Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel big changes on the way.
(02-25-2018, 12:31 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Leonard Leap gave the list of nobodies that were the Bengals comp picks and to say the list is underwhelming would be like saying Mike Brown is doing an underwhelming job at GM.

Bengals fans do not get excited about comp picks anymore. I wish they would just concentrate on resigning the players that make our team better instead of stupid extra picks that we waste anyway.

I swear, if they asked Mike Brown and Tobin " Hey guys we are going to do a hypothetical World War II draft and you can pick the countries that you think will help you the most"  they would have picked Haiti , Paraguay and Latvia because they like its potential.

Those countries also lack leverage, so they would come on board for far less than market value. That’s a win in the Brown’s world. Mike Brown’s GM career is the WWII equivalent of the French Army.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 06:34 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Now that Piano Man is gone we hopefully don’t have to worry about garbage late round picks on lineman.  Everyone remembers the wonderful contributions that guys like Otis Hudson, Reggie Stephens, Tanner Hawkinson, and Eric Ghiuchuc made, right?

Hey man, you leave our Will Ferrell look alike alone.   He was going to be the ultimate Swiss Army Knife, jack off all trades type of lineman evah!!   Mellow

Edit: What's really ironic, is that I can remember reading lot's of supportive posts for all of those guys listed. Excpept Ghiuchuc, he always sucked..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If I had to guess what the Bengals will do this offseason ?

1. Resign Bodine then draft a center in round 6 or later center to " compete" with Bodine. Then Bodine will beat the draft pick out for a starting spot because that guy will more then likely suck.
2. Resign Andre Smith to another 1 year deal and that will more than likely be it

My expectations are low but if I had to be "realistic as sad as this is" I'd rather them sign some 1st round busts like Jonathan Cooper and Greg Robinson to one years deals as reclamation projects over guys like Bobby Hart and maybe hope they workout ? It's something the Bengals have done many times before, bringing in former 1st round picks and trying to rehab them.
I would also see if Cody Glenn is still available for a trade before the draft. The free agent tackle class is weak and if we get a veteran left tackle it could open things up at number 12. Maybe trading a 3 and a 5 for Glenn would work ? We would still have an extra 3rd round comp pick. Like last year we can't use every draft pick again because it will be hard to get them all on the roster. So maybe if we trade for Glenn and say Nelson the guard is still their at 12 we could draft him then use a 2nd to get a starting LB. O-line would look better and we could maximize all our assets vs just using all our draft picks and then cutting some of them because they all can't make the roster.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 06:38 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Those countries also lack leverage, so they would come on board for far less than market value.  That’s a win in the Brown’s world.  Mike Brown’s GM career is the WWII equivalent of the French Army.

Also, if he somehow would have managed to beat Hitler, he would have signed him and said that he just needs a chance.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 08:17 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I have to side with Gramps on this one. Complacency has become issue with this team. One could argue the replacement of many coaches as a step in the right direction and far from complacent, but at the same time, when looking at player perspective I have to agree with hollodero in his point that winning the last 2 will have them believing only small changes need to be made.

Bottom line: it’s difficult to get hopes up that any significant FA moves will happen or that we will address our true needs through the draft. Even if we used the draft approach, the players wouldn’t see plating time. Hopes for any positive outcome for next year was crushed when ML was extended yet again.
It was those last two wins that prompted Mikey to retain Marvy. The wins made other teams happy though.
I wish I could be optimistic like some of you, but I have been beaten down by history.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:34 PM)lone bengal Wrote: If I had to guess what the Bengals will do this offseason ?

1. Resign Bodine then draft a center in round 6 or later center to " compete" with Bodine.  Then Bodine will beat the draft pick out for a starting spot because that guy will more then likely suck.  
2. Resign Andre Smith to another 1 year deal and that will more than likely be it

My expectations are low but if I had to be "realistic  as sad as this is" I'd rather them sign some 1st round busts like Jonathan Cooper and Greg Robinson to one years deals as reclamation projects over guys like Bobby Hart and maybe hope they workout ?  It's something the Bengals have done many times before, bringing in former 1st round picks and trying to rehab them.
I would also see if Cody Glenn is still available for a trade before the draft.  The free agent tackle class is weak and if we get a veteran left tackle it could open things up at number 12.  Maybe trading a 3 and a 5 for Glenn would work ? We would still have an extra 3rd round comp pick.  Like last year we can't use every draft pick again because it will be hard to get them all on the roster.  So maybe if we trade for Glenn and say Nelson the guard is still their at 12 we could draft him then use a 2nd to get a starting LB. O-line would look better and we could maximize all our assets vs just using all our draft picks and then cutting some of them because they all can't make the roster.

And this is why I felt we needed to definitively part ways with Bodine (and yes I know he is not under contract). He is the worst center in football and even saying they want him back under ANY conditions is the same as saying they are uninterested in being a champion.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:34 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I would also see if Cody Glenn is still available for a trade before the draft.

Rep.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 07:01 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: In all Bengals history and message board history Fred is usually wrong and trolling hard.

His opinion is definitely an opinion but usually one that 98 percent of us all roll our eyes at. Stop comparing 2018 to stuff a decade ago.

Keep rolling those eyes Alley.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 10:15 PM)Derrick Wrote: It was those last two wins that prompted Mikey to retain Marvy. The wins made other teams happy though.
I wish I could be optimistic like some of you, but I have been beaten down by history.

If you think bout it, those last two wins are as much of a condemnation of Marvin as feathers in his cap because they beg the question, what the **** were you doing the rest of the year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Well after the Glenn trade Fred might be right.

Not even FA yet and we got a top tier OT to free up the Draft. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people around here act like the Bengals never make these kind of moves, but this was just 8 years ago.  And our offense last year was the worst it has been since 2008 when Palmer was out with injury.

Just 8 years ago? Are you listening to yourself? Thats 10 lifetimes ago in football years. Teams that win make changes in THAT offseason, not 8 years later. Give me a break. On top of that Paulie G left on his own accord. The new OC was promoted within with no work to find another replacement...yeah the Piano man left..but thats not going to make a difference enough to be a top team in the NFL...again give me a break.

"well I guess we have to do something different around here..."

Your thread should read, I Feel same old changes round here.. meaning minimal. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:39 PM)GodFather Wrote: Just 8 years ago? Are you listening to yourself? Thats 10 lifetimes ago in football years. Teams that win make changes in THAT offseason, not 8 years later. Give me a break. On top of that Paulie G left on his own accord. The new OC was promoted within with no work to find another replacement...yeah the Piano man left..but thats not going to make a difference enough to be a top team in the NFL...again give me a break.

"well I guess we have to do something different around here..."

Your thread should read, I Feel same old changes round here.. meaning minimal. 

You don't find the Cordy Glenn trade to be a great move Godfather?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:31 PM)McC Wrote: If you think bout it, those last two wins are as much of a condemnation of Marvin as feathers in his cap because they beg the question, what the **** were you doing the rest of the year?

A very valid question. Of course we have to wait until they take the field to see if that level of achievement/execution will become mainstream for this team. If it does, even with modest off-season success, this will be a fun team to watch going forward. And to the OP's point, all of the changes we've seen to date seem to validate having such a feeling.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You don't find the Cordy Glenn trade to be a great move Godfather?

I'll be honest with you buddy, if he wasn't so injured these past 2 seasons I would be. Why are the Bills unloading him if hes back to full health?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:52 PM)GodFather Wrote: I'll be honest with you buddy, if he wasn't so injured these past 2 seasons I would be. Why are the Bills unloading him if hes back to full health?

Read somewhere it had to do with cap space, plus they now need a QB.....so moving up in the draft was imperative.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:52 PM)GodFather Wrote: I'll be honest with you buddy, if he wasn't so injured these past 2 seasons I would be. Why are the Bills unloading him if hes back to full health?

Why is any free agent ever on the market?

Any player you can obtain in either free agency or trade is being let go by another team for some reason.

With Glenn I think the Bills are making a salary cap space to make a move on a free agent QB.
Reply/Quote

From what i heard the LT that replaced him when Glenn was injured played great and Glenn was being paid a lot of money.

Injuries are definately the concern with Glenn but when he is playing he is a great proven LT, major upgrade over any OT we have
and is instantly our best O-lineman. In the end good players get unloaded cause they are being paid tons of money and teams just
cannot afford them, see Suh getting cut by the Dolphins...
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Read somewhere it had to do with cap space, plus they now need a QB.....so moving up in the draft was imperative.

(03-13-2018, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is any free agent ever on the market?

Any player you can obtain in either free agency or trade is being let go by another team for some reason.

With Glenn I think the Bills are making a salary cap space to make a move on a free agent QB.

Yeah what these guys said too.
Reply/Quote

The guy who replaced him played well enough to make the 11 mil guy expendable.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

(03-13-2018, 01:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Read somewhere it had to do with cap space, plus they now need a QB.....so moving up in the draft was imperative.

(03-13-2018, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is any free agent ever on the market?

(03-13-2018, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: From what i heard the LT that replaced him when Glenn was injured played great and Glenn was being paid a lot of money.

Injuries are definately the concern with Glenn but when he is playing he is a great proven LT, major upgrade over any OT we have
and is instantly our best O-lineman. In the end good players get unloaded cause they are being paid tons of money and teams just
cannot afford them, see Suh getting cut by the Dolphins...

He was traded due to a perfect storm. I don't think it has anything to do with him not being an elite level tackle or any injury. Breaking it down:

- Glenn had a nagging injury and his backup, a cheaper 2nd round pick, surprised and played well enough to make Glenn's money NOT a great value. Couple that with...

- The Bills weren't sold on Taylor being their QB. He had 1 year left on his deal, so they traded him to the Browns. The Bills need a franchise QB. Which brings us to...

- This QB draft class has 4 QBs who are basically a coin flip between them. The Browns will take one, using Taylor as a stop gap. The Giants will take one. And the Jets may take one (if they can't sign Kousins - which they probably will). After that, the Cardinals need a new QB. The Cardinals draft at #15, ahead of the Bills as #21 & #22. Which brings us to....

- The Bills need to jump in front of the Cardinals to reboot their QB position. The Cardinals don't have the ammo to jump up themselves. Which brings us to....

- The Bengals have a pick where one of the above mentioned 4 QBs (or 5, if they like Jackson) will be available. The Bengals don't need a QB, they need O-linemen. Left Tackle, specifically. Which brings us to...

- NO Left Tackle in this draft was going to to grade out to be worth anywhere near the 12th pick. They just aren't as good as a 29 year old Cordy Glenn, who's a top 10 LT when healthy. Which brings us to....

- The Bengals had an option on Jones they weren't going to use, which frees up cap space to sign or trade for one and take on starting LT money while retaining Atkins and Dunlap. A must if they weren't going to be able to draft one. Which brings us to...

- The Bengals seeing that they can acquire a starting LT AND move back in the draft (rather than reach) and take a player who grades out more favorably at #21 who still fits their needs. Like, say, Hernandez the Guard, for example. Or a Safety, LB, etc. who would have been a reach and a waste at 12. Which (FINALLY) brings us to....

The eye of the perfect storm for the Bengals to acquire Glenn. I look at it like this: With the 12th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select: 29 year old Cordy Glenn AND a player to be named at the 21st pick.
Reply/Quote