Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
I feel bad for Mixon
Mixon has Top 5 RB talent in the league. He's been behind a bad offensive line for 2 years. He makes great cuts to make yards when there are no holes there.

IF he was behind even average offensive line, he'd have a shot at being offensive player of the year.

These are his prime years too...and with Williams out and Boling potentially 'done'...we're going to have another bad line it looks like.
Reply/Quote
We all wanted the next Corey Dillon!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon has Top 5 RB talent in the league. He's been behind a bad offensive line for 2 years. He makes great cuts to make yards when there are no holes there.

IF he was behind even average offensive line, he'd have a shot at being offensive player of the year.

These are his prime years too...and with Williams out and Boling potentially 'done'...we're going to have another bad line it looks like.

I don't feel as bad for Mixon as I do Dalton and the receivers. The Bengals were actually good in the running game last year. It was the passing game that suffered.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hmmm... He plays a game for a living, and is compensated very well for doing so.

Feel bad for Joe Mixon? Pfft.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This is when it's important to note that he lead the AFC in Rushing last season while missing two games. It would be nice to see him behind a great line but let's not act like it's killed his career.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon has Top 5 RB talent in the league. He's been behind a bad offensive line for 2 years. He makes great cuts to make yards when there are no holes there.

Perhaps we will have an average line and the coaching staff can coach around it some ?
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't feel as bad for Mixon as I do Dalton and the receivers. The Bengals were actually good in the running game last year. It was the passing game that suffered.

Dalton and AJ accepted long term contracts here, so they were warned. 
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 02:48 PM)jason Wrote: Hmmm... He plays a game for a living, and is compensated very well for doing so.

Facts...

Only thing ill feel bad for is our W's and L's  if theres more Ls than Ws

Just be careful fellas don't let that sky fall on you Because we have a injured Rookie.... we've only dealt with this same scenario 5 years in a row now.
Reply/Quote
Why do we or any other NFL team pay big bucks for players other than Oline? To read most posts around here the only way anyone can be any good is if they have a stellar oline.

Deshaun Watson had a passer rating of 104 last year while getting sacked 63 times

Sequan Barkley had over 1300 yards at 5.0 YPC with a terrible oline
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Everybody loses players. Let's see how the new coaches react to it before getting out our hankies and having a good cry for Mixon! Good grief, we haven't even had training camp yet and some of you have given up already. Other teams will lose players as well and will adjust, just like the Bengals will.
Reply/Quote
I just hope Zac is able to make Marvin seem like a mediocre coach. We need a great coach since the last one, Sam Wyche.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We all wanted the next Corey Dillon!

How long until he tosses his pads in the stands and leaves for greener pastures? The FO’s penny pinching resulted in neither of the two most glaring concerns getting fixed this offseason. Maybe they’ll fix the line by the time Mixon’s contract is up?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 02:48 PM)jason Wrote: Hmmm... He plays a game for a living, and is compensated very well for doing so.

I have a hard time considering the NFL a game since the average American would likely be in the hospital or the morgue after playing it for a few seconds.  Then again, you may have implemented some more hardcore house-rules than we did when you played Monopoly growing up.

(06-28-2019, 08:51 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I just hope Zac is able to make Marvin seem like a mediocre coach. We need a great coach since  the last one, Sam Wyche.

I realize Marvin spent his entire HC career with the Mike Brown Bengals, but Marvin Lewis already is a mediocre coach, isn't he?  

(06-28-2019, 09:24 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: How long until he tosses his pads in the stands and leaves for greener pastures?  The FO’s penny pinching resulted in neither of the two most glaring concerns getting fixed this offseason.  Maybe they’ll fix the line by the time Mixon’s contract is up?

That sure seems like an extreme case, but Mixon has already shown that he is more than eager to say what is on his mind and suggest via social media what he wants the team to do.  If we don't pull ourselves out of the consecutive losing season downturn things could get ugly.  I mean, Mixon is super talented and the enthusiasm we have for him is legit, but Jeremy Hill also went from fan favorite to persona non grata over the span of a single season so the NFL moves quickly. 
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 11:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have a hard time considering the NFL a game since the average American would likely be in the hospital or the morgue after playing it for a few seconds.  Then again, you may have implemented some more hardcore house-rules than we did when you played Monopoly growing up.

I realize Marvin spent his entire HC career with the Mike Brown Bengals, but Marvin Lewis already is a mediocre coach, isn't he?  

That sure seems like an extreme case, but Mixon has already shown that he is more than eager to say what is on his mind and suggest via social media what he wants the team to do.  If we don't pull ourselves out of the consecutive losing season downturn things could get ugly.  I mean, Mixon is super talented and the enthusiasm we have for him is legit, but Jeremy Hill also went from fan favorite to persona non grata over the span of a single season so the NFL moves quickly. 

Joe is ripe for Bengalization.  It seems likely to happen.
Reply/Quote
The team has tried to address the Oline issues. Unfortunately injuries happen. That’s not saying (the team) couldn’t have done more, but let’s not pretend that they’ve ignored the issue entirely.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Let's not act like Left Tackle has a whole lot to do with the running game. Geeze. We have loaded up with Guard options to replace Redmond. This year will be better than last.... and last year he led the AFC.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 07:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Deshaun Watson had a passer rating of 104 last year while getting sacked 63 times

Deshaun Watson got sacked 63 times because he holds on to the ball too long, not becayuse his O-line is that bad.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Let's not act like Left Tackle has a whole lot to do with the running game. Geeze. We have loaded up with Guard options to replace Redmond. This year will be better than last.... and last year he led the AFC.

They didn't "load up".  They just got some guys.  John Miller got benched for his stellar efforts in Buffalo.  John Jerry couldn't make a team in 2018.  That's not a pair I'd use the word "loaded" to describe.  

The best hope for them is that at some point Jordan can do what Boling did in 2011 and show them that he can be a solid starter in year 1.  I'm not sure how likely this is, but it would be optimal.  Get a rookie in there for some NFL snaps and let him develop rather than running two bottom feeder vets out hoping a change of scenery was all they needed.  

This team needs long-term answers along the o-line.  Price is about all they have in that department now.   Hopefully Jonah, but who knows at this point?

Jerry and Miller are stopgaps, and ideally Hart is, too. The best possible thing that could happen for this group in 2019 is that both Jordan and Westerman surprise everyone and look like they belong as starters on a NFL line for the foreseeable future.  That's a big leap, but it's what they need right now.  I'm not sure what Westerman's hangup has been since he's been here, be it lateral movement or the mental aspect of the game, but he's going to have a chance for better or for worse.
Reply/Quote
I appreciate Mixon and think that Turner will find a way to make the players better and call blocking schemes to mask any weaknesses.

I also think that better play calling and an all-around more aggressive philosophy will make life easier on the line. We'll use speed to keep the defenses off-balance and attack the defense. Different formations will have the defense confused and Taylor will call plays to keep them guessing.

Use of the play-action (which I think Taylor will be big on) will also help Mixon and Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Quote:I have a hard time considering the NFL a game since the average American would likely be in the hospital or the morgue after playing it for a few seconds.  Then again, you may have implemented some more hardcore house-rules than we did when you played Monopoly growing up.
Nate, it's not exactly as if Mixon were shackled and forced to perform running back duties for absolutely zero compensation.. Sure, it's a physically demanding job, but so is hauling scrap metal for a living. I'm still waiting for someone to wring their hands and feel sorry for my 8+ years of "professional dumpster diving"..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote