Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Solution for a Depleted Secondary
(11-05-2022, 10:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Too easy, just need to get a Myles Garrett and a Micah Parsons while giving Jonah to the Panthers. Ninja

Trey is rated just behind them in pressure. He just doesn't get as many sacks.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 10:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Trey is rated just behind them in pressure. He just doesn't get as many sacks.

[Image: epa-pressure-2-768x432.jpg]

It takes about 5.75 non-sack pressures to equal 1 sack in EPA.

Not getting as many sacks is a big deal. Doubly so if you're not even getting more pressures. Trey Hendrickson would need 23 more pressures than Parsons to make up for his 4 less sacks. 

If we're talking about the entire year's pace, with Parsons on pace for 17 sacks and Hendrickson on pace for 8.5, Hendrickson would need 49 more pressures than Parsons to cover that gap.

Sacks are king of pressure, and it's not even close.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 05:03 PM)lone bengal Wrote: In Theory the offense should be built to win shootouts/ games with a bad  D but Taylor struggles with all the resources we give him. The defense has been consistently good end of last year to this season which shows consistency versus some fluke. The defense seems to have good game plans and strategy because Lou can coach versus the offense which looks like a mess. Elite is rare for any team are offense is so bad at times we need to be the 2000 ravens defense to win games. Points allowed is the most important stat could care less about sacks/ turnovers if your holding teams to 20 or under that’s enough to win games. We signed so many free agents because all are early picks were on offense, Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Williams. And he made drafted guys like Wilson and Pratt work.

That's incredibly short-sighted. Sacks and turnovers aren't just ways to stop the other team from scoring points. It's also a way to put your offense in favorable position to score more points. You sack a QB for 8 yards, that doesn't just likely end the drive, that's also 8 less yards your offense needs to drive to score a TD. You get an INT or Fumble Recovery at the opposing team's 40, you're statistically much more likely to score points than if you just stopped them and fair caught a punt at your own 20, that's 40 yards of field position difference.

There's a reason why turnover margin is often looked at as an indicator of if a team will win or lose a game.

The Bengals defense under Lou has never been the 2000 Ravens. As I said before, they were 17th in scoring (points allowed, your most important stat) last year. That's below average.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
With the D decimated, at least we have our expectations calibrated for this game accurately.
Reply/Quote
Need to get some more pass rush, didn't even see Ossai today for some reason but our backups in the Secondary
played pretty fantastic. Think this was a great day today for our Secondary, Lou sure does a great job with these
guys. Jalen Davis was great, CTB was damn good, Apple was good etc.
Reply/Quote
Sidney Jones to Raiders.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sidney Jones to Raiders.

Who the hell is Sidney Jones, and why should we care?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 02:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Who the hell is Sidney Jones, and why should we care?

He is a decent Corner that I would of liked to add for depth. Too bad he didn't make it us on the waiver wire.

Still, CTB, Jalen Davis and Eli all played much better than I thought they would so we might survive without Awuzie.

Dax got banged up though so I would still like to add a Corner.
Reply/Quote
Wow, it is absolutely crazy to me that people are giving credit to Davis, CTB, Apple and basically everyone but Jessie Bates (and for that matter Vonn Bell) for yesterday's performance.

I don't need to see the PFF scores- the safety play was dominant. Especially Bates. 9 passing yds in the first half. And I'm not just talking about the pick; hell, I'm not talking about that at all. It was dropped in his lap. I'm talking about his help over the top for CTB and Apple, for his read of the offense and keeping everyone on the same page in front of him- despite the moving parts and injuries (Chido, Hilton, Flowers). Monumental from JB30. Call it "franchise player"-esque for those of us who've been criticizing him for his tag.

Mad respect to Mr. Bates. Well done. Leader of the defense when we most needed it. Walker surely had nightmares about him last night. Dominant.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 04:24 PM)tms Wrote: Wow, it is absolutely crazy to me that people are giving credit to Davis, CTB, Apple and basically everyone but Jessie Bates (and for that matter Vonn Bell) for yesterday's performance.

I don't need to see the PFF scores- the safety play was dominant. Especially Bates. 9 passing yds in the first half. And I'm not just talking about the pick; hell, I'm not talking about that at all. It was dropped in his lap. I'm talking about his help over the top for CTB and Apple, for his read of the offense and keeping everyone on the same page in front of him- despite the moving parts and injuries (Chido, Hilton, Flowers). Monumental from JB30. Call it "franchise player"-esque for those of us who've been criticizing him for his tag.

Mad respect to Mr. Bates. Well done. Leader of the defense when we most needed it. Walker surely had nightmares about him last night. Dominant.

True, Bates had a great game. I was just surprised by how well Davis and CTB played is all. Bates actually has been playing
pretty great for the last 4 or so games. He has been tackling well too which is my only complaint with him at times. He keeps
this up and he will get paid by somebody top Safety money.

I still say let someone else pay him that money and extend Vonn Bell instead which shouldn't be too hard. Have Dax and Vonn
be the future Safety duo for years to come.
Reply/Quote