Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel big changes on the way.
I think this offseason will be like 2011 when we rebuilt our defense through free agency, except this year it will be the offense.

Now I will admit that we only signed one free agent that was more than a bargain basement project (Nate Clements 2yr $10.5 million), but that is still one more than usual. Then we signed two free agent LBs who were *gasp* less than 30 years old (27 yr old Manny Lawson 1 yr $3 million, 28 yr old Thomas Howard 2 yr $6.5 million). And even though we failed to sign Donte Whitner the fact that we made an offer that he almost accepted before taking 3 yr $12 million from the Fort Niners proves that we were TRYING.

That was also tyhe same offseason that we replaced our Offensive Coordinator Bob "Blue Eyes" Bratkowski with Jay Gruden.

Some people around here act like the Bengals never make these kind of moves, but this was just 8 years ago. And our offense last year was the worst it has been since 2008 when Palmer was out with injury.

I agree that the Bengals don't operate like this very often, but it has been a long time since we had an offense as bad as last year. So I think they will loosen the purse strings in free agency this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think this offseason will be like 2011 when we rebuilt our defense through free agency, except this year it will be the offense.

Now I will admit that we only signed one free agent that was more than a bargain basement project (Nate Clements 2yr $10.5 million), but that is still one more than usual.  Then we signed two free agent LBs who were *gasp* less than 30 years old (27 yr old Manny Lawson 1 yr $3 million, 28 yr old Thomas Howard 2 yr $6.5 million).  And even though we failed to sign Donte Whitner the fact that we made an offer that he almost accepted before taking 3 yr $12 million from the Fort Niners proves that we were TRYING.

That was also tyhe same offseason that we replaced our Offensive Coordinator Bob "Blue Eyes" Bratkowski with Jay Gruden.

Some people around here act like the Bengals never make these kind of moves, but this was just 8 years ago.  And our offense last year was the worst it has been since 2008 when Palmer was out with injury.

I agree that the Bengals don't operate like this very often, but it has been a long time since we had an offense as bad as last year.  So I think they will loosen the purse strings in free agency this year.

Sure hope you are right Fred, there was also that time we signed Odom which was a pretty big move at the time.

If we just added a top tier Lineman like Solder, Jensen or Norwell i would be pretty damn happy going into the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think this offseason will be like 2011 when we rebuilt our defense through free agency, except this year it will be the offense.

Now I will admit that we only signed one free agent that was more than a bargain basement project (Nate Clements 2yr $10.5 million), but that is still one more than usual.  Then we signed two free agent LBs who were *gasp* less than 30 years old (27 yr old Manny Lawson 1 yr $3 million, 28 yr old Thomas Howard 2 yr $6.5 million).  And even though we failed to sign Donte Whitner the fact that we made an offer that he almost accepted before taking 3 yr $12 million from the Fort Niners proves that we were TRYING.

Some people around here act like the Bengals never make these kind of moves, but this was just 8 years ago.  And our offense last year was the worst it has been since 2008 when Palmer was out with injury.

I agree that the Bengals don't operate like this very often, but it has been a long time since we had an offense as bad as last year.  So I think they will loosen the purse strings in free agency this year.

Wait, you can't make that prediction.  You have zero evidence to back it up.

Why would you just make up silly predictions like that, out of thin air?  What are your credentials to be making absurd predictions like that?  Are you a certifiable football prediction expert?  If so, you need to validate that claim. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I hope you're right.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. We'll extend Carlos and Geno, resign Bodine and a couple 3rd tier FA, proclaim we were active and call it a day....
Reply/Quote
The team tried to improve just 8 years ago...
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 08:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The team tried to improve just 8 years ago...

Lol! Yes, that was my first thought as well. Like, they play every year, dude!
Reply/Quote

Now I will admit that we only signed one free agent that was more than a bargain basement project (Nate Clements 2yr $10.5 million), but that is still one more than usual. Then we signed two free agent LBs who were *gasp* less than 30 years old (27 yr old Manny Lawson 1 yr $3 million, 28 yr old Thomas Howard 2 yr $6.5 million). And even though we failed to sign Donte Whitner the fact that we made an offer that he almost accepted before taking 3 yr $12 million from the Fort Niners proves that we were TRYING.

Some people around here act like the Bengals never make these kind of moves, but this was just 8 years ago. And our offense last year was the worst it has been since 2008 when Palmer was out with injury.

I agree that the Bengals don't operate like this very often, but it has been a long time since we had an offense as bad as last year. So I think they will loosen the purse strings in free agency this year.

Nice call back Fred. I totally forgot how much we did then. Have a feeling you will be right.
Reply/Quote
Big Changes?!?!

