Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a feeling
The closer the draft gets the more I have a feeling that the bengals FO isn’t going to draft how a lot of us think they will/should. Obviously it depends on how the first round goes, but I think we can all agree that there is going to be a pretty good run on QB’s ahead of our pick at 21. If that is to happen, that more than likely means at least one player that we never dreamt having a chance at will be available to us. Will it be a safety (James)? one of the DE’s (Davenport, Landry)? LB’s (edmunds, Evans, smith, Vander esch)? DT’s (Vea, Payne, Hurst)? TE’s (goedert, gesicki) And of course there is always tha chance of us selecting a CB, and like it or not, there will probably be at least one of the top guys there at 21. ( Jackson, Hughes, Alexander).

The needs are clear, center, tackle, guard. But I have this feeling that the FO will feel they can fill those spots with solid players without using early picks. So that got me to thinking a couple things, 1. if they adopt this strategy and go BPA early, who do they go with? and 2. Who could they target that can still potentially fix the Oline woes?

As for the answer to #1, who knows. One thing I know for sure is it would be hard to go wrong with many of those names.

But the answer to #2 is a little more concerning. I came up with a list of potentials to fill center, guard and tackle and I’m curious as to what people think of these guys. For center the one name that is jumping out to me is mason cole out of Michigan. He has been likened to Ryan Jenson and can potentially be had somewhere in the range of late 3rd or 4th.

For guard, I’m looking at Braden smith out of auburn, likened to Kevin Zeitler (remember him?)and can be had on day 2. Also Austin Corbett or Wyatt teller could be had at some point on day 2 as well.

And for tackle, jemarco jones could be a player. One draft scout on nfl.Com says he thinks he could end up better than mcglinchey.

So what does everyone think. Waitimg certainly opens up the draft early, but do you think this could solve our problems?

Reply/Quote
The team never seems to draft the way we have it laid out for them. I guess that is why they make the good money, and I report to my supervisor..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The team never seems to draft the way we have it laid out for them. I guess that is why they make the good money, and I report to my supervisor..

Agreed, but this year has seemed different because the major needs are so glaring. It seems so obvious what they should/would take. But call me crazy, I’m starting to think that neither picks 1 or 2 will be olineman.*

*this feeling is contingent on them not making any trades in rounds 1 or 2.

Reply/Quote
I agree that it won't pan out the way the fans want/expect. However, it almost hurts more when a top tier player (of any position) falls and gives you hope that your team will draft him and then they take someone else.

Last year nobody predicted that Jonathan Allen would drop so far and yet we took Ross.
In 2015 Bud Dupree was available and we took Cedric Ogbuehi
In 2012, probably the one that stands out the most to me, David DeCastro fell to pick 17... we took Dre Kirkpatrick and then he fell again to our pick at 21 and we traded down. We ended up getting Zeitler but DeCastro was a fan favorite and ranked higher on most boards.

*Ironically, Dupree and DeCastro both went to the Steelers.

NFL Draft = Expect the Unexpected.
Reply/Quote
I think you will be surprised.

Drafting at #21 means that the board will probably match the needs of the team. Generally speaking, the top OGs and Cs will come off the board in the late teens and early 20s. I don't think there is any way that they go something other than O-line UNLESS a top 10 player drops.
Reply/Quote
If I had to put money on it, CB is gonna be the pick in round 1 followed by c in rd2 and tackle in round 3
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 08:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The closer the draft gets the more I have a feeling that the bengals FO isn’t going to draft how a lot of us think they will/should. Obviously it depends on how the first round goes, but I think we can all agree that there is going to be a pretty good run on QB’s ahead of our pick at 21. If that is to happen, that more than likely means at least one player that we never dreamt having a chance at will be available to us. Will it be a safety (James)? one of the DE’s (Davenport, Landry)? LB’s (edmunds, Evans, smith, Vander esch)? DT’s (Vea, Payne, Hurst)? TE’s (goedert, gesicki) And of course there is always tha chance of us selecting a CB, and like it or not, there will probably be at least one of the top guys there at 21. ( Jackson, Hughes, Alexander).

The needs are clear, center, tackle, guard. But I have this feeling that the FO will feel they can fill those spots with solid players without using early picks. So that got me to thinking a couple things, 1. if they adopt this strategy and go BPA early, who do they go with? and 2. Who could they target that can still potentially fix the Oline woes?

As for the answer to #1, who knows. One thing I know for sure is it would be hard to go wrong with many of those names.

