Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I agree Burfict is a leader of the team
However, I disagree that this means he should continue with the fine drawing plays. The reason is not because I'm "soft", it is because he will wind up getting suspended and possibly banned if it continues. The other poster boy for these hits was James Harrison, who, after his suspension, has only drawn 1 personal foul for these rough hits in those years following. And he still makes many tackles and hits... he isnt an all-star anymore but I attribute that more to age than him not wanting to lay out mean hits. Burfict can do the same. I'm definitely not implying he should tone down the intensity, but I am implying that if he loses his head much more often, it won't MATTER how we feel about him (A player like that is divisive, as we've seen) because he won't be allowed to play.

The NFL has shown it doesn't like us... there's no precedence for a player who continues laying out these kind of hits after a suspension, they could literally do whatever they want. I want Burfict to be a leader for us, because we LACK a hardhitting mouthy jack*** and need one.

But he needs to pick his times better or we're going have one who doesn't play.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:00 PM)Gwillednt Wrote: However, I disagree that this means he should continue with the fine drawing plays. The reason is not because I'm "soft", it is because he will wind up getting suspended and possibly banned if it continues. The other poster boy for these hits was James Harrison, who, after his suspension, has only drawn 1 personal foul for these rough hits in those years following. And he still makes many tackles and hits... he isnt an all-star anymore but I attribute that more to age than him not wanting to lay out mean hits. Burfict can do the same. I'm definitely not implying he should tone down the intensity, but I am implying that if he loses his head much more often, it won't MATTER how we feel about him (A player like that is divisive, as we've seen) because he won't be allowed to play.

The NFL has shown it doesn't like us... there's no precedence for a player who continues laying out these kind of hits after a suspension, they could literally do whatever they want. I want Burfict to be a leader for us, because we LACK a hardhitting mouthy jack*** and need one.

I think he'll get there.  I believe in the guy.  I believed in him coming back from the knee and I believed in him not piling up any more concussions and i believe in him not being a hindrance to the cause in the future.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Vontaze Burfict reminds me of Ray Lewis* in the way he plays. He's fast, smart, and all over the field. Even the reporters around his locker after the same were scared of him. They almost whispered their questions, avoiding eye contact.

*Except for the murderer part, of course.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey being a bad Arse mofo isn't a job for a choir boy. Gotta live and play on the edge
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Vontaze Burfict reminds me of Ray Lewis* in the way he plays. He's fast, smart, and all over the field.  Even the reporters around his locker after the same were scared of him.  They almost whispered their questions, avoiding eye contact.

*Except for the murderer part, of course.

Well said, but um... Taze never struck me as smart. Not stupid either, mind you, but not smart.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:13 PM)Gwillednt Wrote: Well said, but um... Taze never struck me as smart. Not stupid either, mind you, but not smart.

No way! It's been said many times by many people, That dude is as football smart as anyone in the league. Football IQ off the charts.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:17 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: No way! It's been said many times by many people, That dude is as football smart as anyone in the league. 

I don't know... he does some things that are obviously penalties. Like i said, I don't mean he's dumb (there's some on our team that are, just like every team) but when I see him do things like run into the tunnel (that should have been a penalty, and could have had really nasty implications actually if he wasn't ruled down) and make late hits I just don't see him as super smart.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:17 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: No way! It's been said many times by many people, That dude is as football smart as anyone in the league. Football IQ off the charts.

That's true.  I met Vontaze Burfict at training camp and his football IQ would land him on the cast of Scorpion.   I urge you to look up the interview with Vontaze and his mother from maybe 2013 or so.  You'll see he is a lot sharper than his public persona leads people to believe.  I remember his mother telling a story about Vontaze calling from his first training camp in 2012.  He said, "Mama, that Coach Zimmer!  I am absolutely frightened of that man.  He scares me."

"Vontaze,"  his mother replied,  "That's exactly the kind of coach you want to play for.  Stay quiet, let him teach you and he'll make you great."
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:20 PM)Gwillednt Wrote: I don't know... he does some things that are obviously penalties. Like i said, I don't mean he's dumb (there's some on our team that are, just like every team) but when I see him do things like run into the tunnel (that should have been a penalty, and could have had really nasty implications actually if he wasn't ruled down) and make late hits I just don't see him as super smart.

