Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have our left tackle in Free Agency
The one tackle I would really look at signing is Alejandro Villanueva for a few reasons

1. You can count on him to be healthy and play
2. His strength overall is protecting the QB.. what better to have him protecting Burrow blindside
3. He is a young 32, only played 6 seasons
4. Played his career in our own division knows the other teams well and what it takes to win in the AFC North....
5. Character- EX Vet.. enough said
6. Makes Steelers even weaker.. :)

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I too, thought Villanueva might be a viable free agent candidate for the Bengals to consider, until I was listening to the NFL guys on Sirius XM debating potential free agent Tackles.  His name came up, and I can't completely remember what they said;  But the thought that stuck in my mind was once the Steelers were unable to run with any sort of authority and regularity, Villanueva's pass blocking seemed to fall off a cliff.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The one tackle I would really look at signing is Alejandro Villanueva for a few reasons

1.  You can count on him to be healthy and play
2.  His strength overall is protecting the QB.. what better to have him protecting Burrow blindside
3.  He is a young 32, only played 6 seasons
4.  Played his career in our own division knows the other teams well and what it takes to win in the AFC North....
5.  Makes Steelers even weaker.. :)
Thoughts?
Heck no. LAWSON beat him.like a drum.in that MNF game.
He looked very.slow in pass protection
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with Daryl Williams at RT. Leave Jonah at LT unless they go Penei, then bump him or D. Williams in to guard.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I too, thought Villanueva might be a viable free agent candidate for the Bengals to consider, until I was listening to the NFL guys on Sirius XM debating potential free agent Tackles.  His name came up, and I can't completely remember what they said;  But the thought that stuck in my mind was once the Steelers were unable to run with any sort of authority and regularity, Villanueva's pass blocking seemed to fall off a cliff.

This year he was just ok.. but Steelers have been pass happy for a while and he is held up great.. no tackle is going to be perfect but what he brings to the table I see as better than other tackles by the points I made
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:14 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Heck no. LAWSON beat him.like a drum.in that MNF game.
He looked very.slow in pass protection

If we are going to pick one game and judge a player than we have no players to sign... Lawson did a great job, but how about the other years against the Bengals...

One game is not even close to cancelling him out... 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If we are going to pick one game and judge a player than we have no players to sign... Lawson did a great job, but how about the other years against the Bengals...

One game is not even close to cancelling him out... 

He can no longer play.at a high level.at LT. 
He struggled last season not vs the Bengals but other teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He can no longer play.at a high level.at LT. 

He had good games and up and down games but im not going to base it on one season... his resume of work and attributes bode very well... he will be signed with little as one of the top tackles in FA...
Reply/Quote
First off I love AV. All you have to do is google "Alejandro Villanueva, Alwyn Cashe" to know why.

Apparently last year was an "off" year but PFF still rated him in the mid 70's.

Don't know how many know this but we actually had him in camp after college and cut him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He can no longer play.at a high level.at LT. 

PFF would disagree
Quote:There’s immense value in solid, mid-tier offensive linemen, and that’s exactly what Villanueva has been throughout his career. He’s graded between 74.0 and 82.0 in each of his last five seasons; he ranks in the 54th percentile in PFF pass-blocking grade and the 46th percentile in pass-blocking grade on true pass sets during that time.
There’s a similar level of dependability to Villanueva’s game as a run-blocker. He ranks in the 74th percentile at avoiding negatively graded plays but just the 23rd percentile in positively graded plays. NFL teams must avoid having disastrous options at offensive tackle, and Villanueva’s profile makes him a valuable asset.
Reply/Quote
No to old free agents that won't even be here by the time they eventually fire Zac.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 08:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The one tackle I would really look at signing is Alejandro Villanueva for a few reasons

2.  His strength overall is protecting the QB.. what better to have him protecting Burrow blindside
4.  Played his career in our own division knows the other teams well and what it takes to win in the AFC North....
5. Character-  EX Vet.. enough said
6.  Makes Steelers even weaker.. :)

Thoughts?

No.

Reason #1-- He's old. He'll be 33 during next season.
Reason #2-- He's a LT. Only played RT 4 times in his career to start 2015.
Reason #3-- He gives up too many pressures.
Reason #4-- He's only been "good" one year in his career; 2018. That's 3 full seasons ago.
Reason #5-- He's the kind of guy the Bengals used to get and act like it was some great upgrade.
Reason #6-- He's old. Mellow

Synopsis: It's a terrible idea. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I hope that they sniff around that general "tier" and likely price range at OT, but I'd be wary of Villanueva. Not every OT in the league is going to age gracefully. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 11:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No.

Reason #4-- He's only been "good" one year in his career; 2018. That's 3 full seasons ago.
Reason #5-- He's the kind of guy the Bengals used to get and act like it was some great upgrade.

Synopsis: It's a terrible idea. You 
Your answers are weak and lack substance  he will easily br signed by a contending  team if we dont. 
Reply/Quote

5. Character-  EX Vet.. enough said
6.  Makes Steelers even weaker.. :)

Thoughts?

Way too old and on the downside. He has been in decline.

Hard Pass
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Your answers are weak and lack substance he will easily br signed by a contending  team if we dont. 

And you don't know your butthole from a hole in the ground.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
No thanks.

If we go after a Steelers o-lineman I’d prefer Feiler. He’s only 28, and can play G or T.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 11:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No.

Synopsis: It's a terrible idea. 

(03-09-2021, 12:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Your answers are weak and lack substance  he will easily br signed by a contending  team if we dont. 

(03-09-2021, 01:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No thanks.

If we go after a Steelers o-lineman I’d prefer Feiler. He’s only 28, and can play G or T.

Insubordinate and churlish!

Reply/Quote
IMO, there is a Steelers lineman they should definitely be looking at...but it's Matt Feiler. He'll be 29 and offers tremendous versatility, being able to start at both G spots and RT. His contract should be pretty reasonable as well.
Reply/Quote
I have our left tackle on the team already. Sure we could use some insurance. But I want the first OL taken in the draft two years ago to stay where he is and continue his development.

The injuries our disheartening, but I still think we have a stud on our hands.
Reply/Quote