Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have got to get me one of these!
You won't hear me gush too often about firearms. They are useful and have a purpose. But there are a couple that have caught my eye over the years for aesthetic, historical, or other reasons. So, I was watching the movie "Wind River" the other day when I fell in love with this baby:

[Image: mtvQ0YaGKZ9puNqcZ3KrzXpfBdq.jpg]

It's a Marlin 1895SBL, a lever-action that fires a .45-70 round. It is primarily for hunting big game. It was also featured in "Jurassic World"

I figure that might satisfy my lust until I can afford a Stoner or Barrett .50 cal!

(On a side note: I didn't realize until now that Jeremy Renner was a lefty, Righties never notice these things... until it is too late! LOL!).
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Good movie and even better gun. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 10:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: You won't hear me gush too often about firearms. They are useful and have a purpose. But there are a couple that have caught my eye over the years for aesthetic, historical, or other reasons. So, I was watching the movie "Wind River" the other day when I fell in love with this baby:

It's a Marlin 1895SBL, a lever-action that fires a .45-70 round. It is primarily for hunting big game. It was also featured in "Jurassic World"

I figure that might satisfy my lust until I can afford a Stoner or Barrett .50 cal!

(On a side note: I didn't realize until now that Jeremy Renner was a lefty, Righties never notice these things... until it is too late! LOL!).

That is one beautiful rifle.  About the Lefty thing?  What's weird, is that I shoot handguns with my Left hand, and long guns from the Right shoulder.  Just like I throw darts Left handed, and throw a ball right handed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 10:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is one beautiful rifle.  About the Lefty thing?  What's weird, is that I shoot handguns with my Left hand, and long guns from the Right shoulder.  Just like I throw darts Left handed, and throw a ball right handed.

It packs a punch. The combo of the round and the rifle can knock down a bear. How 'bout that for home defense?

This is how you end a firefight:

I've met some people who switch hands for different tasks. But when I use my left hand, it always feels like someone else is doing it! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 10:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: You won't hear me gush too often about firearms. They are useful and have a purpose. But there are a couple that have caught my eye over the years for aesthetic, historical, or other reasons. So, I was watching the movie "Wind River" the other day when I fell in love with this baby:

You need a gun like that because you are a big game hunter or do you just need to "compensate"?
Reply/Quote

I've never been a real big lever action fan but I want one myself. Sweet looking gun and perfect for its purpose.

I've got a TC Encore and have several barrels for it and have been wanting to get a 45-70 barrel but haven't yet. I may just not and get one of these.

I remember my uncle having a 444 Marlin way back in the day, lever gun, and it packed a punch. The 45-70 will do anything you want it to at reasonable ranges which covers like 90% of your shots around here.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, no flak jacket stopping that!! Awesome rifle!  Might have to start shopping for one..... 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You need a gun like that because you are a big game hunter or do you just need to "compensate"?

Definitely compensation.

But we do get some big ass spiders in the house out here that require a little extra firepower. Ninja
Reply/Quote

I actually shoot all rifles or shotguns left handed, pool also. My father was a lefty and he taught me that way. I use to drive a certain Range Captain mad when I shot... Handguns are a whole different thing, right handed for me. 
.50, what the hell you gonna destroy??  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:19 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Definitely compensation.

But we do get some big ass spiders in the house out here that require a little extra firepower. Ninja

I have heard AZ has damn big spiders, but I'd be more worried about the rattlers myself!!  Funny question for you Zona, how did they make all those westerns in AZ and no one every was bit by a rattler?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've never been a real big lever action fan but I want one myself. Sweet looking gun and perfect for its purpose.

I've got a TC Encore and have several barrels for it and have been wanting to get a 45-70 barrel but haven't yet. I may just not and get one of these.

I remember my uncle having a 444 Marlin way back in the day, lever gun, and it packed a punch. The 45-70 will do anything you want it to at reasonable ranges which covers like 90% of your shots around here.

Exactly. Unless you are doing long-range sniping, in which case a Stoner or Barrett are the go to. But who does that, right? This one fits the bill on all other accounts.

I like the lever-action because it seems more reliable overall. Not sure if that it true in fact, but it seems that way.
Reply/Quote
Outstanding Western. Loved the ending.

