Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
I feel bad for Mixon
(06-29-2019, 01:29 PM)samhain Wrote: They didn't "load up".  They just got some guys.  John Miller got benched for his stellar efforts in Buffalo.  John Jerry couldn't make a team in 2018.  That's not a pair I'd use the word "loaded" to describe.  

The best hope for them is that at some point Jordan can do what Boling did in 2011 and show them that he can be a solid starter in year 1.  I'm not sure how likely this is, but it would be optimal.  Get a rookie in there for some NFL snaps and let him develop rather than running two bottom feeder vets out hoping a change of scenery was all they needed.  

This team needs long-term answers along the o-line.  Price is about all they have in that department now.   Hopefully Jonah, but who knows at this point?

Jerry and Miller are stopgaps, and ideally Hart is, too. The best possible thing that could happen for this group in 2019 is that both Jordan and Westerman surprise everyone and look like they belong as starters on a NFL line for the foreseeable future.  That's a big leap, but it's what they need right now.  I'm not sure what Westerman's hangup has been since he's been here, be it lateral movement or the mental aspect of the game, but he's going to have a chance for better or for worse.

Agree with that all. I seem to remember Boling struggling early in his career.

Price was pretty bad too last year. Glenn was mostly below average.

IF Boling is indeed done...we don't have a single lineman on the roster that I would consider average.

We have a really bad line...AGAIN.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 01:29 PM)samhain Wrote: They didn't "load up".  They just got some guys.  John Miller got benched for his stellar efforts in Buffalo.  John Jerry couldn't make a team in 2018.  That's not a pair I'd use the word "loaded" to describe.  

The best hope for them is that at some point Jordan can do what Boling did in 2011 and show them that he can be a solid starter in year 1.  I'm not sure how likely this is, but it would be optimal.  Get a rookie in there for some NFL snaps and let him develop rather than running two bottom feeder vets out hoping a change of scenery was all they needed.  

This team needs long-term answers along the o-line.  Price is about all they have in that department now.   Hopefully Jonah, but who knows at this point?

Jerry and Miller are stopgaps, and ideally Hart is, too. The best possible thing that could happen for this group in 2019 is that both Jordan and Westerman surprise everyone and look like they belong as starters on a NFL line for the foreseeable future.  That's a big leap, but it's what they need right now.  I'm not sure what Westerman's hangup has been since he's been here, be it lateral movement or the mental aspect of the game, but he's going to have a chance for better or for worse.

Load up, got some guys, whatever you want to call it. But last year we had the option of Westerman or Redmond. This year we have the option of those two, plus Jerry, Jordan, Miller and a couple of others. My point being, there is plenty of opportunity for one of them to take the starting job away from Redmond. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Deshaun Watson got sacked 63 times because he holds on to the ball too long, not becayuse his O-line is that bad.

You would think Jonah Williams would come on here or somewhere and say something positive to all of us fans,after all we are him pay check somewhat and instead the dude is hiding behind the nfl rules and such.He could pull a President Trump and go to twitter and give us a shoutout.I am losing my ability to care anything about these multi millionaires when they really do not give a sh----t about any of us and yet we work all week,save enough to make it to a game and all that and yell our ass--off for a win and then drive another 100 miles home only to work at a job you hate,and go back the next week and do it again.Do any of you really care if these spoiled players with the best food,health care,best rides and best homes to live in with all the toys really give a big crap about any of us?????Its just a huge scam folks and we are the idiots. :paul:
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 05:17 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: You would think Jonah Williams would come on here or somewhere and say something positive to all of us fans,after all we are him pay check somewhat and instead the dude is hiding behind the nfl rules and such.He could pull a President Trump and go to twitter and give us a shoutout.I am losing my ability to care anything about these multi millionaires when they really do not give a sh----t about any of us and yet we work all week,save enough to make it to a game and all that and yell our ass--off for a win and then drive another 100 miles home only to work at a job you hate,and go back the next week and do it again.Do any of you really care if these spoiled players with the best food,health care,best rides and best homes to live in with all the toys really give a big crap about any of us?????Its just a huge scam folks and we are the idiots. :paul:

