Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got screwed
You can file for unemployment. I used to process and fight unemployment claims for companies throughout the US. And no, you don't have to be at a place for 6 months and other myths. Also, like in Ohio, is an at will state. Yeah, they can fire for any dumb thing, but it does not mean you won't qualify. You seem to have left your former employer in good faith. It might not be as much as you were making, but it helps. Good luck to ya brother!!!
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
There's gotta be something they don't want to admit going on. Even if you did have the issue they allege, places will generally make you aware of the issue and give you the opportunity to rectify it rather that just shitcanning you after 4 days.

I'm not someone who's generally a fan of massive corporations, but I have to admit being employed by one generally seems to be good when it comes to policies like this. There are relatively clear guidelines and a genuine effort to apply actions evenly for fear of lawsuits and accusations of discrimination. I hear people who work for smaller employers talk about stuff like you mention all the time and it seems like they can get away with damn near anything. We have HR, corporate compliance, and a zillion co-workers who know company policy inside out available to help anyone who may think they are getting a raw deal. It's not a utopia by any stretch, but it keeps people a bit more polite when it comes to abusing power.

Best of luck with it, Phil.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 12:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The owner's wife is in charge of HR and the office, 
(02-28-2020, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I would think that but it was the owner and one of his sons that interviewed me.

I know exactly what happened.  I have had to deal with the same thing before with a family business.  The owner's wife could not resist your animal magnetism.  The Boss could tell, so you had to go.

Life can be rough for us big stud daddies.

[Image: 616553f84b7fe70cd8c74b2ad75334283cc2c36a...9e9267.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know exactly what happened.  I have had to deal with the same thing before with a family business.  The owner's wife could not resist your animal magnetism.  The Boss could tell, so you had to go.

Life can be rough for us big stud daddies.

[Image: 616553f84b7fe70cd8c74b2ad75334283cc2c36a...9e9267.jpg]

You're probably right, fred. LOL

Update: I haven't been able to get my old job back HOWEVER, I had one interview with the same company for a different position and I have another interview for a 3rd different position next week as well. I also had an interview with Sheetz and I've got a follow up interview next week with the regional or district manager for Sheetz (this would pay about the same as the job I left). Got a phone interview with another financial center company after the Sheetz one. So, there's hope.

I did file for unemployment and I will get about 70% of my gross pay from UC but I presume child support will be taken from that. Plus, there's like a 4 week time before I get any actual money from UC. I'm also in the process of filing for food stamps, medicare, etc. So, if no job by the time all those kick in, my situation will be less unbearable. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
UPDATE: I finally got offered a job. It's a supervisory position with a new company (meaning I'm not going back to my old company) but the rate of pay is what I was making at my last job (not the one that screwed me over). I am going to check tomorrow with the talent acquisition person from my old job to see if the 2 positions I applied and interviewed for will offer me the job because I'd rather work for my old company, but I at least have a job.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Glad to hear that Phil. I hope everything works out for you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote