Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have changed my mind.
This is something that I think I heard someone suggest a year or two ago, but I dismissed it as crazy talk. However after we gave Marvin a new contract after last season I no longer consider anything around here as impossible.

So what are the chances that we bring in a new head coach and keep Marvin as defensive coordinator?

They would not promote Hue over Marvin, but a new head coach may actually value Marvin as a DC.

Marvin may actually be worn out having to deal with the BS that goes along with being head coach of Mike Brown's team, but as DC he could just concentrate on coaching and leave all the publicity, face of the franchise work to some one new.

I still do not think it will happen, but I think it is at least a possibility.
Reply/Quote
This team needs to rid themselves of the stench they've become a part of and that includes Lewis..He's clueless on the sideline and that has nothing to do with Mike Brown and unless he purposely has such an angst against him that Lewis would call a deep hand-off under a zone-blocking scheme with a terrible OL on 4th and inches......OH WAIT....

Get a young, fresh, hungry mind out there with an IQ and someone that also knows how to deal with the media...
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 02:31 PM)higgy100 Wrote: This team needs to rid themselves of the stench they've become a part of and that includes Lewis..He's clueless on the sideline and that has nothing to do with Mike Brown and unless he purposely has such an angst against him that Lewis would call a deep hand-off under a zone-blocking scheme with a terrible OL on 4th and inches......OH WAIT....

Get a young, fresh, hungry mind out there with an IQ and someone that also knows how to deal with the media...

Since he took over the D, we've given up 348 yards on average, one under 300 yards (288) and only one over 400 (403).

Not at all saying this is the direction we should go in, but that's astounding, given the injuries and the horridness of the previous 9 games,

The only issue is that we aren't generating a lot of turnovers, but we're doing much better on third down and limiting opportunities.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It may very well be that Coach Lewis needs to part ways with the Bengals as badly as they need to part ways with him.

Perhaps Coach Lewis will finally decide he's been here long enough and he'll opt to pursue other ventures.

It seems that both sides are in desperate need of a fresh start.
Reply/Quote
NO NO NO..And, besides, no HC would ever stay on in a capacity like that after leaving the ranks as a HC. Just get rid of the guy.He got this team to a certain level and that's all he could do. Kudos for that but he's simply a total failure raising this organization to the next step.

Is it so GD much to win a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
The defense has improved since he took over little by little by the end of the year he should be back into the swing of things calling the defense. I don't have a problem with him being the DC it would save us from finding one more spot to fill. Last year we had so many new guys coming in at least one was bound to fail. I am not sure Marvin would be ok with just being the DC or if we can as a team find a way for it to work with 3 ex head coaches on the same team and a new one at the helm. The new guy will most likely want to bring his people in.

But lets just say it worked out all the stars fell into line. If the new guy struggles how long will it take before they put giggles back in the HC seat. How long before the fans regret having Marvin step down from the HC spot. Do we find ourselves right back here where we started in a year or two.
Reply/Quote
I recently had a C. difficile bacterial infection in my colon for over a month. It is nasty nasty stuff that is very hard to get rid off and required a 10 day stay in the hospital while they pumped me full of antibiotics, fluids, and morphine all while i continued to - well i'll spare you those details.

It reminded me a lot of Marvin.

Reply/Quote
Honestly we need a new voice overall and if Marvin is there then he will always be said voice. This is also coming from his biggest fan on the board.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 02:31 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He's clueless on the sideline and that has nothing to do with Mike Brown and unless he purposely has such an angst against him that Lewis would call a deep hand-off under a zone-blocking scheme with a terrible OL on 4th and inches......OH WAIT....

OH WAIT.  .  . That call was on Lazor, not Lewis.  

What criticism to you have of the defensive calls from Sunday?
Reply/Quote
I think Marv is a good defensive coach and I do think the defence has improved over the last few weeks but I don't think any self respecting HC would come in with Marv still on the coaching staff at any level
Reply/Quote
In a hypothetical world where I'm Mike Brown, I hire Harbaugh/LeFleur/McCarthy/whoever, and he looks me straight in the face and says, "I want to keep Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator",...I wouldn't tell him no.  That's why you hire a HC - to make high quality executive decisions. 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: OH WAIT.  .  . That call was on Lazor, not Lewis.  

What criticism to you have of the defensive calls from Sunday?

Did you see little Marvin right before the call talking into his headset either calling the play or reaffirming it or did you have a potty break at that time? Other than this team being totally clueless to start the game in a soccer stadium that holds 35K, against a team clearly looking forward to their match-up with KC, I have very little criticism with their D yesterday. First game in 5 plus weeks they showed enthusiasm and energy but in your world Marvin's off the hook for that responsibility.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 03:32 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Did you see little Marvin right before the call talking into his headset either calling the play or reaffirming it or did you have a potty break at that time?

I see Marvin talking on the headset all the time, and just like you I have no idea what he is saying.

You have no clue if he either called the play or confirmed the play call.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 03:29 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I don't think any self respecting HC would come in with Mike Brown still owning the team.

FTFY
Reply/Quote
I think things are just too stale and it all needs to be blown up and started over.
Reply/Quote
I do not think Lewis wants to stay with Brown at the helm. I think he is worn out. Plus, a new Head Coach will want to bring in new blood. I thought the defense has improved each week under Lewis given the injuries. At least players are tackling better.

Nickerson has to go. I mean really. He is a liability.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I want Marvin GONE as HC as bad as anyone..... that said, we could do a whole lot worse at DC.... Marvin has this beat to hell Defense looking better and better each week. He's doing a lot with nothing... give him a fresh Defense with healthy starters, I think he could be very good again.
Reply/Quote
Along those same lines I would like to keep Hue as OC. Andy did well with him here.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 04:21 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Along those same lines I would like to keep Hue as OC. Andy did well with him here.

If something as bizarre as the head coach stepping back into a coordinator's role was possible, I could see just this scenario happening.
Reply/Quote
And I just have to say that I agree that Lewis' defense has steadily improved.   They did a good job against a good offense yesterday.
Reply/Quote