No one is forcing you to be here or at PBS.....
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 05:17 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: You would think Jonah Williams would come on here or somewhere and say something positive to all of us fans,after all we are him pay check somewhat and instead the dude is hiding behind the nfl rules and such.He could pull a President Trump and go to twitter and give us a shoutout.I am losing my ability to care anything about these multi millionaires when they really do not give a sh----t about any of us and yet we work all week,save enough to make it to a game and all that and yell our ass--off for a win and then drive another 100 miles home only to work at a job you hate,and go back the next week and do it again.Do any of you really care if these spoiled players with the best food,health care,best rides and best homes to live in with all the toys really give a big crap about any of us?????Its just a huge scam folks and we are the idiots. :paul:

One guy gets hurt and everyone loses their mind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2019, 10:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No one is forcing you to be here or at PBS.....

(06-30-2019, 01:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: One guy gets hurt and everyone loses their mind.

Relax, he is just trolling.  

Note the Trump reference. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Deshaun Watson got sacked 63 times because he holds on to the ball too long, not becayuse his O-line is that bad.

Dude got sacked 6 times or more in 4 games. His Oline was terrible at Pass Protection. But maybe they wouldn't have drafted 2 olinemen in the first 2 rounds if you were in the war room and explained why Watson was sacked so much. You could have explained how it was because of Watson and maybe they would have went QB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 05:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton and AJ accepted long term contracts here, so they were warned. 

True but that was back when the OL had Whitworth and Zeitler. Not sure either one thought the Bengals' OL would decline like it did.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 09:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: True but that was back when the OL had Whitworth and Zeitler. Not sure either one thought the Bengals' OL would decline like it did.

QB and WR stay long term and the o line departs in free agency....again.  I guess Dalton figured if he took a more team friendly deal than Palmer did that MB would pay the o line.  Whoops.  
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2019, 01:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: One guy gets hurt and everyone loses their mind.

As long as Boling is out there, it's still a better OL than the team that went 6-10 last year but started out 4-1.
I don't think people should really expect this team, even without Jonah Williams, as a team worse than 6-10.
I may change that stance depending on whether Boling is a starter or not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 10:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: QB and WR stay long term and the o line departs in free agency....again.  I guess Dalton figured if he took a more team friendly deal than Palmer did that MB would pay the o line.  Whoops.  

This. Right. Here.

....and yet, fans hate on Dalton for staying like they hated on Palmer for leaving.  Seems like maybe some folks got beat out at QB in pee wee league or something and like to take out their frustrations on Bengals QBs.....er something..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 10:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: QB and WR stay long term and the o line departs in free agency....again. 

Again?

WTF?

Willie Anderson was here 12 years.  Whitworth for 11.  Bobbie Williams was here until he was 35 (8 years with Bengals).  Levi Jones only played 7 years for the Bengals but he was under contract for 2 more years when he wore out.  All of those O-linemen were here as long or longer than any recent QB or WR.  Zeitler is the only good O-lineman in the last decade who did not get a second contract from the Bengals and it was because the Browns over paid to get him.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again?

WTF?

Willie Anderson was here 12 years.  Whitworth for 11.  Bobbie Williams was here until he was 35 (8 years with Bengals).  Levi Jones only played 7 years for the Bengals but he was under contract for 2 more years when he wore out.  All of those O-linemen were here as long or longer than any recent QB or WR.  Zeitler is the only good O-lineman in the last decade who did not get a second contract from the Bengals and it was because the Browns over paid to get him.

It wasn't worded precisely......but what he meant was the oline was good, wasn't replaced adequately soon enough, got the QBs pummeled for a few seasons.  It's the same thing that happened at the end of Palmer's tenure, and it's happened again. Some retired, got hurt, left in FA, etc.  Nate just summarized.....

That said, the team this time had a plan, and were actually proactive, they just failed miserably with their draft picks.  We're on round two of the line rebuild because of those horrible picks, jury is out on Price, and Williams is hurt. Our newish Gs aren't very good, Ced may have been the worst T I've seen in professional football, and Fisher couldn't beat him out. Shocked  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote