Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel big changes on the way.
(02-23-2018, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The insertion of Geno Atkins into the starting lineup had far more to do with that bounce back. 

You also have to consider that Palmer threw 5 pick sixes in 2010, so maybe it's not fair to judge that defense on points allowed.

(02-23-2018, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We didn't refer to him as pick six Palmer, for nothin.  Ninja

Good Lord, you guys are right. There was nothing worse than seeing him throw a pick 6 and then going longer on a John Morrell! In either case, this dude wasn't thinking!

[Image: 2881-PalmerDog2_hed.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 03:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about the comp picks for AJ and Hill? 

They'll actually get a third round comp pick If they stay under $9M APY (or something like that). So that may make it hard to be "buyers" in FA.

They also need to lose more UFAs than they sign. Eifert also seem like comp pick candidates if the Bengals don't re-sign them.

Mike, is that you? I know it is.

You love those comp picks, but when are you going to make some good picks with them?

Chris

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 08:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The draft only affects free agency in terms of what spots the team thinks it can fill in the draft and, thus, let go of more expensive vets, albeit often better veterans. But, when the team drafts poorly and lets go of better vets go in favor of young guys, then the outlook isn't very good.

We've yet to replace Marvin Jones in terms of quality. Free agent bargain bin signing of Lafell was ok, but none of the draft picks have steps up either, and that includes a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.

Mike also uses free agency to replace more expensive outgoing free agents. Think Coles and TO replacing Housh, Odom replacing Justin Smith, Nate Clements replacing JJo, etc. All were cheaper than the player we lost.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 10:46 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Hilarious

It aint no fun when the Rabbit got the gun!

This was my exact post on FB today word for word stalker  Ninja  lol

JJ them Boss is going to sue us both.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
There will be big changes. They're gonna paint the seats at PBS. And they'll be able to do it on Sundays in the fall.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Well Fred, I hope your right and I'm wrong. Hobslob has already stated that the Bengals most likely won't make any big splashes in free agency and gave the 'ol company line as to why. I'm sure they will dumpster dive like they usually do, after any real talent has been picked over, I just hope they can get lucky and get some Oline help, we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.
Reply/Quote
We only made changes because we had a top 5 pick and our QB quit for the first time.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
In all Bengals history and message board history Fred is usually wrong and trolling hard.

His opinion is definitely an opinion but usually one that 98 percent of us all roll our eyes at. Stop comparing 2018 to stuff a decade ago.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 03:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want to take this thread off the rails, but I can absolutely tell someone their opinion is wrong.

What if you said that in your opinion 2 + 2 = 13?  Does that make it correct just because it is your opinion?

2+2 =13 is not an opinion, that is a math error.  When dealing with subjective measures, opinions will vary and although you may believe your opinion is the right one with all of your heart, it doesn't make someone else's opinion wrong....it makes it different than yours.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 06:52 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: We only made changes because we had a top 5 pick and our QB quit for the first time.

2nd time if you count Boomer Esiason's more diplomatic demands to be dealt after the 1991 season while we held the #6 overall pick. Anyways, Mike Brown said something to the tune of his goal being getting back to the 5 year one-and-done streak era. Yeah, that's the golden age of the Mike Brown Bengals, but we also live in a world where the Jacksonville Jaguars went from 3-13 to the AFC Championship game in one year.

So it goes.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We didn't refer to him as pick six Palmer, for nothin.  Ninja

I believe the proper title was Captain Pick Six or CP9-CP6.and though some people will disagree I believe that some of those pick 6's were intentional . A few of them seemed to be impossible to have been accidental .
Then again nobody ever accused me of not indulging in conspiracy theorieizing..  There really are  conspiracies and there really theories. Using both in the same sentence doesn't necessarily make them false. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 01:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: I believe the proper title was Captain Pick Six or CP9-CP6.and though some people will disagree I believe that some of those pick 6's were intentional . A few of them seemed to be impossible to have been accidental .

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 03:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about the comp picks for AJ and Hill? 

They'll actually get a third round comp pick If they stay under $9M APY (or something like that). So that may make it hard to be "buyers" in FA.