But the answer to #2 is a little more concerning. I came up with a list of potentials to fill center, guard and tackle and I’m curious as to what people think of these guys. For center the one name that is jumping out to me is mason cole out of Michigan. He has been likened to Ryan Jenson and can potentially be had somewhere in the range of late 3rd or 4th.

For guard, I’m looking at Braden smith out of auburn, likened to Kevin Zeitler (remember him?)and can be had on day 2. Also Austin Corbett or Wyatt teller could be had at some point on day 2 as well.

And for tackle, jemarco jones could be a player. One draft scout on nfl.Com says he thinks he could end up better than mcglinchey.

So what does everyone think. Waitimg certainly opens up the draft early, but do you think this could solve our problems?
Smith is my number 5 guard, but some have him As guard 1. And jones has top 5-7 left tackle upside if he can fix his issues.
Reply/Quote
If a BPA drops, such as James or Edmunds or Vita, I think it would be a good idea to draft them.

There has only been 3 times in the last 35 years that 3 centers went in the top 50 picks and this crop, while strong, is not monumental in any way in regards to history of the draft.

I expect at least one of Price, Ragnow or Daniels to be there at 46.

So if we draft James/Edmunds/Vita in the first and Price/Ragnow/Daniels in the second, that's a pretty strong first 2 rounds.
Then, if we draft an Orlando Brown or Jamarco Jones in the third round, you're looking at getting pretty good quality at 3 different positions in the first three rounds all while sticking to a BPA approach.

I'm not sure who will be there at 21, but as long as the Bengals don't significantly reach for a player, I have a feeling we'll be getting a good player there, regardless of what position they play.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:17 AM)Jpoore Wrote: If I had to put money on it, CB is gonna be the pick in round 1 followed by c in rd2 and tackle in round 3
I could definitely see that. And if we were to get Jackson or Hughes I don’t think I could complain too much, provided we still address the Oline needs.

I’m curious as to what you think of Mason Cole. I think he looks promising and if he’s targeted later (3-4) that opens up round 2 as well.
(04-09-2018, 08:28 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If a BPA drops, such as James or Edmunds or Vita, I think it would be a good idea to draft them.

There has only been 3 times in the last 35 years that 3 centers went in the top 50 picks and this crop, while strong, is not monumental in any way in regards to history of the draft.

I expect at least one of Price, Ragnow or Daniels to be there at 46.

So if we draft James/Edmunds/Vita in the first and Price/Ragnow/Daniels in the second, that's a pretty strong first 2 rounds.
Then, if we draft an Orlando Brown or Jamarco Jones in the third round, you're looking at getting pretty good quality at 3 different positions in the first three rounds all while sticking to a BPA approach.

I'm not sure who will be there at 21, but as long as the Bengals don't significantly reach for a player, I have a feeling we'll be getting a good player there, regardless of what position they play.

I think if Da’Ron Payne (he’s visiting PBS today) or Maurice Hurst would be to drop you have to pounce on them as well. But I think you’re right, unless the pick is totally botched we will be grabbing someone with great potential.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 08:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The closer the draft gets the more I have a feeling that the bengals FO isn’t going to draft how a lot of us think they will/should. Obviously it depends on how the first round goes, but I think we can all agree that there is going to be a pretty good run on QB’s ahead of our pick at 21. If that is to happen, that more than likely  means at least one player that we never dreamt having a chance at will be available to us. Will it be a safety (James)? one of the DE’s (Davenport, Landry)? LB’s (edmunds, Evans, smith, Vander esch)? DT’s (Vea, Payne, Hurst)? TE’s (goedert, gesicki) And of course there is always tha chance of us selecting a CB, and like it or not, there will probably be at least one of the top guys there at 21. ( Jackson, Hughes, Alexander).

I've considered players in the first round at CB, OT, C, OG, TE, LB, and DT since I started thinking of mocks for 2018 draft. They'd have to take a QB, S, DE, or WR to surprise me at this point. I think CB or TE would aggravate the most fans. Maybe DT too because most fans don't think a first-round pick is worth spending on a 4-3 NT and a 3T would just be coming in on nickel situations and spelling Geno. Drafting CB or TE would be an indication they feel they don't need immediate help with the starters they now have and can draft for the future with Dennard, Shaw, Eifert, Kroft, and Uzomah all expected to hit FA in 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
DT is about the one position that would bother me. Mainly because I think Baker in a platoon with Glasgow and Billing next to Geno gives us what we need to make it through this year. Unless it's value in the 2nd then I am not going to be a happy camper. Other than that I can see an argument for almost any position.
Reply/Quote
We are def in for a surprise. We already sense we won't grab a Center at 21 and I'm thinking we may not even grab one at 46. Last draft we were desperate for ends and we waited until the 3rd/4th round. I'm thinking the Oline fixes will be the big surprise as they may come in the 3rd round or later.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The team never seems to draft the way we have it laid out for them.  I guess that is why they make the good money, and I report to my supervisor..

On the basis of the 2015 draft I'm thinking that you need a career change and the Bengals need to hire you.

Or we could just consider the boards as a consulting firm.  Think Hobson and Owczarski could put in a good word for us?  They could just conference us in.   When the pick comes up we can do a little group think (on mute for the Bengals of course) and give them the pick.

They would pay us strictly on commission with an option for reimbursement after 4 years so the pick has a chance to play...
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:17 AM)Jpoore Wrote: If I had to put money on it, CB is gonna be the pick in round 1 followed by c in rd2 and tackle in round 3

If Vea, Smith and Payne are gone it will either be Hurst or a CB.   I see tackle in the 2nd and center in the 3rd.

I think we'll get a decent player in the first.   And really should get a decent player in the 2nd.   But I do not see us getting one of the centers or guards we want. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 08:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The closer the draft gets the more I have a feeling that the bengals FO isn’t going to draft how a lot of us think they will/should. Obviously it depends on how the first round goes, but I think we can all agree that there is going to be a pretty good run on QB’s ahead of our pick at 21. If that is to happen, that more than likely  means at least one player that we never dreamt having a chance at will be available to us. Will it be a safety (James)? one of the DE’s (Davenport, Landry)? LB’s (edmunds, Evans, smith, Vander esch)? DT’s (Vea, Payne, Hurst)? TE’s (goedert, gesicki) And of course there is always tha chance of us selecting a CB, and like it or not, there will probably be at least one of the top guys there at 21. ( Jackson, Hughes, Alexander).

If Derwin James or Trumaine Edmunds falls to us i could see us taking one of them. Also could take one of those CB's as we
all know is always a chance in the 1st with us as Hobspin says can never have enough Corners. I am doubting a DT more and
more after the Baker signing and with Billings and Glasgow in the wings. DE is definately a possibility with Landry or Davenport.

Then go with either Price or Ragnow in the 2nd, trade up for one of them if we have to.

These are my feelings. Been forever since the 3 top Centers have been taken before pick 46. Could be the year though and i
don't want us to risk it. Mason Cole is alright but he is not near as physical as Ragnow or Price. I think Pollack would prefer one
of these guys over Cole.

Then get our RT in the 3rd with one of those two picks. Could see the Draft going like this early...

1st - Harold Landry DE
2nd - Billy Price C
3rd - Lorenzo Carter LB
3rd - Tyrell Crosby OT
Reply/Quote
The way I see it shaking out:
Rd 1 DB Josh Jackson
Rd 2 C Frank Ragnow
Rd 3 Edge Josh Sweat
Rd 3 LB Malik Jefferson
Rd 4 OT Orlando Brown
Rd 5 G Skyler Phillips
Rd 5 LB Shaquem Griffen
Rd 5 TE Mark Andrews
Rd 7 WR Daurice Fountain
Rd 7 WR Jaleel Scott
Rd 7 LB Azeem Victor

My Dream Mock haha

DL will have to be addressed next year. We still have a couple of young guys there we need to develop and give a chance to play, drafting a DT high, messes that whole dynamic up.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 04:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The way I see it shaking out:
Rd 1 DB Josh Jackson
Rd 2 C Frank Ragnow
Rd 3 Edge Josh Sweat
Rd 3 LB Malik Jefferson
Rd 4 OT Orlando Brown
Rd 5 G Skyler Phillips
Rd 5 LB Shaquem Griffen
Rd 5 TE Mark Andrews
Rd 7 WR Daurice Fountain
Rd 7 WR Jaleel Scott
Rd 7 LB Azeem Victor

My Dream Mock haha

DL will have to be addressed next year. We still have a couple of young guys there we need to develop and give a chance to play, drafting a DT high, messes that whole dynamic up.

That would be great if it fell that way, just doubt Jefferson, Andrews and Fountain fall that far specifically.
Reply/Quote