Weird "he's a lefty" side note. Most of the lefties I know shoot right handed. My dad taught me how to shoot. He's a lefty, but shoots right handed. I asked him why he taught me that way, he just shrugged and said that's how his dad taught him (he was also left-handed).
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:25 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I have heard AZ has damn big spiders, but I'd be more worried about the rattlers myself!!  Funny question for you Zona, how did they make all those westerns in AZ and no one every was bit by a rattler?

Generally, snakes don't want to be any nearer to us than we want to be to them. I have lived out here for 15 years now and have tromped around out in the wilds quite often. But I did not see a single rattler until last year, when I saw two: a big ass Mohave out here in the freaking housing development where I live and a timber rattler up north in the mountains around Sedona. Generally if you stay out of caves, rocky areas, and bush areas where they like to hide or get cool, you won't see them much. Also, it depends upon the time of day. They are more active in the early morning or late evening I'm told.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:22 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I actually shoot all rifles or shotguns left handed, pool also. My father was a lefty and he taught me that way. I use to drive a certain Range Captain mad when I shot... Handguns are a whole different thing, right handed for me. 

Yeah, the .50 is definitely overkill for anything smaller than a bear. But if you want to shoot long-range...
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 11:22 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I actually shoot all rifles or shotguns left handed, pool also. My father was a lefty and he taught me that way. I use to drive a certain Range Captain mad when I shot... Handguns are a whole different thing, right handed for me. 

(04-16-2019, 11:28 AM)Benton Wrote: Outstanding Western. Loved the ending.

Weird "he's a lefty" side note. Most of the lefties I know shoot right handed. My dad taught me how to shoot. He's a lefty, but shoots right handed. I asked him why he taught me that way, he just shrugged and said that's how his dad taught him (he was also left-handed).

I was a gunners mate in the Navy and we were qualifying new guys for the security alert team. They had to qualify with all the small arms to be on it. 1911, M-14, and 870. This guy steps up to the line with the M-14 .308 of course, they got 5 practice rounds. Fire when ready... he shoots and yells ouch, I'm like whats wrong ? He says "nothing". I'm like ok, fire when ready. Boom - "oh shit". I said what the hell are you doing ? He seemed to be in proper stance. I was off to the side a bit so next round I got more behind him and he got ready and I yelled cease fire !

He was shooting right handed using his left eye basically laying his mouth /cheek across the top of the stock and it was belting him good ! I said why the hell are you shooting like that ? He says it's how I learned with dad's .22, I'm left eye dominant. I'm like this isn't a .22 you're gonna have to learn left handed or use your right eye. You're gonna need a trip to the dentist if you continue like this.

He ended up learning to use his right eye, he was right handed.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 10:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is one beautiful rifle.  About the Lefty thing?  What's weird, is that I shoot handguns with my Left hand, and long guns from the Right shoulder.  Just like I throw darts Left handed, and throw a ball right handed.

weird when I did my CCL I shot better with my left hand solo than my right..   ill have to try darts with the left...

think I was suppose to be  a lefty but raised a righty.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 01:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: weird when I did my CCL I shot better with my left hand solo than my right..   ill have to try darts with the left...

think I was suppose to be  a lefty but raised a righty.

It's kind of odd.  From the elbow down, Left dominant, from the elbow up, Right dominant.  Confused the hell out of my Dad, when I was a kid.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's kind of odd.  From the elbow down, Left dominant, from the elbow up, Right dominant.  Confused the hell out of my Dad, when I was a kid.

hell sounds like me...  I could bat both ways in baseball too.
Reply/Quote
How much does ammo cost for a .45-70?

Bet it is over a dollar a shot.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How much does ammo cost for a .45-70?

Bet it is over a dollar a shot.

Around $1.35 to $2.00 bucks a pop, depending on what you want.

However, it will take down a bull moose or a grizzly with one shot. That's one way to send a home invader flying out the door, regardless of body armor!

That said, you probably need to be within 100 to 200 yards. Velocity for the round drops precipitously after 100 yards. The round zeros at 100 yards and then drops about 6 inches at 200 yards. The drop at 250 yards is 28 inches!!!

I've been out here long enough to feel entitled to "cowboy it" a little. And since it doesn't appear like this old veteran out here is going to sell me his tommy gun...
Reply/Quote