Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have changed my mind.
Always hard for a new guy to come in with the old coach still there because there is a "his guys and my guys" issue. It's one of the reason most the staff gets cleaned out when new coaches come in.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is something that I think I heard someone suggest a year or two ago, but I dismissed it as crazy talk.  However after we gave Marvin a new contract after last season I no longer consider anything around here as impossible.

So what are the chances that we bring in a new head coach and keep Marvin as defensive coordinator?

They would not promote Hue over Marvin, but a new head coach may actually value Marvin as a DC.

Marvin may actually be worn out having to deal with the BS that goes along with being head coach of Mike Brown's team, but as DC he could just concentrate on coaching and leave all the publicity, face of the franchise work to some one new.

I still do not think it will happen, but I think it is at least a possibility.

Do you think Marvin would want to reduce his role to DC?
Reply/Quote
Who knows what what the front office will do, but I see three possible scenarios playing out.

1.) Least likely: The Bengals clean house and hire an all new coaching staff, possibly hire a G.M.

2.) Possible Scenario: Hue gets head coaching position, Marvin gets bumped upstairs to the front office maybe as G.M. or assistant G.M. under Mike Brown. Hey, it's a change!

3.) Most likely: Everything remains the same, maybe with a few small tweaks, but the Bengals roll out the ol' mounting injuries excuse and would like to see what Marvin and Hue can do with a "Healthy" Bengal team in 2019. Plus with the teams option to bring back Lewis next year, it would be the "Comfortable" thing to do.

....as to Marvin taking a demotion to become DC, I just don't see it Mr. Toast, but with this screwball organization anything is possible I guess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's not politically feasible, what with human nature and all. Presumably Marvin is human. So would be the new coach, as well.
Hope he does well inhis next endeavor, be it as a HC or DC. Won't be here though.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 03:08 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I recently had a C. difficile bacterial infection in my colon for over a month. It is nasty nasty stuff that is very hard to get rid off and required a 10 day stay in the hospital while they pumped me full of antibiotics, fluids, and morphine all while i continued to - well i'll spare you those details.

It reminded me a lot of Marvin.
The dreaded C dif..  My former step mother had that nasty stuff before she died and having C dif can make it nearly impossible if you're trying to find a new hospital or nursing facility to move the victim of C dif to .  Very communicable stuff nobody should ever want to contact.. 
You're kind of lucky to have survived it if you did .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I VERY strongly doubt Marvin would ever accept the reduced role on the Bengals staff from HC to DC.. I can't imagine a scenario in which he would accept the move.. In fact I don't recall any former long term HC accepting such a move. There may have been a few interim HC's who did it, but I'm pretty sure no long term HC's ever have and I doubt it'll ever happen.. That would be very perceived as a real slap in the face to Marvin and to anyone who ever supported him as the HC not to mention the villainification to Mike Brown's already villainous reputation .
You're really reaching there Fred. 

That said I think Marvin would be a great DC, but he'll never accept being just the DC for this team unless he was paid more money than any coach in the history of coaching at any level of any game ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There were a few glimpses on drives of the old Bengals defense that didn't show up all year. I'm still surprised scheme can make a labeled superstar invisible over and over, doesn't happen in any other sport.
Reply/Quote
I think it’s a bad idea for Marv to attempt to work under someone else here after being the head honcho for so long. If he wants to be a DC again I think it should be somewhere else for the good of the Bengals and for Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
NO

Marvin and the bulk of the staff need to go there's just to much stink on them. We badly need a fresh start !

Not that it will happen.
Reply/Quote
The D was pumped at the Chargers game, must of been the nice sunny weather. Other than that, the Squeelers will make the D who we really think they were.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:37 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The D was pumped at the Chargers game, must of been the nice sunny weather. Other than that, the Squeelers will make the D who we really think they were.

D was TERRIBLE to start the game as they gave up 14 points and 150 yards pretty much just in the 1st quarter. Finally, after getting their asses kicked continually and having what's left of any pride any of these players have after getting beat up on a daily basis like a weasel kid at the bus stop who finally gets sick of giving his lunch money away, not to mention LAC looking ahead just 4 days away with their game against KC, did this Bungles squad play with fire, emotion, and somewhat of an IQ above 50.
Reply/Quote
Noooo
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 10:46 AM)higgy100 Wrote: D was TERRIBLE to start the game as they gave up 14 points and 150 yards pretty much just in the 1st quarter.

Then Marvin made is in game adjustments and fixed the problem.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then Marvin made is in game adjustments and fixed the problem.

It is intriguing.   He's the only one that has really made this defense begin playing up to their talent level.   We may not have the best talent, but no way it's as bad as they've played this year.

And I like it that he made adjustments pretty quickly.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then Marvin made is in game adjustments and fixed the problem.

Nice try slappy. Guys got tired of being/playing as one of the worst defenses in NFL history, getting laughed at in public places, unable to turn on a radio without their own children starting to point fingers at them, and certainly not wanting to face another week of the same so they started to actually play with fire, use their hands to shed blockers and read and react better than both the 2nd graders that they were portraying and the 2nd grade teacher who was teaching them...
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is something that I think I heard someone suggest a year or two ago, but I dismissed it as crazy talk.  However after we gave Marvin a new contract after last season I no longer consider anything around here as impossible.

So what are the chances that we bring in a new head coach and keep Marvin as defensive coordinator?

They would not promote Hue over Marvin, but a new head coach may actually value Marvin as a DC.

Marvin may actually be worn out having to deal with the BS that goes along with being head coach of Mike Brown's team, but as DC he could just concentrate on coaching and leave all the publicity, face of the franchise work to some one new.

I still do not think it will happen, but I think it is at least a possibility.

Marvin's message is stale.  Players no longer buy his BS and stupid annual phrases.  It's one thing if you've won something and he hasn't (divisions don't count either, players want chances at championships above anything - even their own personal success).

Marv has to go.  Leadership is not a title on the door it's the person who has followers, and Marv doesn't have any.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:33 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Nice try slappy. Guys got tired of being/playing as one of the worst defenses in NFL history, getting laughed at in public places, unable to turn on a radio without their own children starting to point fingers at them, and certainly not wanting to face another week of the same so they started to actually play with fire, use their hands to shed blockers and read and react better than both the 2nd graders that they were portraying and the 2nd grade teacher who was teaching them...

Oh, right, that makes perfect sense.  they were not embarrassed giving up 495 yds to the Falcons, 481 to the Steelers, 551 to the Chiefs, 576 to the Bucs, or 509 to the Saints under Teryl Austin, but suddenly when Marvin takes over they get embarrassed by giving up 2 good drives by the Chargers on the road.

That is the only possible explanation.  Rolleyes
Reply/Quote