They also need to lose more UFAs than they sign. Eifert also seem like comp pick candidates if the Bengals don't re-sign them.

Those comp picks won't be available until next year. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 09:23 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Those comp picks won't be available until next year. 

True, and not like they would be of much benefit this year.  With the 4 additional picks, the Bengals already have 11 draft picks.  

Personally, I don't see them picking 11 players capable of making the team.  What I would like to see, is for them to package some of those picks to trade for picks that will benefit immediately, in real time, during the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 10:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike also uses free agency to replace more expensive outgoing free agents. Think Coles and TO replacing Housh, Odom replacing Justin Smith, Nate Clements replacing JJo, etc. All were cheaper than the player we lost.

The operative word being cheaper.

Could count LaFell for the departing Marvin Jones.

We've also had a parade of free agent LBs on 1 year deals who don't seem to fit the system over the past few years.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 09:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, and not like they would be of much benefit this year.  With the 4 additional picks, the Bengals already have 11 draft picks.  

Personally, I don't see them picking 11 players capable of making the team.  What I would like to see, is for them to package some of those picks to trade for picks that will benefit immediately, in real time, during the draft.

That just makes way too much sense for Mike Brown to do and even if he did do something like that, he would probably trade our 7th round comp picks to move up earlier in the 7th round and get a guy they could have signed as an undrafted free agent. 
Reply/Quote
I think that there is very little chance of change coming outside FA. The message is already out from the mothership. Expectations are being lowered.

I think they'll let Eifert walk and hope that they can squeeze compensatory picks (in 2019) out of him and McCarron. You can't have more FAs come in than go out if you're dead set on playing the comp pick game, so they'll likely base what they do on that. This factor makes it an even better decision let Bodine leave and have another outgoing (and awful) FA, but apparently they love the guy.

Between that and the prioritization of the Atkins/Dunlap extensions, I don't see a serious foray into FA in the cards.

The team will sell the staff changes as the only thing the team needs to get better. They will tell fans that they think they are close to being a very good team, and that the core is in place. They'll also talk about having 11 draft picks and how expensive it will be to sign them, let alone find spaces on the roster for outside FAs with all the rookies coming in.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 11:18 AM)samhain Wrote: I think that there is very little chance of change coming outside FA.  The message is already out from the mothership.  Expectations are being lowered.

I think they'll let Eifert walk and hope that they can squeeze compensatory picks (in 2019) out of him and McCarron.  You can't have more FAs come in than go out if you're dead set on playing the comp pick game, so they'll likely base what they do on that.  This factor makes it an even better decision let Bodine leave and have another outgoing (and awful) FA, but apparently they love the guy.  

Between that and the prioritization of the Atkins/Dunlap extensions, I don't see a serious foray into FA in the cards.  

The team will sell the staff changes as the only thing the team needs to get better.  They will tell fans that they think they are close to being a very good team, and that the core is in place.  They'll also talk about having 11 draft picks and how expensive it will be to sign them, let alone find spaces on the roster for outside FAs with all the rookies coming in.

Leonard Leap gave the list of nobodies that were the Bengals comp picks and to say the list is underwhelming would be like saying Mike Brown is doing an underwhelming job at GM.

Bengals fans do not get excited about comp picks anymore. I wish they would just concentrate on resigning the players that make our team better instead of stupid extra picks that we waste anyway.

I swear, if they asked Mike Brown and Tobin " Hey guys we are going to do a hypothetical World War II draft and you can pick the countries that you think will help you the most"  they would have picked Haiti , Paraguay and Latvia because they like its potential.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 12:31 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I swear, if they asked Mike Brown and Tobin " Hey guys we are going to do a hypothetical World War II draft and you can pick the countries that you think will help you the most"  they would have picked Haiti , Paraguay and Latvia because they like its potential.

Yep!  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 09:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, and not like they would be of much benefit this year.  With the 4 additional picks, the Bengals already have 11 draft picks.  

Now that Piano Man is gone we hopefully don’t have to worry about garbage late round picks on lineman. Everyone remembers the wonderful contributions that guys like Otis Hudson, Reggie Stephens, Tanner Hawkinson, and Eric Ghiuchuc made, right?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote