Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel bad for Higgins and Boyd
Pretty expected. I think there was a poll or thread asking how many of the top 3 would finish the season with 1,000 yards receiving. I thought 1. Said that Higgins and Boyd would both be around 900.

Adding a 1,000 yard receiver doesn't just add 1,000 yards to your totals. Some of that has to come from others production. We all knew that Chase would be getting the majority of the deep passes, that means Boyd and Higgins are getting less of those deep looks so even if they catch the same amount of passes, it'll be for less yards. Those explosive plays are what really accumulate big time to totals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
When all three play together, Higgins has been targeted the most, then Chase, then Boyd. Pretty sure this will only be a problem if we lose a lot. Boyd has not been on a winning Bengals team yet, and Higgins hasn’t either. If Chase has more yards than them, and we are playoff caliber, they probably won’t care as much. Whatever helps us win.
Reply/Quote
They have had far fewer offensive plays this season than last. Additionally, the balance between run/pass is far closer than last season when they were usually throwing because they had gotten behind. Fewer overall opportunities=lower production totals. I'd rather have lower numbers and the 4-2 record and far more productive run game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Sooner or later some team will work out how to take away Chase. That's when we'll need Higgins and Boyd the most.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
For clarification, I didn't make this thread to suggest that the Bengals shouldn't have taken Chase, as I think he's a great WR.
Nor do I think the Bengals don't benefit from having Higgins and Boyd on the roster along with Chase.
Just pointing out the fact that with Chase added, we could see Higgins' and Boyd's numbers be lower than we're used to, and it might result in either or both of them leaving once their contracts are up in a couple years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 03:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty expected. I think there was a poll or thread asking how many of the top 3 would finish the season with 1,000 yards receiving. I thought 1. Said that Higgins and Boyd would both be around 900.

Adding a 1,000 yard receiver doesn't just add 1,000 yards to your totals. Some of that has to come from others production. We all knew that Chase would be getting the majority of the deep passes, that means Boyd and Higgins are getting less of those deep looks so even if they catch the same amount of passes, it'll be for less yards. Those explosive plays are what really accumulate big time to totals.

This.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
You know, perhaps this is a rare moment where the bengals have drafted exactly as per expectations?

..and credit to the players and front office for that.

Chase is a #5 overall pick - you hope he is elite and difference maker and is to date!

Tee is a great WR2 who produces … picked at top of rd2 ‘cos perhaps not quite true WR1 and is to date!

Boyd is a great slot receiver, tough and reliable…picked mid/latter rd2 ..slot / possession guys aren’t rd1

So nothing to be sad , regretful about - 3 high WR picks with different roles - all contributing.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well all kind of had a suspicion back when Chase was drafted, but so far through the 2021 season it's seeming to be true...
Higgins and Boyd have become the WR2/WR3 of the group.

Higgins has only 194 yards across 4 games, putting him on pace for between 700-800 yards by season's end.
Boyd only has 290 yards across 6 games, putting him on pace for around 800-900 yards by season's end.

Chase is at 553 yards across 6 games and on pace for over 1500 yards and double-digit TDs. He's clearly the WR1 now.

I just feel bad because I do think Higgins could be a 1000+ yard WR if he got more opportunities, and we know Boyd can since he's done it multiple times before.

We won't have to worry about it for a couple more seasons after this one, but I could see Higgins and/or Boyd choosing to play elsewhere once their contract is up in order to get more opportunities.

They never were never true #1s, why do you think The Bengals completed 2 deep passes all last year and then drafted Chase? ... .. They haven't helped their case with the drops either, and Boyd getting Burrow picked in OT agaisnt GB.. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:01 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: I literally couldn't care less

Right? Who gives a shit? We finally have an Alpha male WR to take the top off... I could care less as long as Chase sticks around. He's the true star #1 here.. I'm sure Higgins and Boyd Expected this.. You don't take a WR at #5 and not feed him.. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:11 PM)J24 Wrote: Higgins is averaging 7 targets a game and Boyd is averaging 6.3 targets. Chase is only averaging 6.8 targets. It's not like the guy is getting force fed the ball.

Also Chase being the  deep threat that he is will eventually open up the middle of the Field for both Boyd and Higgins.

I think we could do a better job attacking the middle now either with Boyd Tee or UZO. Seems like seam routes would be open all day
Reply/Quote
Yeah I've noticed this and I'm a little concerned. I mainly feel we should be getting Boyd more targets. I know Chase is a beast and he needs his opportunities and Higgins also needs targets. But Boyd has proven he's one of the best slot guys in the league and I think targeting him early and often in games will help us maintain drives and open things up for Higgins and Chase.
Reply/Quote
Good info.

(10-18-2021, 02:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, the targets are pretty even;

Chase - 41

Boyd - 38

Tee - 28 (missed 2 games)

Chase is racking up the yards and TD’s because he’s just far more explosive than the other two.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 06:50 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: I think we could do a better job attacking the middle now either with Boyd Tee or UZO. Seems like seam routes would be open all day

Yes. Preach! With Burrow + 3 awesome WR’s and a very capable TE, this drives me bonkers!
Reply/Quote
I am sure they will get over it(If they even care to begin with)and just want what's best for the team.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ZT and his play calling are doing them no favors. The Bucs are LOADED at WR and their receivers all get theirs. The offense as a whole isn't producing at the level they should be. That falls on ZT. 

The Bucs are pretty well balanced across their WRs.
All of Evans, Brown, and Godwin are within 11 yards of each other.
420 for Evans, 418 for Brown, 409 for Godwin.
All have within 7 targets of each other too.
49, 42, and 46 respectively.

Add in 394 yards on 51 targets for the TEs (Gronk, Brate, Howard).

As we know though, Arians always has a really good passing game.
He helped turn Palmer's career around, and he's making Brady lead the league in yards and 2nd in TDs.

It's no secret though that with Brown added, Godwin and Evans don't get the same production that they used to.
They might be fine with that though given they just won a SB and are 5-1.
If the Bengals start pushing deep into the postseason, it may not matter for Higgins or Boyd either. But if they really don't go anywhere into the postseason, it might matter some.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
1-Zac Taylor’s play calling is having a negative impact on Higgins and Boyd.2-Please keep Sample on the bench.He’s just taking targets away from Chase,Higgins,Boyd,Uzomah.3-Joe Burrow should throw the ball more on third down,targeting either Higgins or Boyd,especially if it’s over 3 yards.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 07:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As we know though, Arians always has a really good passing game.
He helped turn Palmer's career around, and he's making Brady lead the league in yards and 2nd in TDs.

44-year-old Tom Brady being on pace to throw for 5,848 yards and 48 TDs is not what I would have guessed.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well all kind of had a suspicion back when Chase was drafted, but so far through the 2021 season it's seeming to be true...
Higgins and Boyd have become the WR2/WR3 of the group.

Higgins has only 194 yards across 4 games, putting him on pace for between 700-800 yards by season's end.
Boyd only has 290 yards across 6 games, putting him on pace for around 800-900 yards by season's end.

Chase is at 553 yards across 6 games and on pace for over 1500 yards and double-digit TDs. He's clearly the WR1 now.

I just feel bad because I do think Higgins could be a 1000+ yard WR if he got more opportunities, and we know Boyd can since he's done it multiple times before.

We won't have to worry about it for a couple more seasons after this one, but I could see Higgins and/or Boyd choosing to play elsewhere once their contract is up in order to get more opportunities.

I think the only thing stupider than paying a RB a second contract is paying any player a 3rd contract. We learned that lesson with Dunlap and Geno. Ja'Marr Chase is Tyler Boyd's replacement. Quite frankly I'm sure both Higgins and Boyd are enjoying this season more than last so far anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ZT and his play calling are doing them no favors. The Bucs are LOADED at WR and their receivers all get theirs. The offense as a whole isn't producing at the level they should be. That falls on ZT. 

That makes no sense?
Reply/Quote
Don't really see this as a big issue and as pointed out they are all getting between 6 and 7 targets a game each.

Would hate to lose Tee or Boyd when contracts end but especially Tyler.

Because it was rumored that he was the steelers target in draft that year and the Bengals stepped up and took him.
Could see him going back home to play for them cheaters if he leaves Cincinnati.

Love all 3 WR's and hope they stay together for years to come.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote