Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am not that worried about losing Hue Jackson
As Hue gets a HC job, many were worrried about losing him. I am not. I think he made 2 huge mistakes last night, 1 that people are talking about, 1 that nobody is mentioning.

I think the biggest mistake of the game was that god awful 2 pt conversion play call. On the TD before, Jeremy Hill literally walked into the endzone from 2 yards out. We lined up with Fisher at FB and stuffed it in. Why wasn't a similar call made for the 2 point conversion? The steelers could not stop that. Instead, Hue tries to get cute and calls a play that plays right into the strength of the steeler D...their LB speed. If we had made that 2 pt conversion, the FG at the end would have been for the tie. Why is this not being discussed more? And Hue did that throughout the season. I get that you want to keep the D guessing, but how many times did he try to get the ball to Fisher this season with the other skill players that we have? To me that was a HUGE moment in the game and contributed heavily to why we eventually lost.

The one that everyone IS talking about is the play calling after the Burfict INT. At the 20 yard line, the Bengals could have taken a knee all three downs, burned all the steeler TOs, then kicked an easy FG, putting us up by 4. The steelers then would have had to drive the field for a TD to get the win as we would have been up by 4.

I thought those were 2 glaring mistakes in game management by our OC. So as Hue rides off into the sunset, I will wish him well, except when he plays us, but not mourn his leaving.
Reply/Quote
I'll see who we replace him with before I trumpet his departure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll see who we replace him with before I trumpet his departure.

Exactly
Reply/Quote
Oy, Bratkowski hasn't even had a job since 2012...if we bring him back as the OC I fully expect and support Dalton and Green to start testing free-agency.
Reply/Quote
I disagree completely with criticizing Hue for not taking three kneel downs. First of all the drive started at the 25 yard line. You kneel down three times you're probably lining up at the 28 yard line for a 46 yard FG attempt in the rain. Plus, the Steelers had all three timeouts left so if you miss that FG the Steelers have a pretty short distance to go to get into FG range themselves with well over a minute left. Jeremy Hill just has to keep the ball in his grasp.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:52 PM)Beaker Wrote: As Hue gets a HC job, many were worrried about losing him. I am not. I think he made 2 huge mistakes last night, 1 that people are talking about, 1 that nobody is mentioning.

I think the biggest mistake of the game was that god awful 2 pt conversion play call. On the TD before, Jeremy Hill literally walked into the endzone from 2 yards out. We lined up with Fisher at FB and stuffed it in. Why wasn't a similar call made for the 2 point conversion? The steelers could not stop that. Instead, Hue tries to get cute and calls a play that plays right into the strength of the steeler D...their LB speed. If we had made that 2 pt conversion, the FG at the end would have been for the tie. Why is this not being discussed more? And Hue did that throughout the season. I get that you want to keep the D guessing, but how many times did he try to get the ball to Fisher this season with the other skill players that we have? To me that was a HUGE moment in the game and contributed heavily to why we eventually lost.

The one that everyone IS talking about is the play calling after the Burfict INT. At the 20 yard line, the Bengals could have taken a knee all three downs, burned all the steeler TOs, then kicked an easy FG, putting us up by 4. The steelers then would have had to drive the field for a TD to get the win as we would have been up by 4.

I thought those were 2 glaring mistakes in game management by our OC. So as Hue rides off into the sunset, I will wish him well, except when he plays us, but not mourn his leaving.

Disagree fully.

Our offense has the ball, they have 3 timeouts. Get the 1st down, you win. Hue called the right play. Hill gained 6 yards on the first run, he just fumbled the ball.

You get the 1st down, you run the clock down Plus, you get closer for Nugent to kick it in. Every coach runs the ball there. And it was the right decision by Hue to do so.

People complained before the game that Hue needed to be "aggressive". Say we kick that field goal and the Steelers go down and score. Do you think people are going to criticize Hue for not trying to pick up a 1st down and that he gave up on his offense?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, this year we had a pretty good offense under Hue BUT if a RB with fumbling issues fumbles, then I'm not going to be sad he leaves. Hill won't fumble the ball while Bratkowski is calling plays! No way!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:52 PM)Beaker Wrote: As Hue gets a HC job, many were worrried about losing him. I am not. I think he made 2 huge mistakes last night, 1 that people are talking about, 1 that nobody is mentioning.

LOL Anyone concerned about losing Hugh Jackson needs their head examined.  I hope he DOES get a HC job.
Reply/Quote

From a coaching and not a fan perspective.. you never want to put the ball in the opponents hands if can especially with over a minute to go.. we get a first down we win.... nothing wrong with running it.. we fumbled that is part of the game.
Reply/Quote
Seriously, people need to stop with the "shoulda gone for kneeldowns"

It's only good in hindsight because we fumbled.
Reply/Quote
Hue is so overrated in my opinion. Ive been saying it all year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The first point about the goalline toss I wholeheartedly agree with. However, you gotta run the ball in those conditions at the end of the game to get as close as possible for the field goal. The frustrating part is IDK what more Hill could have done because he had the football with both arms and was explicitly trying not to fumble. That was crazy.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 11:13 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I disagree completely with criticizing Hue for not taking three kneel downs.  First of all the drive started at the 25 yard line.  You kneel down three times you're probably lining up at the 28 yard line for a 46 yard FG attempt in the rain.  Plus, the Steelers had all three timeouts left so if you miss that FG the Steelers have a pretty short distance to go to get into FG range themselves with well over a minute left.  Jeremy Hill just has to keep the ball in his grasp.

This^. So much THis^ Jeremy Hill even admitted to losing the game. /thread

Reply/Quote
All this talk about Brat is just silly.

There is NO WAY that'll happen...None.

At least, I hope not...

Anyhow, the OP mentions the time management at the end of the game...Isn't that on Marvin? I don't want to see him go, but I'd like to have a new HC and keep Marvin as a FO guy.

Sadly, even after the implosion and yet another loss, ML will be the HC until he dies probably. Just like Mike Brown is going to be the GM until he dies...

It's freaking ridiculous and it's clearly NOT WORKING.
Reply/Quote

you wanted the steelers in the playoffs. you have no idea as to how important hue may or may not be to this team. you knew better or should've known better but you didn't. your argument is invalid.
Reply/Quote
No coach would kneel in that position, Steelers had 3 TOs left. the right thing was to run. You have to run to win playoff games. Gio can't go a full game and seems to always take dirty hits on screens that injure him. We don't have a fulltime running back. Apparently Gio would get tired or killed, and Hill is fairly worthless at his position. You run to kill their TOs, get a first down, and kill the game.

Steelers escaped. The funny part is when they say we choked, they're right, we choked - we were supposed to win and they were supposed to lose.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Completely agree with the 2 point conversion call.  Had our north/south runner running sideways.  Bizarre.  And I am pretty sure that Green wasn't on the field.

I do think you run the ball after the interception.  One 1st down wins it.  As head coach or especially as offensive coordinator, you need to tell your fumble prone back that he is getting the ball and all he needs to do is protect it.  You wouldn't think you would need to tell an NFL back that, but on the Bengals you do.
Reply/Quote