Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I haven't got the "Bug" yet
I haven't got the "Bug" yet and it's really starting to worry me. I'm just not excited this year about football like I've been the past 36 years and I don't know why. I watched the first series last week and changed the channel and this week I didn't even turn on the game, I don't even know who won!

Maybe as this week goes on and that third preseason game gets closer, things will pick up for me, I don't know. I hope so though because I love the Bengals...I live and die with every win and loss.

If not this preseason game, let's hope I get the "Fever" for more cowbell because I want it. I really don't want to miss out on the Bengals Super Bowl run.

Maybe, this means the Bengals win it all this year. I'm not excited so they go all the way and win the whole thing!!!

That last line is for those who think that fans superstitions have no say in how the team does...you know who you are, lol. Plus, I'm just trying to lighten my mood because it's rather depressing not being excited for the season like I've been for so long, even through the 90's.
Reply/Quote
Me either. Maybe it's because I was so pumped about that Andrew Billings would do for our front 7. On the other hand, guys like Hardison, D. Williams, & David Dean have looked pretty good. Still not as good aas what I'd hoped Billings would look like.

Margus Hunt might have caught a flight from Detroit to Estonia. He blows. And he knows he blows. Sad.

Back to your point, I think the injuries have us all concerned, and maybe a little bummed out. I'm glad Dennard will be back, but who knows for how long? We were all hoping for big things from WJIII, especially with Dre K looking over matched again tonight.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Preseason is boring enough as it is. And especially when you're following a team like the Bengals. There's never a plethora of incoming free agents. There's no huge signing to watch closely. Not drastic changes in the staff, the schemes, the system, the philosophy, etc. There's simply not that many things that are any different. And that, in and of itself, can generate a lot of debate. But I certainly don't think it lends itself to any more excitement in the offseason.

We know what we have in Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Whitworth, Atkins, Peko, Dunlap, Johnson, Mauluga, Pacman, etc. Every one of those guys has at least 5 years in. And how many of would be considered "characters"? Maybe Pacman? The fact, is they're a boring bunch (good thing). There's no crazy drama surrounding this team. Even the players, as far as elevating the entertainment value of fake football, are kinda boring.

Wake us all up when week 1 starts. Let the teams with new HC's and top 10 picks get excited for the preseason. The rest of are just trying not to die of boredom and are hoping that no one gets hurt. This time of year can be described one of two ways: Snoozefest, or a tease. And both equally suck.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 02:49 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Preseason is boring enough as it is.  And especially when you're following a team like the Bengals.  There's never a plethora of incoming free agents.  There's no huge signing to watch closely.  Not drastic changes in the staff, the schemes, the system, the philosophy, etc.  There's simply not that many things that are any different.  And that, in and of itself, can generate a lot of debate.  But I certainly don't think it lends itself to any more excitement in the offseason.

We know what we have in Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Whitworth, Atkins, Peko, Dunlap, Johnson, Mauluga, Pacman, etc.  Every one of those guys has at least 5 years in.  And how many of would be considered "characters"?  Maybe Pacman?  The fact, is they're a boring bunch (good thing).  There's no crazy drama surrounding this team.  Even the players, as far as elevating the entertainment value of fake football, are kinda boring.

Wake us all up when week 1 starts.  Let the teams with new HC's and top 10 picks get excited for the preseason.  The rest of are just trying not to die of boredom and are hoping that no one gets hurt.  This time of year can be described one of two ways: Snoozefest, or a tease.  And both equally suck.

Good post. Not drama and surprise this year because we know who we are and what we can do and we're going to do it this year. 
Reply/Quote
I never really cared for preseason. I'm pretty hyped right now, but that's only because our first game is about 3 weeks away. Preseason is the time for overreactions. You really can't tell how good that rookie is, or how much someone improved over the offseason because a lot of starters who know they have a secure starting spot are half assing it, and the rest of the people are either rookies or not good enough to be starters. It's still fun watching preseason just because real football hasn't been on in forever, but it's not even close to the first game of the year and you're finally able to watch real football.
Reply/Quote
I get crazy fired up at the draft and it never wanes....after that it is just a waiting game that nearly kills me. Being the nerd that I am, I watch the preseason games, multiple times. Even get the coaches cut. I love looking at each player and seeing what they do and how they can help the team. (or not, Hunt).
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 12:37 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I haven't got the "Bug" yet and it's really starting to worry me. I'm just not excited this year about football like I've been the past 36 years and I don't know why. I watched the first series last week and changed the channel and this week I didn't even turn on the game, I don't even know who won!

Maybe as this week goes on and that third preseason game gets closer, things will pick up for me, I don't know. I hope so though because I love the Bengals...I live and die with every win and loss.

If not this preseason game, let's hope I get the "Fever" for more cowbell because I want it. I really don't want to miss out on the Bengals Super Bowl run.

Maybe, this means the Bengals win it all this year. I'm not excited so they go all the way and win the whole thing!!!

That last line is for those who think that fans superstitions have no say in how the team does...you know who you are, lol. Plus, I'm just trying to lighten my mood because it's rather depressing not being excited for the season like I've been for so long, even through the 90's.
It happens with age for a lot of people.  I'm 49 and it just doesn't mean as much.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
When preseason is boring and uninteresting that is usually a sign that you have a pretty good team.
Reply/Quote
I didn't think about it all offseason like I normally do. However, when I turned on the radio last Friday at work and heard the opening of the first preseason broadcast, it all came back immediately.

Despite all the injuries and attrition, I feel pretty good about this team going in. I think some of the young players are really going to emerge and provide some energy and hunger.
Reply/Quote
Ever since the strikes in the 80s I decided not to contribute any of 'my' money to support ANY of the 3 major sports outside of my DTV package and I wouldn't even have that if I still lived in Dayton.

I still follow and root for Bengals and Reds but not like I used to. I have a whole lot of priorities way more important in my life, thn sports, and I've also realized these guys have a life outside of football. At the end of the day, football is their 9-5 job.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 12:43 AM)Shady Wrote: Margus Hunt might have caught a flight from Detroit to Estonia. He blows. And he knows he blows. Sad.

I did notice early in the game that Hunt gets some serious pressure when he starts his rush a full count too soon.  He was in the backfield before anyone even knew what was happening!  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It happens with age for a lot of people.  I'm 49 and it just doesn't mean as much.  

is there a colored pill that can be prescribed for this affliction?
Reply/Quote