Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't think people realize how well
I really don't think people realize just exactly how well the Bengals FO has done over the past decade. You can take last season as an example. The Bengals had 17 players on IR and still won 10.5 games and made the playoffs. To put that into perspective, the ravens had 21 players on IR this year and went 5-11. And thats with everyone trumpeting how good Ozzie Newsome is at drafting. Just let that sink in and I think you will appreciate this franchise a little more.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 06:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: I really don't think people realize just exactly how well the Bengals FO has done over the past decade. You can take last season as an example. The Bengals had 17 players on IR and still won 10.5 games and made the playoffs. To put that into perspective, the ravens had 21 players on IR this year and went 5-11. And thats with everyone trumpeting how good Ozzie Newsome is at drafting. Just let that sink in and I think you will appreciate this franchise a little more.

There is some talent on the Bengals.  Heck even Burfict, when he funnels his anger into making plays is very good.  I said after his INT that I fully expected him to do something really stupid and instead he came out and dominated for two series culminating with the sack and then the INT.

And I'll admit I was stunned the Steelers ran the ball so well with their 4th and 5th string RB's against that defense.

Now the question will be if they can harness the good players who make the boneheaded plays or replace them and continue their winning ways.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 12:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: There is some talent on the Bengals.  Heck even Burfict, when he funnels his anger into making plays is very good.  I said after his INT that I fully expected him to do something really stupid and instead he came out and dominated for two series culminating with the sack and then the INT.

And I'll admit I was stunned the Steelers ran the ball so well with their 4th and 5th string RB's against that defense.

Now the question will be if they can harness the good players who make the boneheaded plays or replace them and continue their winning ways.

that hill fumble lost it for us.... Your running backs did well because we were playing the pass all game.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 12:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that hill fumble lost it for us....   Your running backs did well because we were playing the pass all game.

Even after the fumble you had an injured Ben trying to get the team to field goal range.

Before the hit on AB the Bengals D was holding the line and it would have been a whale of a finish.  AFTER the AB hit the Steelers still were looking at a 50+ yard field goal attempt.

After the SECOND penalty the rookie kicker still had to make a game winning kick in his first playoff game.

The fumble started the process, but the two fouls killed the team.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
It's the most talented roster in the NFL.

Being managed by a mediocre management.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 01:01 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's the most talented roster in the NFL.

Being managed by a mediocre marvin lewis.

Fixed it for you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis keeping his job and Cleveland blowing up their whole team.......just another NFL offseason in Ohio.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Even after the fumble you had an injured Ben trying to get the team to field goal range.

Before the hit on AB the Bengals D was holding the line and it would have been a whale of a finish.  AFTER the AB hit the Steelers still were looking at a 50+ yard field goal attempt.

After the SECOND penalty the rookie kicker still had to make a game winning kick in his first playoff game.

The fumble started the process, but the two fouls killed the team.

I'm all for accepting penalties, for bad decisions.  However, there should have been a flag for Joey Porter being on the field, jawing with the Bengals.  That kick would have been much tougher from 50+

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 08:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm all for accepting penalties, for bad decisions.  However, there should have been a flag for Joey Porter being on the field, jawing with the Bengals.  That kick would have been much tougher from 50+

I guess.  I mean I've seen coaches on the field many, many times during an injury timeout.  Usually head coaches.  

Of course the Steelers could still have ran another play to get closer too.

We were debating that during the timeout...because if you run the play and then say you don't get set before spiking the ball there is a ten second run off and your lose anyway.

Luckily Jones did a dumb thing.  Smirk
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 06:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: I really don't think people realize just exactly how well the Bengals FO has done over the past decade. You can take last season as an example. The Bengals had 17 players on IR and still won 10.5 games and made the playoffs. To put that into perspective, the ravens had 21 players on IR this year and went 5-11. And thats with everyone trumpeting how good Ozzie Newsome is at drafting. Just let that sink in and I think you will appreciate this franchise a little more.

The Ravens had 19 players on the IR last season, won 10 games, made the playoffs, and won a game in the playoffs. They had the most injuries they have had in team history and still did more than the Bengals have been able to do in 25 years.

The difference between this season is who was on the IR. This season those 21 players included their QB, their #1 RB, their #1,2,4,5, receivers, their best defensive player (best pass rusher), their starting center, a starting offensive tackle, their #1 and 2 tight ends, and a starting safety. 

A quick look at the IR from the Bengals 2014 seasons shows us this is an asinine comparison. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:26 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Fixed it for you.

Mediocre Marv and His Merry Band of Tenured Bums ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 12:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: There is some talent on the Bengals.  Heck even Burfict, when he funnels his anger into making plays is very good.  I said after his INT that I fully expected him to do something really stupid and instead he came out and dominated for two series culminating with the sack and then the INT.

Vontaze is to the Bengals what Harrison was to the Steelers back around 2008: a game changing player, but also a nasty player who makes questionable or illegal hits. Harrison seems to have turned it around. I hope Burflict can follow his example in that, as well.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 01:04 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Vontaze is to the Bengals what Harrison was to the Steelers back around 2008: a game changing player, but also a nasty player who makes questionable or illegal hits. Harrison seems to have turned it around. I hope Burflict can follow his example in that, as well.

Or not.  Harrison played within the rules.  Then they changed the rules and every even close hit he got a flag on.  Folks like to bring up the Cleveland game where he took two players out.  I was there.  The league over-reacted.

That said he changed his style of play and continued to be a force.

Burfict came INTO the league with a reputation and has lived up to it.  Unfortunately it is a reputation for the bad hits and the after the whistle stuff.  HE *should* know better given the rules were established when he entered the league.  And Harrison was never known for being dirty after the play ended.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 01:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Or not.  Harrison played within the rules.  Then they changed the rules and every even close hit he got a flag on.  Folks like to bring up the Cleveland game where he took two players out.  I was there.  The league over-reacted.

That said he changed his style of play and continued to be a force.

Burfict came INTO the league with a reputation and has lived up to it.  Unfortunately it is a reputation for the bad hits and the after the whistle stuff.  HE *should* know better given the rules were established when he entered the league.  And Harrison was never known for being dirty after the play ended.

But even after the rules changes, Harrison continued to willfully make the illegal hits because he didn't agree with the rules. That sounds like Vontaze to me.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote