Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate the thought of planning around drafting a OL in the 1st.
Mike Brown is hopefully getting Burrow help in FA. A plan for Linderbaum or your guy to be there at 31 and start is a failed plan. I don't trust the team to draft a day one starter. These are the thoughts of planning on drafting a OL in the 1st.

If they pour the money into the OL with two quality starters and maybe a quality backup to compete with the youth, you'll have other needs. The plan is to never draft solely on need, but if the money goes to OL they probably have to use a high pick at CB and DT. If the right player falls so be it but I can't stand these offseason depth charts with a rookie pick listed as a starter.
Reply/Quote
Depends on who falls. Lots of good talent this year. And plenty are upgrades over our guys.
Reply/Quote
I'd feel much better seeing them spend money in FA and bring in help with a proven track record and thus be able to draft BPA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 01:18 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'd feel much better seeing them spend money in FA and bring in help with a proven track record and thus be able to draft BPA.

That's the issue!  I honestly think there are two things going on here: 

1. Media mock drafts have the Bengals taking an OL in the majority of mocks.  We were exposed naked on the largest stage like Janet and when the Bengals get brought up to even a casual football fan the response is always "oh they need OL help".  The one writing the mock article doesn't want to be out of tough and doesn't predict free agency. Our eyes see the majority of mocks and put too much stock into it. 

2. We don't believe we are going to fix it in FA.  We have drafted poorly at OL and think the team will continue to do so.  We forget that the plan to fix a historic run defense resulted in big money thrown at Reader, Bell, Waynes(though failed the intent was spend the money), and then they killed it again on D the next year.  The FO has used FA correctly outside of OL recently.  I really think the team will indeed fix the OL in free agency especially with what is at stake. 

So, the plan is to eliminate needs and have the luxury of taking talent.  The compromise is that I think we walk into the draft with one competition spot.  That could be Reiff for one more year with Carmen and Smith getting a shot to compete, or more likely those two competing at RG with hopefully a 3M vet signed before the draft.  That means there are 4 stable positions with the FA guard and center class.  

This is a year I really want to see the offseason plan that leads up to someone mocking a OL at 31 because I'd even make a trade (mid round) to not have to depend on a rookie to start like we did this year. 
Reply/Quote
Thing is the OL pickings around the end of Round 1 could be slim and if guys like Davonte Wyatt or Perrion Winfrey are hard to pass up.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If we can get a RG and RT in free agency then I think the draft will be wide open. My concern is RT might be harder to come by in free agency and if we resign Reiff than we depth still needs addressed. If it were me I'd probably try and resign Reiff and Spain for 1yr deals maybe 2yrs for Spain but that last play shows we need better. Then I'd try and sign one of the top RG on the market and if we can then get Moses on a 3 yr deal that is reasonable. I think this would make the draft wide open for best player available. So if Linderbaum is there or Zion Johnson I think you take them then I think were set.

Not sure how realistic this is but I know Moses was on a 1yr cheap deal and with him and Reiff we have solid depth. Wish Carman would've gotten more playing time so we had a better idea what we had in him but as of now he can't be counted on and if he happens to develop than all the better.
Reply/Quote
I agree, we are already drafting very low. I’m not opposed to drafting OL in one but it needs to be BPA after we fix the o line in FA. Bring in a starting OT and a C or G in FA. Then we can go into the draft and take BPA.

I’m not one who thinks we NEED 4 new starters this offseason. Williams and Spain make up 2/5ths of a decent o line. Fix two other spots and we can let our massive group of G’s including Carman fight it out or if we sign a G we can stick with Hopkins. Then if a good OL like the Iowa kid falls to us we can grab them but we don’t have to reach or panic if they don’t. Same with a good tackle. If one falls and can start right away we can kick Williams inside or shuffle someone else around.

Unfortunately the draft comes after FA so we need to fix this in FA and let the draft be bonus. If we have a clear OL need still on draft day someone will jump us for a worthwhile prospect if he starts to fall towards our pick.
Reply/Quote
At the moment this team needs to be in win now mode, so I do not like the idea of drafting OL unless they are a sure fire starter, and only Linderbaum has a shot at being there, and it may be a long shot. I feel like maybe Raimann has the potential to be a day 1 starter, but Penning will need some footwork and hand placement coaching. I feel like he’s a year away and that’s just too long right now.

If they can move there first round selection or make a package that includes an nfl caliber starting right tackle or guard, I think that would be an A+ move for the bengals. It’s time to win with Burrow and go all in right now.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:56 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: If we can get a RG and RT in free agency then I think the draft will be wide open. My concern is RT might be harder to come by in free agency and if we resign Reiff than we depth still needs addressed. If it were me I'd probably try and resign Reiff and Spain for 1yr deals maybe 2yrs for Spain but that last play shows we need better. Then I'd try and sign one of the top RG on the market and if we can then get Moses on a 3 yr deal that is reasonable. I think this would make the draft wide open for best player available. So if Linderbaum is there or Zion Johnson I think you take them then I think were set.

Not sure how realistic this is but I know Moses was on a 1yr cheap deal and with him and Reiff we have solid depth. Wish Carman would've gotten more playing time so we had a better idea what we had in him but as of now he can't be counted on and if he happens to develop than all the better.

Yeah depending on the asking price of the older tackles, the value may be at guard as many have mentioned.  I could see them re-signing Rieff for a year to start at RT while Smith and Carmen push him.  I'd only be okay with that with two upgrades to the interior OL.  Spain OR Hopkins are fine but not both.  Then RT comes back into play early in the draft. But again we shouldn't have to plan to have to take a starter in the 1st. 
Reply/Quote
Player(age)
Rookies: Carman (22), T Hiil (22), D'Ante Smith (23)
2nd Year: Adeniji(24), Prince(24)
3rd year: Williams(24), F Johnson(24)
Other: Trey Hopkins (29)

Trey Hopkins is the only player on his 2nd contract. Is adding more youth really the way to go here?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:42 AM)puddycat Wrote: Player(age)

Trey Hopkins is the only player on his 2nd contract. Is adding more youth really the way to go here?

Absolutely not. The Bengals need experienced players up front. These kids don’t have the right stuff.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:55 PM)phil413 Wrote: Mike Brown is hopefully getting Burrow help in FA. A plan for Linderbaum or your guy to be there at 31 and start is a failed plan. I don't trust the team to draft a day one starter. These are the thoughts of planning on drafting a OL in the 1st.

If they pour the money into the OL with two quality starters and maybe a quality backup to compete with the youth, you'll have other needs. The plan is to never draft solely on need, but if the money goes to OL they probably have to use a high pick at CB and DT. If the right player falls so be it but I can't stand these offseason depth charts with a rookie pick listed as a starter.

Hey listen y’all, I’m not able to start a new thread yet but I was referred to this area by a very reputable member. I am paying attention to everything you say in here as I have followed y’all all season long and came on here to wish you guys well for the playoff run. Here it goes:

Hey listen guys… I’m doing a mock franchise off-season over on a Ravens forum. If I could get some help here or even a person willing to co-own with me, I’d greatly appreciate that. What are your suggestions? Anyone in with me on co-owning your team??
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:55 PM)phil413 Wrote: Mike Brown is hopefully getting Burrow help in FA.  A plan for Linderbaum or your guy to be there at 31 and start is a failed plan.  I don't trust the team to draft a day one starter.  These are the thoughts of planning on drafting a OL in the 1st.

If they pour the money into the OL with two quality starters and maybe a quality backup to compete with the youth, you'll have other needs.  The plan is to never draft solely on need, but if the money goes to OL they probably have to use a high pick at CB and DT.  If the right player falls so be it but I can't stand these offseason depth charts with a rookie pick listed as a starter.

I agree, and I doubt the Bengals take that gamble.
It's too late in the draft to have a safe bet of who will be there.

Best option is to fill all the OL in FA and then consider drafting an OL if one lands where you feel comfortable taking.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We need to draft Oline that simple, yes add FA but we need a foundation also ..
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:00 PM)Sizzle Wrote: Hey listen y’all, I’m not able to start a new thread yet but I was referred to this area by a very reputable member. I am paying attention to everything you say in here as I have followed y’all all season long and came on here to wish you guys well for the playoff run. Here it goes:

Hey listen guys… I’m doing a mock franchise off-season over on a Ravens forum. If I could get some help here or even a person willing to co-own with me, I’d greatly appreciate that. What are your suggestions? Anyone in with me on co-owning your team??