Synopsis of OP:

We tried improving defense 8 years ago by signing a couple mediocre free agents that didn't do much to improve the team. Because of that, look for front office to open the purse and perhaps sign a few mediocre players on offense.

I'm not sure if this was satire or serious. If serious, it's sad.
Reply/Quote

I feel so cheated.  I thought there was going to be some major announcement about ebenezer stepping down or hiring more scouts.  They made those changes 8 short years ago?  After 0 playoffs wins under ebenezer?  That's total commitment!

Or did you just pull all this outta thin air to prop Mikey boy up?
Reply/Quote
Mike only fired Bratkowski in an attempt to keep Carson.

We hope for this every year and every year we end up upset.

I do hope, but I have a feeling that we'll just hope to build through the draft.

If we signed a center (Jensen, hopefully), then I'd be happy as long as we have a good draft, but one or two linemen to go with Jensen would be nice.

I've learned not to get my hopes up on Mike suddenly changing the way he operates.
Reply/Quote
We shall see. Nothing is carved in stone and there is a history of complacency, but nothing says it'll always be so.
I could be hyper optimistic, but that typically leads to disappointment or I could be hyper pesimistic which leads to me finding a bunch of other things to do come football season.
I'm going to remain hyper let's wait and see.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I disagree,color me completely shocked if they sign anyone in the first couple weeks except their own guys.thats the bengals ritual. First to resign will be bodine I bet just like last year it was v Rey. The most I see them doing is a average linebacker like a Preston Brown or the lions linebacker and maybe if we are lucky some cheap o lineman.thats our bengals.
Reply/Quote
They tried 8 years ago. I think they'll try again this year.

Is this what we've become as a fanbase?

This makes me feel like Charlton Heston at the end of Planet of the Apes.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wait, you can't make that prediction.  You have zero evidence to back it up.

Why would you just make up silly predictions like that, out of thin air?  What are your credentials to be making absurd predictions like that?  Are you a certifiable football prediction expert?  If so, you need to validate that claim. Ninja

You have got that down as well as Shake did Hobson

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Sure hope so and have a jump on it already replacing OL coach and DC. Plus fresh off replacing OC too.

Now just need to get the hammer out and break that piggy bank and spend in FA for it to come true.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
That's a good try Fred.

This year has a couple of notable differences.

In 2011:

1. The team just shed expensive contracts from Palmer's retirement and the trade of Chad. The team had a ton of cap space.

2. The draft lined up perfectly for the Bengals that year. They had their choice of AJ Green or Julio Jones at WR and Dalton or Kapernick. Mike Brown wanted Kapernick, but the coaches talked him out of it, thank God.

This year:

1. The team has 3 expensive free agents of their own with expiring contracts next year. Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard and together these 3 would use the salary cap space, minus rookie contracts and the usual large cushion the team leaves itself. Each of these 3 players will command very large salaries next year if they hit the open market.

2. Mike Brown has been influencing the draft again, as witnessed by the Ross pick last year. This has never worked out well for the team.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 02:59 AM)BengalChris Wrote: That's a good try Fred.

This year has a couple of notable differences.

In 2011:

1. The team just shed expensive contracts from Palmer's retirement and the trade of Chad. The team had a ton of cap space.

2. The draft lined up perfectly for the Bengals that year. They had their choice of AJ Green or Julio Jones at WR and Dalton or Kapernick. Mike Brown wanted Kapernick, but the coaches talked him out of it, thank God.

This year:

1. The team has 3 expensive free agents of their own with expiring contracts next year. Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard and together these 3 would use the salary cap space, minus rookie contracts and the usual large cushion the team leaves itself. Each of these 3 players will command very large salaries next year if they hit the open market.

2. Mike Brown has been influencing the draft again, as witnessed by the Ross pick last year. This has never worked out well for the team.

Believe this the Gruden's doing 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I got a feeling that the late wins against Lions and Ravens made everyone within the organisation content, thinking we're actually close and it's only small pieces that are missing, and just a full offseason for Lazor, a bit of luck or whatever. And that nothing will be different this year than the years before.

There's already a new def coordinator plus offensively a whole new O-Line coach, so I guess that's pretty much that regarding big changes.
Reply/Quote
I have to side with Gramps on this one. Complacency has become issue with this team. One could argue the replacement of many coaches as a step in the right direction and far from complacent, but at the same time, when looking at player perspective I have to agree with hollodero in his point that winning the last 2 will have them believing only small changes need to be made.

Bottom line: it’s difficult to get hopes up that any significant FA moves will happen or that we will address our true needs through the draft. Even if we used the draft approach, the players wouldn’t see plating time. Hopes for any positive outcome for next year was crushed when ML was extended yet again.

Reply/Quote