 2010's and right now or disaster is were we're headed. We're going to see shoulder pads being thrown up into the stands - again !

Agreed.  Dunlap and Bernard were questioning offseason moves, AJ has spoken out....twice now....Dalton is looking more and more frustrated every week, and it's most likely why Carson said **** it.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:20 AM)kevin Wrote: You are talking years ahead....I'm going Flip Wilson and talking The Church Of What's Happening Now....Will the Bengals be FIXED in 2017.....NO, of course not.....So we are suppose to watch the BUNGLES slop through the 2017 season and get around 4 wins...watch it as we have dreams of that it ain't all that bad and we can rebuild over the upcoming years.....Well that doesn't change how stinking awful the 2017 BUNGLES are or how hard they are to watch.  They are every bit as hard to watch as the 1992, 2002 or 2008 BUNGLES. 

You're right about them being hard to watch Kev, but look what Minnesota did about their o line woes.  It was essentially fixed in one offseason.  The problem here is, will Mike Clown do something like that?  Probably not.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're right about them being hard to watch Kev, but look what Minnesota did about their o line woes.  It was essentially fixed in one offseason.  The problem here is, will Mike Clown do something like that?  Probably not.

In my opinion, fwiw, and that isn't much. Mike Brown has to go out and get at least 2 top tier FA O-linemen for us to have a prayer with this core. We're not gonna be able to draft four starting O-linemen in a single draft.

But first he has to start with a new HC and he has to part ways with PA as O-line coach. Hell promote him to HMFIC in the F.O. make up a title if they're that good of friends.

But have the common sense and care for your team, players, and fans to end this misery !
Reply/Quote