What  exactly does a "co-owner' do? Personally I have little desire to join a Raven's Message Board, unless it means I can "red dot" Bart Scott; but I'm sure I and others in the forum would be glad to give advice.

For instance:

I'd reach out the the Texan's owner and see if he's willing to move back into the 1st rd (#31) for their #37 and a swap of 3rd rounders (68 for 95). This allows Houston to get a QB (Ritter, Howell, Willis...) and they leap frog Detroit and have a 5th year option on the pick

If you stand pat look for the best olineman-CB available. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think you try to resign reiff, and spain, go after 2 others in FA and also hope Carman develops into a reliable starter or very solid backup this year. Lets remember Carman was coming off a pretty significant injury, and didnt get many reps. Now he has a whole offseason of learning and development and getting stronger. I say if we do this, we can either trade our draft pick. Or choose someone we hope will be a dynamic defensive guy. You can absolutely never have to many solid defensive guys.

Also lets face it, next season our schedule will be tough, and everyone of those teams has a solid QB, and every one of them is going to go after Apple.
We're gonna need some help there

Also, a few guys have mentioned trading Boyd, Wonder what our first round pick and Boyd could get us? a 10-15 pick? is it worth that?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 01:35 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I think you try to resign reiff, and spain,  go after 2 others in FA and also hope Carman develops into a reliable starter or very solid backup this year.  Lets remember Carman was coming off a pretty significant injury, and didnt get many reps.  Now he has a whole offseason of learning and development and getting stronger.  I say if we do this, we can either trade our draft pick.  Or choose someone we hope will be a dynamic defensive guy.  You can absolutely never have to many solid defensive guys.  

Also lets face it,  next season our schedule will be tough, and everyone of those teams has a solid QB, and every one of them is going to go after Apple.  
We're gonna need some help there

Also, a few guys have mentioned trading Boyd,  Wonder what our first round pick and Boyd could get us?  a 10-15 pick?  is it worth that?

Are you looking to have Reiff and Spain both start, then get outside FAs for RG and C?
Or 1-2 of these guys being backups?

I'd hate to spend $7+ mill on a backup.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 08:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What  exactly does a "co-owner' do? Personally I have little desire to join a Raven's Message Board, unless it means I can "red dot" Bart Scott; but I'm sure I and others in the forum would be glad to give advice.

For instance:

I'd reach out the the Texan's owner and see if he's willing to move back into the 1st rd (#31) for their #37 and a swap of 3rd rounders (68 for 95). This allows Houston to get a QB (Ritter, Howell, Willis...) and they leap frog Detroit and have a 5th year option on the pick

If you stand pat look for the best olineman-CB available. 

A co owner would just help suggest moves/etc, wouldn’t necessarily have to join up on a Ravens forum. Thanks for the advice!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:42 AM)puddycat Wrote: Player(age)

Trey Hopkins is the only player on his 2nd contract.  Is adding more youth really the way to go here?

It's pretty crazy how the Bengals have no actual veteran backups.

Smith and Adeniji just aren't powerful enough (yet) to handle NFL DL.
Prince is your typical Ohio St OL who is much better run blocking than pass blocking.
Carman is so inconsistent, but he looks really good at times.

I don't know what to make of Trey Hill yet.
He didn't allow a sack on 210 offensive snaps in the regular season (117 pass block snaps), but he did have 6 penalties.
He actually was serviceable according to PFF - 65.3 pass block, 54.5 run block. His penalties on such few snaps brought his overall grade down to 53.3 though.

I'm honestly kind of shocked the Bengals basically exiled Fred Johnson.
I thought he'd have been the option at RT over Prince.
He was terrible at OG in 2020 but he's always seemed decent at OT.
2019 when he had limited OT snaps (146), he didn't allow a sack and only had 2 penalties.
This past year, he only allowed 1 sack and 0 penalties on 90 snaps.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
For what it's worth, I don't think the plan is to have a rookie O-lineman starting for the team this year.
Reply/Quote