Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't think it can be understated
the importance of Taylor trying to score with less than a minute in the 1st half.

There were times where Marvin Lewis would try to score with less than a minute but those times were rare. IIRC, it was basically if we were down more than 2 scores and the other team was getting the ball first in the 2nd half, THEN Marv would try to score.

In every other situation, Marvin would call a running play and if it got a huge chunk of yardage, he would try to get at least a FG, but usually it didn't and he'd run the clock out.

We were only down 4 points, but Taylor still tried to score even though there was less than a minute to go and, lo and behold we scored!

I hope he continues to be aggressive.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:35 PM)PhilHos Wrote: the importance of Taylor trying to score with less than a minute in the 1st half.

There were times where Marvin Lewis would try to score with less than a minute but those times were rare. IIRC, it was basically if we were down more than 2 scores and the other team was getting the ball first in the 2nd half, THEN Marv would try to score.

In every other situation, Marvin would call a running play and if it got a huge chunk of yardage, he would try to get at least a FG, but usually it didn't and he'd run the clock out.

We were only down 4 points, but Taylor still tried to score even though there was less than a minute to go and, lo and behold we scored!

On sports radio they said the Bengals never scored a TD when getting the ball in similar situations (same yardage, same amount of time on the clock) in 16 years under Marvin. Pretty telling!
Reply/Quote
That was a nice development. I'd rather be aggressive than passive.

I honestly think 40+ passes are more fun to watch than 22 passes too.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Fred can explain why that was a trend under
Marvin
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Maybe Fred can explain why that was a trend under
Marvin

Obviously, it has to be for the same reason that Marvin didn't like winning games by a wide margin of points.  It's just not gentlemanly and sporting to try to rush down there and score, right before the buzzer..   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dehner researched that last minute scenario...From his article

It turns out this happened 24 times under Lewis.

You know how many times it resulted in a touchdown? I’ll wait while you think about it.

(One more pause for dramatic effect)

Zero. Not once. In 16 years.

The Bengals kicked four field goals in the 24 drives and turned it over four times. They also ran the ball 35 percent of the time.

The number of those games they lost by one possession? Nine.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 04:00 PM)pally Wrote: Dehner researched that last minute scenario...From his article

It turns out this happened 24 times under Lewis.

You know how many times it resulted in a touchdown? I’ll wait while you think about it.

(One more pause for dramatic effect)

Zero. Not once. In 16 years.

The Bengals kicked four field goals in the 24 drives and turned it over four times. They also ran the ball 35 percent of the time.

The number of those games they lost by one possession? Nine.

That did suck. We'd run it to see if we popped a big run, which we didn't because everyone knew a run was coming. Then just kneel or run the clock out.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 04:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That did suck. We'd run it to see if we popped a big run, which we didn't because everyone knew a run was coming. Then just kneel or run the clock out.

That would tick me off so much.  I get it's situational and a lot of teams do the same thing but c'mon.

Pittsburgh would never run it and would most of the time go deep down the field.  And many of these times they'd get a pass interference call, so much so I swear that was part of their game plan (try to get the PI).
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That was a nice development. I'd rather be aggressive than passive.

I honestly think 40+ passes are more fun to watch than 22 passes too.

I honestly think gaining yards is more fun than not gaining yards no matter if they come through the air or on the ground. ThumbsUp

(09-11-2019, 04:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That did suck. We'd run it to see if we popped a big run, which we didn't because everyone knew a run was coming. Then just kneel or run the clock out.

Yep. Things like that and Carson taking a knee on an offsides instead of taking a shot downfield drove me nuts. NUTS.
Reply/Quote
And lest we forget...this was able to happen because the coach called time out when Seattle had the ball to preserve enough time to have the drive even happen.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
How did he miss this one? I was actually at this game.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: How did he miss this one? I was actually at this game.

That's the one that popped in my head too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:30 PM)jason Wrote: That's the one that popped in my head too.

We were shocked.  Absolutely dumbfounded when this Hail Mary play was called.

I was on the side of that endzone when it happened!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Maybe Fred can explain why that was a trend under
Marvin

Don't poke the bear......
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: How did he miss this one?  I was actually at this game.

Dehner's search took both time remaining and the starting spot on the field into account. I believe he searched for something like "drives with 75+ yards to go and <60 seconds on the clock", just like the Bengals faced at that moment in the Seattle game. This one wouldn't have shown up because it was a shorter distance.

FWIW
Reply/Quote
Marvin would have ran the ball twice, called a timeout, then taken a knee.

Hell i went to the bathroom after Seattle scored and missed the long Ross TD.

I was shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:35 PM)PhilHos Wrote: the importance of Taylor trying to score with less than a minute in the 1st half.

Yes, that surprised me. I think it surprised Seattle too. They were not ready for that at all.

Reply/Quote

Very true, this isn't the same Bengals team we have seen for the last 16 years.

This is what teams like the Patriots, Chiefs, Rams and Packers do. They want to take the lead before the Half.

Taylor has fun out there and it will be rewarded, it is a game in the end. 

You can tell when the players are having fun they play better. But we want to win.

Hopefully the winning starts this Sunday against San Fran. Think it will with this team even if the Niners are tough.
Reply/Quote
I think we have a modern playbook now. I think what's going to take time is getting a feel for when to call certain plays in games. That needs a little work.

It is more entertaining seeing the team do different things though...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we have a modern playbook now. I think what's going to take time is getting a feel for when to call certain plays in games. That needs a little work.

It is more entertaining seeing the team do different things though...

And a slight shock to see aggressive play from BOTH sides of the ball with this team.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote