Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel bad for Higgins and Boyd
(10-19-2021, 10:00 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Like others have said I could care less about individual stats if are offense is clicking which it hasn't in many games this year. I think it has less to do with Chase and more to do with scheme and guys under performing. We played some teams with bad corners like the Bears, Lions and the Packers without Alexander and these guys were nowhere to be found. I thought Higgins would be a stud this year I'm cutting him some slack because maybe he's still injured ? but he seems slow and unable to separate this year. We've been so bad on 3rd and short this year I figured Boyd would thrive underneath moving the chains.

Drops were a huge problem during the Packer game also.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They compliment each other perfectly. Chase is a deep threat, explosive YAC WR. Tee is a bigger, more physical over the middle and jump ball WR who is plenty explosive in his own right. Boyd is an underneath, strong, sure handed possession type who can also beat you in other ways.

If Tee hadn’t missed time, the target share would be almost identical.

I’m going to take some time to reflect on this and really explore my feelings, and I may reach out to all these guys individually, just so they know I am here if they need me.

But I’m guessing we’re all going to make it through this.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
The targets seem to be pretty even. I have been thinking for a while now we prob lose Boyd when his contract is up. We wont be able to pay all three. Nature of the beast. Just hope he doesn’t go back to his home town team. ?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 10:05 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Spreading the ball was how Brady was able to get many of his rings.

Yep, but other than Gronk or Edelman, most receivers were low draft picks and/or didn't stick around for a second contract.
So depending on if Higgins and/or Boyd wants more opportunities in an offense, they might look to play elsewhere after their current contract.
Again, it's not something that matters for 2022 or 2023 since they are both under contract, but the Bengals might need to look for another receiver (or two) for 2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Chase is still getting a lot of single coverage (for reasons I couldn't tell you). Eventually that's going to change, perhaps as soon as this Sunday, and I think that's when Higgins and Boyd are going to have to feast. We already know what Boyd can do in Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well all kind of had a suspicion back when Chase was drafted, but so far through the 2021 season it's seeming to be true...
Higgins and Boyd have become the WR2/WR3 of the group.

Higgins has only 194 yards across 4 games, putting him on pace for between 700-800 yards by season's end.
Boyd only has 290 yards across 6 games, putting him on pace for around 800-900 yards by season's end.

Chase is at 553 yards across 6 games and on pace for over 1500 yards and double-digit TDs. He's clearly the WR1 now.

I just feel bad because I do think Higgins could be a 1000+ yard WR if he got more opportunities, and we know Boyd can since he's done it multiple times before.

We won't have to worry about it for a couple more seasons after this one, but I could see Higgins and/or Boyd choosing to play elsewhere once their contract is up in order to get more opportunities.

Football is a game of matchups.  And no matter how much I felt like the Detroit matchup said to go 3 wide and air it out and test those UDFA CBs, they went 12 and tried to run the ball.  

Regardless, remember a few things about Higgins and Boyd:  

Higgins has missed two games to injury, and then he had two really bad drops against Green Bay.  

Boyd had a miscommunication with Burrow, but will get back on the same page quickly.  

For this offense to truly work, all three will be needed and needed to be at their best.  I think Higgins is due for a huge game and this could be it.  

Boyd has been a Raven killer in the past.  

Just 6 games in.....and while I understand what you are saying, I would be shocked if by year's end Boyd isn't over 1000 yards and possibly HIggins as well.  
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:18 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Imagine how Tate feels.

This is my response. Tate went from playing a lot to barely playing and he did nothing to merit the decrease in PT. If anything this is the year he was projected to become that WR1 type guy.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Tate averaged 4.4 yds of separation according
To Next Gen stats vs the Lions.
So.the narrative that Auden cannot separate
Is untrue.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 01:13 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2021 Average QB Numbers (16 games): 65.9% Completion, 3,961 yards (7.5 YPA), 27 TDs/13 INTs, 95.2 QB Rating
2011 Average QB Numbers (16 games): 60.1% Completion, 3,675 yards (7.2 YPA), 24 TDs/16 INTs, 84.3 QB Rating
2001 Average QB Numbers (16 games): 59.0% Completion, 3,293 yards (6.8 YPA), 21 TDs/18 INTs, 78.5 QB Rating
1991 Average QB Numbers (16 games): 57.4% Completion, 3,186 yards (6.9 YPA), 18 TDs/18 INTs, 76.2 QB Rating

The last decade has absolutely ballooned QB numbers. They had been going up regardless, but the rule changes because of the Seahawks PI Defense and the defenseless receivers have taken it to a whole new level. Pretty much since Goodell became the commissioner in 2006.

The climb in stats favors your theory. I'm just blown away that (a) the average passer rating has climbed 11 points in the last 10 years, and (b) the "average" passer rating is now 95.2. That used to be fantastic. Even fairly recently.

Same deal with the completion % and TDs.

I also know there was change allowing QBs to throw the ball away outside of the pocket back in the early 2000s, and INTs drastically declined after that. I always bring that up any time people bring up old QBs throwing so many picks. They kinda had to force the ball when modern QBs could just throw it away.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 06:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The climb in stats favors your theory. I'm just blown away that (a) the average passer rating has climbed 11 points in the last 10 years, and (b) the "average" passer rating is now 95.2. That used to be fantastic. Even fairly recently.

Same deal with the completion % and TDs.

I also know there was change allowing QBs to throw the ball away outside of the pocket back in the early 2000s, and INTs drastically declined after that. I always bring that up any time people bring up old QBs throwing so many picks. They kinda had to force the ball when modern QBs could just throw it away.

95.2 would have been the 7th best QB Rating in 2011. 
105.1 was the 7th best QB Rating in 2020.
107.9 is the 7th best QB Rating so far in 2021.

It's why more and more (doubly so now with a 17th game) I am ignoring a lot of stats. Like Burrow's 89.8 QB Rating last year and 65.3% completion? That SOUNDS quite good... but then you realize that's 3% below average QB Rating, and 4% above average completion% for 2020. 

The Adjusted Passing numbers are a whole lot more useful. Now I know his 107.9 QB Rating is 16% above average this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Early days but the ball’s still getting spread around evenly. I’m sure Tee and Tyler will have some big games mixed amongst them so pretty confident their numbers will still be good by seasons end.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 11:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep, but other than Gronk or Edelman, most receivers were low draft picks and/or didn't stick around for a second contract.
So depending on if Higgins and/or Boyd wants more opportunities in an offense, they might look to play elsewhere after their current contract.
Again, it's not something that matters for 2022 or 2023 since they are both under contract, but the Bengals might need to look for another receiver (or two) for 2024.

I agree, we have a really nice set of our top 3 receivers.  However, if one of them were to go down on a prolonged injury, the passing strategy would certainly have to make some adjustments.  Who would fill the shoes of any of them?  Auden Tate is nice, but limited in his ceiling, when it comes to explosive plays.  Trenton Irwin?  He's tough as nails and can definitely hang onto the ball after hard contact, but his rep count with the 1st team just isn't there.

I would say that the Bengals likely spend mid round picks on WRs each of the next two drafts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 02:19 PM)Housh Wrote: This is my response. Tate went from playing a lot to barely playing and he did nothing to merit the decrease in PT. If anything this is the year he was projected to become that WR1 type guy.

I can't tell if this was sarcasm or not. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 02:19 PM)Housh Wrote: This is my response. Tate went from playing a lot to barely playing and he did nothing to merit the decrease in PT. If anything this is the year he was projected to become that WR1 type guy.

Uh what?
Reply/Quote

I hope you don’t get hit with a random drug test at work…

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I hope you don’t get hit with a random drug test at work…

Ok maybe not WR1 but Tate did look good in his extended mins last year lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We won't have to worry about it for a couple more seasons after this one, but I could see Higgins and/or Boyd choosing to play elsewhere once their contract is up in order to get more opportunities.

I wonder if y'all (almost about to say we because I'm becoming more and more of a Bengal fan each week... still a Saints/LSU fan at heart) could trade one of them for something else that the team could utilize more? Y'all are positively stacked at WR, all three of those guys are phenomenal. I love Boyd. Gotta be something y'all need more. 

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 02:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate averaged 4.4 yds of separation according
To Next Gen  stats vs the Lions.
So.the narrative that Auden cannot separate
Is untrue.

Tate was covered by edge rusher Trey Flowers on his lone target against the Lions.  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 10:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tate was covered by edge rusher Trey Flowers on his lone target against the Lions.  

Tate ran 7 routes downfield vs the Lions.
Reply/Quote