Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Combine Expectations
(03-01-2020, 03:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Injuries not just tough for the players, but for the teams that end up drafting them.  Those teams are losing valuable developmental time with those players, as they recover well enough from a hamstring in order to try to catch up to speed at some point in the year.  Hamstring issues are tricky, they typically don't just "heal up completely" with a month or two of rest.  They typically come back to nag, relapse, flare up, etc. at the most inopportune times, for the duration of the season.

So, is a team really getting such a "bargain" when players fall, due to things like pulled hamstrings in running stupid track style events at the combine?  More than likely what happens is a guy that probably would have been a day 1 starter, gets to spend the bulk of his season coming off the bench, and effectively costing the team 25% of the value of his rookie deal.  That's just my opinion on the matter, I'm sure others see it quite differently.

That's true, didn't consider it in that manner. But for a team like ours, even if (for example) Queen makes it to our 2nd pick and is sidelined for the first 2-3 games and plays well enough for a 2nd contract then do you think it is a bad deal? 

And sorry if it feels like I'm singling your posts out, I saw my opportunity to ask the question about Shenault that I had since I saw the news of his injury. He was a player I was hoping would make it to our 2nd but with the injury, I wondered if now maybe he makes it to 3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:11 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: That's true, didn't consider it in that manner. But for a team like ours, even if (for example) Queen makes it to our 2nd pick and is sidelined for the first 2-3 games and plays well enough for a 2nd contract then do you think it is a bad deal? 

And sorry if it feels like I'm singling your posts out, I saw my opportunity to ask the question about Shenault that I had since I saw the news of his injury. He was a player I was hoping would make it to our 2nd but with the injury, I wondered if now maybe he makes it to 3.

Before the combine, both Kiper and McShay had Shenault firmly in the 1st round.  If he were smart, he would have stood on that, and not performed at the combine. (Once you're a consensus 1st round projection, what is there to prove?)

Now, with the injury and impending surgery, he's somewhat of a gamble to take in the first two rounds.  This draft is very deep at WR, most teams will, and should go for the healthy option and get a player who will be a full participant from day 1. I totally get why Queen and Murray felt obligated to perform, as they both were teetering on that 1sst/2nd round designation. Ironic that they ran almost identical times, both ended up getting injured, despite running settling nothing for a team that might have been considering either or.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:01 PM)Synric Wrote: I know everyone is on the linebacker train but I would love to see the Bengals get a versatile playmaker at safety. Cincy has a good center field guy in Jessie Bates that has the range to handle single high duties easily. I would like them to add a guy that can play cover 2, overhang, box, nickle corner, off the edge on the line etc..

Personally, they need to address LB in FA.  Simmons is the only one that checks all the boxes, and he's probably going Top 5 now.  Murray is the only other one I would consider on Day 2.  Everyone else has experience or injury flags.  Even if you take one, the likelihood that any of them will be a Day 1 quality starter isn't good.  Pratt should improve in year 2 and Vigil is a serviceable #3 if reupped.  

Williams isn't bad, but he can definitely be upgraded over.  If a guy like Delpit falls to us in 2, I'd be happy with them as the pick.
Reply/Quote
Tanner Muse made some money today. I mentioned him last month as one of those safety/linebacker hybrid guy with a ton of experience. He just ran a 4.41 at 6'2 227 and while hes not as smooth as these dbs he looks good for a linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:01 PM)Synric Wrote: I know everyone is on the linebacker train but I would love to see the Bengals get a versatile playmaker at safety. Cincy has a good center field guy in Jessie Bates that has the range to handle single high duties easily. I would like them to add a guy that can play cover 2, overhang, box, nickle corner, off the edge on the line etc..

Do you have someone in mind?
Reply/Quote