You're not talking about intelligence.  You're talking about judgment.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:28 PM)McC Wrote: You're not talking about intelligence.  You're talking about judgment.

While true, things are called "Stupid decisions" when they are made.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:00 PM)Gwillednt Wrote: However, I disagree that this means he should continue with the fine drawing plays. The reason is not because I'm "soft", it is because he will wind up getting suspended and possibly banned if it continues. The other poster boy for these hits was James Harrison, who, after his suspension, has only drawn 1 personal foul for these rough hits in those years following. And he still makes many tackles and hits... he isnt an all-star anymore but I attribute that more to age than him not wanting to lay out mean hits. Burfict can do the same. I'm definitely not implying he should tone down the intensity, but I am implying that if he loses his head much more often, it won't MATTER how we feel about him (A player like that is divisive, as we've seen) because he won't be allowed to play.

Agreed he doesn't need to twist ankles or hit people in the nads anymore. Also he needs to be better at seeing what he hits. The guy is the best non pass rushing LB in the game but he does need to play with more poise next season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:30 PM)Gwillednt Wrote: While true, things are called "Stupid decisions" when they are made.

Yes, but even a genius can make a stupid decision.  It's really a matter of an error in judgment, more often than not because of an emotional response to something that is not well thought out, even if that person is smart and capable of great judgment.  It's a heat of the moment thing.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:35 PM)McC Wrote: Yes, but even a genius can make a stupid decision.  It's really a matter of an error in judgment, more often than not because of an emotional response to something that is not well thought out, even if that person is smart and capable of great judgment.  It's a heat of the moment thing.

Okay, semantically, you have me. I guess when I said he wasn't "smart" I meant that he often doesn't think.
Reply/Quote
That dude is a leader in the sense that my old buddy that used to get drunk and get me involved in bar fights was a leader. Sure, he was making something happen, but it was a toxic something.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:39 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: That dude is a leader in the sense that my old buddy that used to get drunk and get me involved in bar fights was a leader.  Sure, he was making something happen, but it was a toxic something.

Could your buddy lead the NFL in tackles though? I get what your saying but the guy is good at what he does. He needs to take it down a notch and he needs someone to rein him in.
J24

Reply/Quote
If burfict was on the steelers Ravens or patriots he would be praised as a top 5 linebacker. We are just a hated franchise and now because he laid out America's favorite midget , he is now viewed as the most hated player in the league . Nfl will prolly schedule us to play pitt in 1 of those 1st 3 games. Bank on it
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:42 PM)J24 Wrote: Could your buddy lead the NFL in tackles though? I get what your saying but the guy is good at what he does. He needs to take it down a notch and he needs someone to rein him in.

My point being...if someone needs to rein him in, then he isn't that much of a leader.  Look to Leon, Whit, or Dunlap if looking for your leader.  Look to Burfict to do what needs to be done, even if it causes side damage in the process.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:46 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: My point being...if someone needs to rein him in, then he isn't that much of a leader.  Look to Leon, Whit, or Dunlap if looking for your leader.  Look to Burfict to do what needs to be done, even if it causes side damage in the process.

I'd say he is a leader in the way he makes the guys around him better.  Someone to emulate?  In some ways, maybe.  In others, not.

But I consider him still a work in progress so I have high hopes for him getting it all figured out.  Throw out the bad, keep the good, you got a monster on your hands.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:46 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: My point being...if someone needs to rein him in, then he isn't that much of a leader.  Look to Leon, Whit, or Dunlap if looking for your leader.  Look to Burfict to do what needs to be done, even if it causes side damage in the process.

I would add Geno to your list with Whit, Leon, and Dunlap.  I agree he needs to mature to be a better leader or a worth while leader.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's true.  I met Vontaze Burfict at training camp and his football IQ would land him on the cast of Scorpion.   I urge you to look up the interview with Vontaze and his mother from maybe 2013 or so.  You'll see he is a lot sharper than his public persona leads people to believe.  I remember his mother telling a story about Vontaze calling from his first training camp in 2012.  He said, "Mama, that Coach Zimmer!  I am absolutely frightened of that man.  He scares me."

"Vontaze,"  his mother replied,  "That's exactly the kind of coach you want to play for.  Stay quiet, let him teach you and he'll make you great."

The problem would seem to lay in the fact that Coach Zimmer isn't here anymore.  Coach Guenther seems to let the boys do what they want..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote